Serves meat, veg options available. Has a separate vegetarian/vegan menu section with dishes containing seitan, faux meat, vegan cheese; has soy ice cream. Previously named Local Flavors. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, American, Bakery, Non-veg

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by Vespatarian
Marsha48
Marsha48

Vegan Paradise in Northern Indiana!

Posted on 07 / 05 / 2013

Vegan's dream in northern Indiana! They asked right away as we entered if we wanted the vegan/vegetarian menu and while we ordered they confirmed everything was vegan (salad dressings, etc...)

The food was great, I wanted to order more but we only had enough stomach space for 1 meal ;)

I had the "bacon" seitan and Daiya "cheddar" panini with a fresh salad...delicious! My husband had the Chipotle "chicken" seitan wrap and we kept examining the seitan because we couldn't believe it wasn't really chicken! Everything had great flavor and were good prices. They offer everything on the regular menu as a vegan option as well, so you can go with a group that have mixed diets.

The workers were so friendly and checked on us regularly. We got some groceries at the end and added them to our food bill. We will definitely be back if we are in the area again!

Find them on Facebook for updates on hours, menu changes, etc...

Pros: Separate Vegan/Vegetarian menu, Great prices, Many vegan options
Cons: No vegan desserts listed
  • scarletp5 scarletp5

They have at least one vegan dessert -- they make vegan milkshakes! I don't know if it's listed anywhere though.

vivavegan23
vivavegan23

Comfort food and other treats

Posted on 04 / 07 / 2012

I grew up in Chesterton so I was excited when my family told me that Local Flavors opened. Local Flavors is a family run store and restaurant. I have been there several times and have tried almost all of the sandwiches that are on their menu. I would recommend the Vegan Gyro and Vegan Pub Sandwich. Although pricey for just a sandwich and plain chips (7.50), they are a good treat once and a while. They also sell Chicago soy dairy Ice Cream and have a store with vegan faux meat, soy cheeses, and other processed items. Their store items can be a bit pricey as well. They usually have a fresh baked good for sale as well, which are usually tasty.
They also have meat options and dairy Ice Cream from Valpo Velvet.

Tish
Tish

Wonderful Vegan Food/Shopping

Posted on 12 / 22 / 2011

I have eaten here twice and will be going back often. The vegan food is fabulous and it's reasonable. They have non-vegan options as well if you have other people with you. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. There is also an ice cream counter (vegan), wonderful desserts (also vegan options)and coffee available. In addition, the whole restaurant is situated in a mini store where you can get groceries and some very eclectic items. They have a good assortment of unique children's items. I like to shop here when I need a different gift or stocking stuffers. One of my favorite places to go! BTW, the vegan Italian "Beef" is amazing. This is a little hard to find the first time. Look for sign for Sawgrass Mall on Calumet.

Pros: Great Food, Good Variety, Reasonable

happycowgirl
happycowgirl

The Best Veg Restaurant in NW Indiana

Posted on 05 / 05 / 2011

I had the veggie bacon, egg & cheese sandwich. I asked them to add avocado and it was no problem at all. This sandwich was grilled to perfection. An absolute delight. The veggie gyro is another crowd pleaser, as are the waffles.

Note that this place is in the Sawgrass shopping center (a small/medium strip mall) and was a little hard to find. Look for the Sawgrass sign on Calumet. The restaurant is in the middle.

For out-of-towners, the addition of this restaurant makes Chesterton a "veggie destination" in my book. It's an hour from Chicago which makes it a great day trip. Chesterton is filled with antique shops. The Sawgrass mall itself is filled with different craft stands and vendors. The Brassie Golf Club is great 18 hole public course in Chesterton. The Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore is 10 minutes north.

Pros: amazing food, friendly service, lots of parking & seating
Cons: little hard to find
Mike219
Mike219

Best vegan meal in NWI

Posted on 04 / 21 / 2011

I have been to Local Flavors four times now and it just keeps getting better. From the calzones to the Temptation vegan ice cream this place is truly a vegan oasis in the food desert of North West Indiana. The staff are super friendly and knowledgeable, the prices are reasonable and the portions are perfect. I just can't say enough good about this place.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff
choice4mecrueltyfree
choice4mecrueltyfree

awesome!!!!!!

Posted on 04 / 19 / 2011

i went here last week and am going again this week because it was so good. i had vegan blta and it was amazing. everyone liked their food. i had a vegan ice cream cone and i felt like i was cheating and eating dairy. my sister-a meat and dairy eater-ate one too and liked it. she thought the mint was sorta weird tasting but thought the chocolate was amazing. i cant wait to go back. and the store has lots of choices of meats. the barbecue skewers are wonderful. and the workers of both the store and the restaurant were so helpful and fabulous. loved it!!!!!

Pros: good prices, wonderful food, several vegan choices
Cons: close early
Vespatarian
Vespatarian

The good stuff...

Posted on 04 / 04 / 2011

Local Flavors is well worth the trip! They offer many different menu options ranging from fresh fruit smoothies to savory seitan dishes. It is such a great alternative to the usual veg/vegan options available locally. The menu is constantly changing so check in often to see what's happening!

Pros: Good value, Friendly staff, Vegan friendly

Dear Owner and Manager of Tiger Lily Cafe: