Serves meat, veg options available. Family owned and operated restaurant serves Gujarati street food with many vegan-friendly options. A myriad of dishes and flavors, including desserts. Cafeteria-style. Vegan meetup groups are welcome. No longer all veg as of July 2012. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Take-out, Non-veg
2416 Arapahoe Ave (Folsom St)
Boulder, Colorado 80302

vegfam
vegfam

Love! Love! Love!

Posted on 07 / 24 / 2014

We were visiting Colorado from NY and dying for some good food! This place was so good we came back the next day as well! We were there for lunch both times and had the lunch curry specials. You had a choice of 1,2, or 3 curries with rice. We all got 3 and it was only $7.95. The portions were very generous and both my 10&11 year old boys had to bring some home with them. Each time they had 4 options that were vegan and the owners were extremely helpful explaining exactly what was in them, as well as showing us what else they had available. Their menu is clearly labeled as to what is vegan and there were lots of options. The curries we had included veggie curry, okra, chick pea, and lentil. So flavorful!! I highly recommend this place and would go out of my way if we were ever close by again!

Pros: amazing flavor, very reasonable prices, service/staff
kiochi
kiochi

Amazing Food, Inexpensive, Friendly

Posted on 07 / 04 / 2014

(I would give this five stars but can't because they now serve meat)

This is one of our favorite restaurants and we go here almost daily. It's cheap enough that you can actually afford to eat here every day for lunch. It is owned by a Mom and Pop (literally) who are both indian and vegetarian. The entire menu used to be veg but now they have some meat curries.

For lunch they have a "thaali" which consists of homestyle entrees that you can get 1,2 or 3 of and comes with rice and you can add a whole-wheat roti (the naan is not vegan). Ask them which ones are vegan (usually 4-5 are).

On the menu, many, many things are vegan or can be made vegan (even the korma and masala can be made vegan if you ask). This is one of the only places around to get dosa and idli, which are both amazing (and vegan). Their sambar is really great too!

The biryani is great, but one order can feed a family of four. You have been warned!

They can make their dishes as spicy (or not) as desired, just ask.

I really feel great about eating here, since the owners are so nice, and happy to accommodate vegans (even jains). As has been said in other comments, it's a very casual atmosphere. They do not serve beer/wine, but you can bring your own bottle of wine and they will even give you glasses to drink it there!

Updated from previous review on Friday July 04, 2014

Pros: Amazing Flavorful food, Inexpensive, large portions, Very friendly owners
Troktagon
Troktagon

Greasy

Posted on 06 / 23 / 2013

Went here with some colleagues. Had a few vegan options, but they were greasy and not very impressive.

Cons: Greasy

Frosty_Yogini
Frosty_Yogini

Best vegan/vegetarian food in Boulder/Denver area

Posted on 04 / 01 / 2013

Go to Tiffin's!!!

I used to live in Boulder and went back to visit last week. Tiffin's was on my must-do list. They've painted it since my last visit, but it still isn't a place you go to for decor. You go there for the incredible food and service!

It's family owned and operated and those who work there are incredibly helpful. Menu items are clearly labeled vegan or vegetarian. I would estimate 30-40% of the menu is vegan, 40-50% vegetarian. The woman I spoke with said they used to be entirely veg, but economics forced them into carrying some meat to increase customer base.

They spiced the food to my liking (I love spice) and suggested items to me, as I didn't know some of the selections. The service is quick and the prices are incredibly reasonable.

I would rate this the best vegan restaurant in the Boulder/Denver area (yes, I have been to Watercourse and Leaf ... this is better)! The food is consistently amazing. The friendliness of the staff helps, as well, as they will assist you in choices and customize items. I did not see that their naan was vegetarian, not vegan and ordered it. The woman helping me asked if I was vegan, as all other items I had ordered were; when I said yes, she pointed out that naan wasn't vegan and steered me to a similar (yummy) dish that was suitable.

I also like helping out a small, family business in the increasingly chain-oriented market in the area.

Pros: incredible food, wide selection of vegan options, helpful, friendly staff
Cons: decor is basic; not a date place
KasloColorado
KasloColorado

Great place for vegans

Posted on 04 / 01 / 2012

Every vegan in the area should try this place!

This restaurant serves inexpensive Indian street food. All items are vegetarian. When I asked the staff about vegan options, they were extremely knowledgeable, helpful, and comfortable with this question. They told me that all but two entrees could easily be made vegan and a couple of desserts had cream. When I asked about a couple of ready-made items in a case by the register, a man gave my husband and I multiple free samples! The menu is large, and the food is fast, cheap, and delicious! Very unique flavors compared to most Indian and Nepalese restaurants. Definitely more vegan options than any other Indian restaurant I've been to. Be warned, though... They definitely focus on food more than decor. The atmosphere is simple and plain, but very clean. Personally, I think they made a great choice. Where else can you get a fresh, hot vegan dinner with friendly, prompt service for under $7?

By the way, this restaurant can be a little difficult to find. It is on Arapahoe, between Folsom and 28th, in the Safeway shopping center. It's between Papa John's and Cold Stone Creamery.

Pros: Vegan-friendly, Large selection, Inexpensive
Cons: Fairly plain atmosphere
paprika579
paprika579

Friendly, fast and delicious

Posted on 12 / 09 / 2011

We have eaten here twice and enjoyed it both times. The food is very good, cheap and comes out fairly fast. We are both vegan and they have several vegan options and even have a vegan manga lassi! I highly recommend this to anyone wanting affordable and delicious veg food in Boulder. My only critique would be that sometimes it can take them awhile to refill your water or serve you water.

Pros: Affordable, Delicious, Fast
Cons: Service can be slow
lisamoshop
lisamoshop

Jain and Vegan friendly

Posted on 12 / 03 / 2011

A very laid back friendly casual dining family-owned restaurant featuring Southern Indian vegetarian comfort food. Lots of vegan options and even options for Jains, who avoid eating root vegetables because of the destruction to small creatures that come when they are pulled out of the ground.

Staff were very welcoming and helped this newcomer to Southern Indian cuisine choose something yummy. I went with the Samosa Chat (vegan) --a samosa topped with spicy tomato/ginger curry, chutney and lentil noodles. I also had lentil soup (vegan), chai (had dairy) and a saffron sweetened yogurt (forget what it was called.)

Even though I avoid dairy I want to try everything on the menu at least once just because it is obvious that everything is made with both skill and love. I'd eat there everyday if I could and the prices are so low and the portions so big, it's not entirely impossible to do so.

Pros: Yummy Food, Very nice staff, Portions high/price low
Cons: None, Whatsoever, Srsly
Munchi-chi
Munchi-chi

South Indian Deliciousness

Posted on 10 / 17 / 2011

This south indian "street food" is laid back & totally casual. The food is outstanding and SPICY. I've had a hand full of dishes so far and my favorite being the Samosa Chat. You can get a Vegan Mango Lassi, just ask if it's not in the fridge as they may have some in the back. Sooo YUMMY! And you need it to handle the spice! Also, though it's totally veg, you must ask for vegan.

Yoginiina