Small health food store offering varied product line with organic produce, vitamins, and more. more-less
3040 Whitney Ave

sarap

Thyme and Season

Posted on 10 / 18 / 2009

I generally like Thyme and Season
Their prices are cheaper than "Edge of the Hood" on a lot of the products.
Yes, they are small and no, they do not have the largest selection.
No, the staff is not always friendly or knowledgeable, but they are just college kids.
I like their vegan products, once again, no, its not the largest, but its nice to keep your money local (ie NOT Stop and Shop).
If you live close by its convenient enough.
They always have free samples and the aisles are wide enough for more than one person to walk through which is really nice.
No they do not have a large hot buffet or a Juice Bar, but its nice to know that they are not wasting food either.
They don't have a huge case of dried up baked goods like Edge has to offer, but they have plenty of prepacked moist and tasty cookies, breads, or brownie type things.
I would recommend thyme and season if you live in the area, know what you want to purchase, enjoy not getting bumped by strangers, want cheaper prices than edge of the woods, and don't want to go down to the scariest section of Whalley ave ever.
With all that said check it out for yourself!

Pros: Local, not crowded, generally cheaper
bertz413
bertz413

Just ok

Posted on 07 / 05 / 2008

There small selection of hot foods is usually pretty good. But this place is very expensive. I have often felt as if I was bothering the staff there when I asked questions about products, such as homeopathic items, for example. There is one particular female cashier who is just down right rude. I used to go in that shop almost every day, and unfortunately the one time I went in with my fiance we faced racial discrimination. She kept looking at him funny, and whenever we went down the isles, she would follow us, watching everything we might have picked up to look at. I mean, she was literally staring us down. When we approached the cash register, she asked us if we took anything!!!! My fiance is Columbian, maybe the fact the he is spanish lead her to believe he was a criminal, but also, my fiance is a POLICE OFFICER!!! I haven't been back there since. It is expensive, and I have often found products on the shelves that were expired. I think their heads are too big, and need to be brought back down to reality.
I will note that normally I am not one to write a bad review, and try to focus on the positives about places I have been to. However, I cannot do that in this situation and truly feel that potential customers should really be aware of what they are getting into.

Cons: too expensive, rude staff, needs to clean their store
merylnro
merylnro

OVERPRICED

Posted on 08 / 09 / 2007

I think this place is way overpriced but then again, they have no competion outside of Edge of The Woods in New Haven. You have to watch the cashier when she rings up items that are marked down and not in the computer yet, you will get charged regular price. That to me is not good business practice and I pointed it out numerous times to the cashier and manager. The manager of the produce section hovers around the small selection of produce like she was guarding King Tuts Tomb. And what a sour face!! This woman has never cracked a smile. The hot foods and soups are not bad. I am not one for salty foods and unfortunately someone in their kitchen has a heavy hand with the salt espeically in the soups. Overall I prefer Edge of The Woods, for selected items but Trader Joe's wins my heart.

Pros: nice staff, clean
Cons: PRICEY

Dear Owner and Manager of Thyme and Season: