Serves meat, veg options available. A Tibetan food restaurant with menu that includes many lacto-vegetarian dishes (labeled). Dairy is used, so vegans need to specify. Colorful, Tibetan flags and buddhistic symbols decor. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine, Tibetan, Non-veg
Wahringer Gurtel 102 (9th district)
Vienna, Austria 1090
01-3151012/16

Tue-Fri 11:30am-3:00pm, 5:30pm-11:30pm, Sat-Sun 12:30pm-3:00pm, 5:00pm-11:00pm

First Review by DontEatYourFriends!
DontEatYourFriends!
DontEatYourFriends!

Non-remarkable, overpriced food, vegan confusion

Posted on 01 / 21 / 2015

„Restaurant Tibet“ has some colourful folklore decor inside and it makes you expect an enriching cultural experience with exceptional food you won't get anywhere else. So in we go.
The lady who waited our table gave us the impression of being an expert in all matters vegan. Our first order was a pot of tea. It turned out to be an ugly, cheap glass jar with a pink plastic handle. We had a sip and discovered the tea to be sweetened with honey. We had a chat with the Tibetan lady. She appeared to be highly surprised and claimed she had been serving many vegan guests and none of them had ever complained about the honey. However, she would refill the ugly jar for us with honey-free tea.
Clearly, the lady's expertise in veganism was to be doubted. But we were hungry. We ordered Tibetan vegetable soup, dumplings and lentil curry. The soup must have been the embodiment of Austro-Tibetan simplicity i.e. someone had thrown a pinch of salt and a handful of frozen vegetables into hot water. The dumplings were tiny and boring and did not seem freshly made but rather evacuated from the Tibetan freezer. The strange texture and taste of the grease used in the curry made me wondering if the cook was working with rotten butter or chicken fat. But then, maybe my senses had already been distorted by the monotonous low-frequency chanting of presumably Tibetan monks which was constantly aired throughout the restaurant. I felt like being in the middle of „Eyes Wide Shut“. It added to my growing nightmarish anxiety when I picked up a book lying next to me filled with LSD coloured artwork displaying a plethora of Tibetan monsters.
I asked the restaurant lady for another chat, excused myself for having an additional complaint and inquired about the certainty of the curry being vegan. The lady disappeared to the kitchen and returned assuring me the cook was using sunflower oil only. „You don't need to be afraid“ she said, with an amiable blend of care and contempt. To me, the sunflower oil still tasted suspicious but I fearlessly finished my curry.
When we got the receipt it turned out the restaurant was asking € 10,- for the pot of tea. One dish was 1 € more than on the menu. The Tibetan lady explained this away by telling us something about a recent menu change. We felt greatly relieved when we left the Tibetan premises and inhaled some fresh air. The next day my stomach was in a really bad condition and remained so for a full week. I will not return to this restaurant.
Updated

Pros: vegan menu, nice pillows and stuff, selection of books about Tibet
Cons: not reliably vegan, overpriced, annoying music

Dear Owner and Manager of Tibet-Restaurant: