TianZi Tea House and Garden

Tea house with a macrobiotic kitchen and an organic health food store. Free wireless internet. Mostly vegan except for honey used. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Macrobiotic, Western, Thai, Organic
119/1 Kampangdin RD,T. Changklan. A.Muang (opposite Maeping hotel beer garden)
Chiang Mai, Thailand
053-449539

Open Mon-Sat 10am-10pm, closed Sun.

First Review by rosella
NNS
NNS

First Class Food

5 Posted on 09 / 27 / 2013

This place is the classic combination of good food with an authentic East Asian atmosphere. You can sit on cushions round a low table or on chairs round a proper table. There are plenty of dishes to choose from and we ate here twice in August 2013 with our four kids and all the food we ordered was first class! This place is really really good and the prices are very reasonable.
I would highly recommend.
Don't let the fact that it is not full put you off!

Pros: authentic , good food, good service
Cons: none!
Chnanis
Chnanis
  • raw

Peaceful place in town, Exclusive Homemade

5 Posted on 06 / 18 / 2013

Tianzi is a place where you can sit or even lie down to chill out while waiting for your exclusive meal being prepared. Spend your slow day to sip some aromatic tea in peaceful environment, chat with friends or your love ones.

This place is healthy and exclusive restaurant. The price is reasonable for what you get. I will absolutely visit this place again when I visit Chiangmai.

An Asian paradise for Vegan!

Pros: Homemade, Good taste, Premium materials
Cons: Limited seats, Quite long time waiting for food
DinaLun
DinaLun

best healthy food in chiang mai

5 Posted on 04 / 22 / 2013

TianZi our fav place in CM with relaxing quiet atmosphere and great macrobiotic menu. Good for vegans, vegetarians and raw foodies. If you like coffee you can try healthy alternative - herbal coffee with non-diary milk.

Pros: quite relaxing atmospere, healthy food , good choice of dishes
Cons: a little bit expencive

MilesChap
MilesChap

Restaurant TianZi biodiversity R&D Ctr

5 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2013

I have eaten in this restaurant at least 15 times in the last 2 years and I nor my Thai & farang guests have never been disappointed. There is an eating area in the front where one can stretch out while eating and there are tables inside which I find preferable for comfort.

One dish I always have is brown rice salad which comes in 3 sizes and the small size is sufficient for 2 or 3 for the center of the table. They have many floral teas which I haven't yet tried, but will! Also they have box red & white wines & beers & an espresso machine. Believe I've had about 10 or 12 different dishes and all have been very well prepared, very flavorful, plus the presentation was excellent. The service also is excellent, although a bit slow, and they will explain the dishes in Thai, English, or Mandarin.

It's a bit difficult to find primarily because the map is far from accurate -- It's at 119/1 Kampangdin Rd, only about 100 meters to the north of Sridonchai Rd, not north of Loi Kroh Rd as the map depicts and it is opposite the Maeping Hotel beer garden. It has a rather small white sign and this restaurant plus the other one (Excellent Thai food with bar) adjoining to it's left are buried in the greenery so it's difficult to see. If you reach several massage shops to the north you have gone too far, or approaching from the south it's prior to the majority of them. Parking is available across the street, but be aware of the parking signs as they will get you which will cost a visit to the police station and 200+ baht. Otherwise from anywhere in CM it's 20bt+ per person for a rodang (red truck) ride. And it's situated only a block from Pantip Plaza & the Night Bazaar where you can walk & shop after eating.

Pros: Outstanding flavors, Great service & explanation, Clean
Cons: Service a bit slow-prep takes awhile. , Difficult to find
  • MilesChap MilesChap

The map has been corrected and the location is right on the button.

Agenda
Agenda

Nice settings and people

3 Posted on 05 / 20 / 2012

We went there long time ago but never came back. We liked settings and people who work there. It's very peaceful. The prices are not usual but food is as well. Food was tasty but contained a lot of vinegar and garlic. Next days we both felt poisoned and had bad stomach ache.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Food is unusual
Cons: Prices are high, We felt bad after eating there
claireabella
claireabella

I wanted to love this place

3 Posted on 05 / 15 / 2012

Everyday I'd say to my partner "Let's go try out the macrobiotic place today" and for some reason we never got down there. Finally late one afternoon I made it. (It's easy to find and the map is accurate)
The restaurant setting is great. Thai style seating, chilled, lots of plants and water features. Unfortunately, the water is a breeding ground for the mozzies and there are plenty of them. spray is available inside, so I'd recommend using it. The staff are lovely.
I ordered Suji tofu and brown rice. The serve was enormous and I took the rest back to the hotel. In addition to tofu, there was a soy protein, vegetables. The sauce was ok but not punching with flavor. There was thinly sliced coriander all through it and I smelt it before the dish was put down on the table. Rather than a garnish, it was used more like another vegetable to stir fry. Even though I've been traveling through Asia for almost a year and have eaten it quite a few times, I still really dislike the flavour. It wasn't mentioned in the menu description of the dish. Took ages to pick it all out. (160B = approx $5)
On my second visit, I ordered steamed tofu with 'cream' as it didn't come with vegetables, I also ordered some mixed steamed vegies. Again the portion was huge. The cream was very rich and flavoursome. If I didn't have the veggies to cut through the richness, I would have struggled to finish this dish. The veggies came with a side of miso based brown sauce, that I actually preferred over the cream. Together it was a large meal.
I almost didn't return for a second time, but as I said, I really wanted to love it. It's got a large menu of mostly healthy dishes but I think there are better vegan options available in Chiang Mai.

Pros: Large portions, Mostly healthy menu, Friendly staff
Cons: The Mosquitos , Flavour
Davemeredith
Davemeredith

Great for me but my Thai partner did not like it

3 Posted on 10 / 30 / 2011

Hard to write a review cos we don't agree about this place! So it depends who you are. I'm a westerner and I love the atmosphere and the food. My Thai partner felt it was so quiet it was like a ghost restaurant, that the food was bland and there were far too many dishes based on beans - which Thais generally don't eat unless in a sweet dish. Personally, I think westerners and middle easterner folk will love it. Maybe not the place Thai or Indian veggies.

Pros: Beautiful place, Big portions, Great for westerners
Cons: Maybe Thais wontenjoy thefoodor atmosphere
Arlovegan
Arlovegan

Most beautiful restaurant in Chiang Mai

5 Posted on 03 / 28 / 2011

One of Chaing Mai's best kept secrets. Sit in the relaxed covered deck area and your surrounded by the soft soothing sound of running water and lush jungle plants. Try anything on their menu and your taste buds will thank you. I thought the brown rice salad was my favorite until I tried the wasabi broccoli, now I can't decide what to have when I come here. Throw in another favorite the Mediterranean Pasta al pesto and I'm completely stumped on what to choose. Amazing fresh macrobiotic food. The owners have gone out of there way to source organic and hard to find ingredients. To top it all off they offer a wonderful selection of Teas. Also, to drink they serve fresh walnut milk, fruit juice, herbal coffee, espresso and now offer beer and wine. The family who owns and runs the place are english speaking and very friendly. This is a destination but not far from the night bazaar. I can not say to many great things about this place. A must visit when in Chiang Mai. See ya there.

Pros: Excellent food, healthy, Friendly staff, Great value
rosella
rosella

My favourite vegetarian restaurant in CM!!

5 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2008

TianZi tea house is the best gem in Chiang Mai! I've tried but I cannot find another restaurant here that I enjoy eating at half as much. The food is unforgettable- the brown rice salad, with soy dressing is perfect, the pumpkin tahini soup is the most creamy thick soup I've ever had. I found this place a year ago.. and dreamt of the soup ever since! Happily my boyfriend and I have decided to move to Chiang Mai, so I can stop dreaming and start eating!!
It's never busy when we go, possibly because it's well hidden by the huge old wooden door, bamboo and plants. The atmosphere is perfect for an evening meal, not too formal, we sit outside on the cushions on the wooden platform, but there are seats and big tables inside also. They're fully conscious about what they do, not just jumping on the healthy food bandwagon, they have projects to support ethnic communities and organic farming, protect biodiversity etc. They have special selected teas from South China, although I have to admit I don't come for these, but it's fun if there's a few of you to have an after supper tea ritual.
I wanted to write this review because I use HappyCow a lot in my travels, it's a brilliant resource.. and it seems to me that not enough people know about this wonderful gem. Last time we went, they let my boyfriend borrow a beautiful book about China to make a copy- amazing hospitality! Give it a try, it's well worth it, you'll keep going back again and again for sure:)

Pros: Huge portions-great for sharing!, Supporting worthwhile projects, Perfect atmosphere
Cons: Hard to find!!

Dear Owner and Manager of TianZi Tea House and Garden: