Tien Yarn Vegetarian Food

Provides Chinese and Thai vegan food with some mock meat dishes. Located in the M.S.I. Tower building since Jan 2013, a few blocks down Soi 36 from Sukhumvit; previously at Sathupradit Road, Central Praram 3, Yannawa. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Chinese, Thai

Aya
Aya

It's a scam!

Posted on 12 / 18 / 2014

There was no other staff in the restaurant but one middle-aged lady who didn't speak a single word of English. The restaurant was both a typical Thai buffet where you get a plate with rice and two or three toppings, and it also had a la carte dishes (60-80 baht each). It was impossible to find out which dishes had dairy or eggs in them.

I chose the buffet and pointed at a liquid Chinese cabbage dish, a tvp soy dish and an egg plant dish. The lady put the rice on a bigger plate and the three options I chose into three small bowls. I had no second thoughts about that, as the day before it was served in the same way in another similar place. I just wish I had read the previous comment!

When it was time to pay, it turned out these three spoonfuls of cold food that was not even freshly made were 160 baht! I asked why the price was so high, but the lady could not understand a thing, just showed on the calculator that one bowl (=one spoonful) was 50 baht. Another customer tried to help and said the price was so high because the food was placed on separate plates.

I was shocked and asked the lady to show me a written price of each of the options, but she just insisted that I pay 160 baht by showing the price on the calculator. As stupid as it sounds, at  that moment I just paid for the food and only after I left I realized it was yet another scam scheme.

In most places in Thailand rice with two or three toppings costs 35-45 baht, even if the food is served on separate plates.

Avoid this place. I also think this place should be removed from Happycow.

Cons: One of Southeast Asian scams, No English spoken
medus
medus

Bad experience

Posted on 12 / 16 / 2014

The restaurant was very quiet when I came in the early afternoon. The lady working there spoke no English and it was hard to ask about ingredients, etc. She gave me no menu and I had to find it myself. The prices ranged from 60 to 90 baht per dish. I ordered tom yam soup for 80 baht and a rice plate with three already made side dishes from a buffet. The buffet had no prices written anywhere so I assumed that it costs similar to dishes from the menu. After all, I ate from similar buffet places many times where similar dish costs 35-45 baht. Wrong! When there was time to pay, the lady showed on a calculator it's 240 baht - 80 for the soup and 160 for the rice plate. At first it seemed like a mistake because for same quality and service I paid maximum 45 baht in other places in Bangkok. Finally, the only other people eating there translated lady's explanation that the rice plate can be served in two ways: on top of rice when it costs 50 baht, and on separate plates when it then costs a whopping 160 baht (for nearly the same amount of food, and the price is not written anywhere, neither on the menu nor on the wall). The lady didn't say anything about that before serving the food and decided by herself to put everything on separate plates. Also, it seems strange that they have so different prices for same food and don't advertise them anywhere in the restaurant. If I knew beforehand I would have not ordered it because it's ridiculous to pay such money for a few spoonfuls of cold premade food. The whole situation seemed like a scam when they don't tell you something important and you end up paying too much. A place to avoid.

Cons: staff speaks no English, ridiculous buffet prices
Durianrider
Durianrider

Still pumping out food early March 2014.

Posted on 03 / 01 / 2014

Friendly older lady behind the bar enjoyed serving me up plates of rice and enjoyed watching some Thai singing comp on the massive TV they had in the cafe.

Will be back. Quality rice served here. Stupidly cheap.

Its facing the soi 36 at ground level of the MSI building. Big english 'vegetarian food' sign on the windows. You walk down the soi thinking 'no way there is a veg cafe out here...' then you find it!

Pros: friendly, clean, big range
Cons: limited engrish

earthville
earthville

Tasty

Posted on 02 / 21 / 2014

On two visits to Tien Yarn, i got to sample 5 or 6 different dishes and enjoyed everything.

At lunch there was a buffet offering a fairly even mix of mock meats and vegetable-oriented dishes. I got three items over brown rice for 60 Baht.

An dinner, i ordered a la carte from the menu and received a flavorful curry and nicely prepared greens.

Very little English was spoken, but we managed.

If you're a big fan of mock meats (which they do well), you might find Tien Yarn to be worth a special trip. Otherwise, there isn't too much to recommend this place over any of the other veg*n places in central Bangkok, but if you're in the neighborhood, it's a good option.

tiptopcat
tiptopcat

Great stuff!

Posted on 10 / 26 / 2013

Really nice and friendly place... will be back for sure.

Pros: Friendly, Good food, Good value
AmericanPhil
AmericanPhil

perfect

Posted on 04 / 11 / 2013

King! Very cheap and great food!!!
Updated from previous review on Thursday December 27, 2012

Pros: mmm, good, food
jre8995
jre8995

Good food and service

Posted on 01 / 24 / 2013

Clean, friendly place with good food. Will go back before updating to great.

danielReich
danielReich

Okay food, good service

Posted on 12 / 08 / 2012

The staff was nice and the food was alright.

FunFuji
FunFuji

one of the best places in town

Posted on 10 / 12 / 2012

Food is excellent, I go at least once a week. Try the gai saap (mock fried chicken in spicy isaan salad), kao pad pla kem (fried rice with mock salty fish), goy see mee (noodles over gravy), tom yum pla hee ma (tom yum soup with mock snow fish). Restau is very clean but with simple decor. Prices are very cheap considering the quality.

Supakorn
Supakorn

We Will Be Back!

Posted on 07 / 03 / 2012

I liked eating here so much that I joined Happy Cow in order to write this review! I found out about this place just a few days ago while browsing Happy Cow, and we ran right over to eat here. It was really great. We had a variety of dishes, including Tom Yam Het Naaam Khon, Khao Pad Naam Liap, Khanom Jin, Gai Ning Manao, Het Hom and a few others. Each dish was well prepared with fresh ingredients and had sharp and distinctive flavors. You'll be better off if you can communicate in Thai, but there is an english menu and they do speak some food english. Most importantly, they're friendly and eager to help. I hope they'll do well because they're definitely the best veggie place in this area (sorry, Gwan Imm Jae). This is definitely the place to get veggie thai in Upper Sukhumvit. Bear in mind that this is not a fancy place; it's a simple place where you can get great food.
Soi 36 is just west of the Thonglor BTS station (not underneath the station), and you go about 300 meters down the soi, and Tein yarn is on your right)

Pros: Great location for Upper Sukhumvit, Great Veggie Thai Food, Friendly and Healpful
stantheman
stantheman

clean and delicious

Posted on 06 / 08 / 2012

Thai style veggie food is clean and delicious with Thai flavors . . . small family owned. Exit Thong Lo station and walk about two blocks to MSI Building.
They have mock meats in their freezer to take back home with you, if your in the mood for a veggie dog.

Veggisaurus
Veggisaurus

Excellent, authentic Thai vegetarian food

Posted on 10 / 19 / 2011

I have been twice to this restaurant and on both occasions the food was very good. The reasonably-priced menu (in English and Thai)covers a wide range of Thai favorites, including mock-meat versions, as well as tofu-based and purely vegetable dishes. The owners are very friendly and speak English well. The surroundings are typical of a local Thai eatery (including air-con)and make the place an ideal venue if you are a vegetarian seeking a genuine Thai experience without the hassle (or any risk of fish sauce etc). Recommended.

Pros: Good food, Authentic Thai food, Pleasant, clean surroundings
Mdk
Mdk
  • non-vegetarian

Very good and cheap new place!

Posted on 08 / 28 / 2011

I live around Sukhumvit soi 24 and just feel like sharing how happy I am this place opened up in my area. This has become my favorite lunch spot over the last couple of weeks.
Dishes range from 40-70 baht, servings are quite large, service is friendly and the staff take pride in the food they serve.

Pros: Good value

Dear Owner and Manager of Tien Yarn Vegetarian Food: