Tiffin Wallah

Vegetarian Indian restaurant and tiffin delivery service located east of Madison Square Park. Offers an inexpensive weekday lunch buffet for $8 (as of Jun 2013). Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Take-out, Delivery

First Review by greenjdmd
Vegan-Tiks
Vegan-Tiks

Great Indian Food

4 Posted on 06 / 13 / 2014

Loved the food here, very tasty, and proper Indian spice level. Good choice for vegans. Tastes like home-cooked. Lots of Indians eating here which is always a good sign.

Pros: Great Food, Good Service, Decent Price
Cons: Limited English From Some Of The waiters
harris
harris

Rude Service

2 Posted on 12 / 24 / 2013

Mediocre food and rude service. We will not be going back.

Cons: mediocre food, rude service
JayadhvajaDasa
JayadhvajaDasa

Tiffin Wallah Real Indian Restaurant

5 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2013

I went to visit New York and some of my friends recommended me this restaurant. The food is great, real Indian food, very clean place. And very important thing is the price $8 all you can eat, from 11 to 3. Not a spice place which is very rare for a Indian Restaurant. Any vegetarian or vegan will feel happy here. There is not any other Indian restaurant in New York like this one

Pros: Great Price, Clean , Real Indian food not spice
Cons: non
Vegan Vagabond
Vegan Vagabond

My current favorite Indian place in NYC

5 Posted on 03 / 12 / 2013

This place is excellent! Very tasty, made fresh, and very vegan friendly. Everything on the menu is vegetarian and all non vegan items are clearly marked with a blue dot, indicating that it contains dairy. The service is good, the prices are fair, the atmosphere is pleasant and the food is tasty. What's not to love?

Pros: Many vegan items, Flavorful, Fresh
Cons: Not closer to my house!
sglcklch
sglcklch

Wonderful restaurant

5 Posted on 02 / 02 / 2013

Had lunch with my partner on a Sunday. While many restaurants we walked by were pretty much empty, this place was hopping! That already said something.

I came here especially for the dhokla, which I had never seen on a restaurant menu before until now. I had come across the recipe many times on the internet and had been dying to try it in its authentic form before trying to make it at home. Here they served it with the classic tamarind chutney and a cilantro chutney. I had nothing to compare to since it was my fist time eating it, but I totally loved it.

Then we got the classic Chinese-inspired Indian dish - gobi Manchurian. There is no standard recipe; it can vary with the restaurant considerably. Here the texture was spot on, but I found the flavor slightly on the tart side. Still, we devoured it with the complimentary rice.

Last we ordered the Pondicherry masala dosa, which was also something that I'd never seen elsewhere. It resembled a spring dosa in that they were both served already cut up in individual sections. The filling was also similar but I could taste the nuances of spices used. The sambar and the coconut chutney were hands down the best I'd ever had. They were much chunkier and tastier than the watered down version served at most other places. Needless to say, we cleaned the plate in minutes.

The setting was very clean with relatively modern decor. No Bollywood stuff playing on TV either. I also liked that they put a sink just outside the restroom for people who just wanted to rinse their hands real quick. We paid about $30 for our meal with tip included; actually nothing on the lunch menu was more than $10 as far as I could remember. Portion sizes were generous, food was delicious, it was truly fantastic value!

Pros: excellent food, great value

Paulie10022
Paulie10022

Best Indian in NYC

5 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2010

I am one of the organizers of the New York City Vegetarian Meetup Group and we recently organized a meetup for about 40 people at this wonderful restaurant in Curry Hill.

The owner, Peter and staff were all incredibly friendly and really provided attentive service, even for a large group like ours. But you really want to know about the food. They specialize in Southern Indian food, although there is also a good variety of Northern Indian dishes, which tend to be more familiar to most people. The waiters are happy to explain the Southern Indian dishes and recommend food based on your tastes. Having grown up eating Indian food in the UK, I am generally unimpressed with the standard of Indian food in New York - particularly the non-availability of thalis - which allow you to have a good variety of dishes at one sitting. Tiffin Wallah has 4 different thalis, with different combinations and including a wonderful dessert. Vegan choices are clearly marked.

SInce our group visit, I have been back several times, and always get a warm welcome and fantastic food. This is my highest recommendation for Indian food in New York. I've heard that the lunch buffet is also delicious and great value, but have not made it there myself.

Pros: Delicious food, Great value, Friendly, helpful staff
slo0go
slo0go

Perfect Valentine's Day Dinner

5 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2009

This place is perfect for a date. Its intimate yet trendily decorated space makes for a cozy dinner. The food was absolutely delicious. I loved the assorted tiffin appetizers and our huge, crispy stuffed pancake thing. I had never had anything like it. I love Indian food, and I found this style of cooking and presentation to be a very different way of enjoying it. Yum! Plus, there was excellent service. Who could ask for more?

Pros: Lovely ambiance, Intimate space, Excellent service
Cons: Might be too small for some
Bow
Bow

Great food, fantastic value

5 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2009

We liked this place so much we came here three times in a fortnight. The lunch buffet is incredible value, and is almost entirely vegan. The food is really delicious, filling and healthy. The blend of spices and flavours is just right, and the breads are excellent. I also liked that the buffet includes fresh salad.
We also came here once outside lunchtime, and ordered a la carte. We had vegetable bhajia for a starter and dosas for our main. The food was again delicious, and although it was more expensive than the buffet, it was still excellent value for Manhattan. I was faint with hunger when we got there and full to bursting when we left - the portions are generous and the food is satisfying. Even the coconut sauce for the dosa was vegan.
Last but not least, this is a convenient location - close to midtown, but still walking distance from the East Village if you want to go there for dessert afterwards (although you may be too full!).
Overall, we highly recommend this wonderful restaurant.

Pros: Delicious food, Outstanding value, Good location
mandi
mandi

amazing food and great value

5 Posted on 01 / 13 / 2008

this has to be one of the best value vegetarian buffets in the world. the food was great, 3 curries, daal, chippatis, rices, and salad for $6.50. the food was very fresh and well prepared and the place clean and cozy. staff friendly and efficient. highly recommended.

Pros: excellent food
Cons: may have to wait - but its worth it
greenjdmd
greenjdmd

good food, cozy atmosphere

4 Posted on 08 / 16 / 2007

Very tasty and affordable buffet in a comfortable environment with pleasant staff.

Pros: fresh ingrediants, very low cost
Cons: odd name

Dear Owner and Manager of Tiffin Wallah: