Three Virtues Vegetarian Re...

Traditional family restaurant, has elevator access. Seats over 200, from single diners to banquets. Take away booth on the ground floor. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Chinese, Cantonese, Take-out
4/F, JD Mall, 233-239 Nathan Rd, Jordan (Jordan MTR Exit C1)
Kowloon, Hong Kong

medus
medus

Cheap takeout

Posted on 11 / 16 / 2014

I only visited restaurant's booth on the ground floor, so I can't say anything about the restaurant itself. But the takeout option was really nice and cheap for HK standards - 34 hkd for a box full of all kinds of fake meat. It was enough for two people to get full. What is missing are vegetable options, so I can imagine getting tired of their takeout after a while.
The staff didn't speak any English, but the person who bought before us ensured us that everything is vegan.

Pros: cheap, variety of fake meats, good location
Cons: no vegetable dishes, no English
Stevie
Stevie

Three Virtues Vegetarian - Jordan, Hong Kong

Posted on 11 / 02 / 2014

I lunched here today. It was just after 1.30 pm when I spun up. The place seemed pack but the staff found me a table although I'd be happy to table share as well. I felt though that I'd stumbled into some kind of social club with the vibe that was happening. Lots of (but by no means exclusively) elderly people all sat down enjoying lunch together. There was though some people with a baby at the next table so this place seems to cater for all ends of the family.

I produced my piece of paper that explains what I prefer to eat and not to eat as a vegan. That seemed to do the trick going by what the waiting person said (her English is miles better than my very basic Cantonese), the message seemed to be understod.

The a la carte menu was on the table. The very nice waitress also brought over a dim sum menu. I plumped for a starter of (wait for it), "Dumplings stuffed with Ling Zhi mushrooms and cordyceps militaris in superior soup". This basically a long dumpling with what seemed a bunch of different mushrooms inside. It was very nice.

For a main I went for monkey head mushroom strawberry in sweet and sour sauce. I had no issues with that, it tasted pretty much what you'd expect such a dish like that to taste like in a Chinese vego restaurant in Hong Kong.

All ends up with 8 bucks for the drink (tea or hot water) and 10% it came to 121 bucks. I've no complaints with the place. The food was OK, staff were helpful and nice, the vibe was OK. I would say though is that is just like pretty much any other what seems to be mid range all vego eatery in HK. I'd be more than happy to eat here again but I wouldn't recommend to anyone to travel any sort of distance to this place if there is an equivalent nearer to where you.

Pros: Vegan friendly
Cons: Just like lots of other places in HK
sept152007
sept152007

Not Happy :-(

Posted on 03 / 04 / 2014

It was all mock meat! I felt so bloated and heavy afterwards.
Good luck when ordering, they have the most difficult time understanding english

• Stevie Stevie

Hi there,

If I may try to chip in with a constructively intended suggestion. Rather than expecting people in HK to speak English, maybe try to learn a few words of Cantonese? Learning a few words of the local lingo is pretty much always well received.

I agree that the menu in this place has a lot of mock meat for people who aren't keen on that. The menu isn't exclusively mock meat by any means though.

Best wishes with your eating.

Moregreen
Moregreen

I should have trusted other bad reviews

Posted on 01 / 19 / 2013

I brought some non vegetarian friends with me to try this place that i was really hoping would be good despite reading other reviews to the contrary like below. Well, the service was indifferent and unsympathetic in cantonese and english, and the food was miserable. We tried 5 or 6 dishes, some of which came to the table cold, some of which were soggy. One of the dumpling dishes was okay, the rest was sub par for paying 80 hkd each. I wanted to like the place, it is a good location and there are not many veg dim sum places but unfortunately I can't recommend it, especially not when Hong Kong is full of better cheaper options. Keep looking elsewhere.

Pros: Location
Cons: Bad food, Bad service, Overpriced
eatinggreen
eatinggreen

Inedible

Posted on 07 / 09 / 2012

This was the first place we came to on our first ever trip to HK. As carnivores we had always loved yum cha so we were really excited to try the vegetarian version in the most authentic form. We knew this was not a natural food destination and that it would probably contain MSG but were willing to cast a blind eye for just one meal for the value of the experience.

Until the food came, that is.

What can I say... just not enjoyable. A little MSG we were willing to accept, but this was so heavy I actually found a granule of the stuff in my food. Because of the strong reliance on MSG all the food pretty much tastes the same. And there are hardly any vegetables, just the same mock stuff they cook up in god knows which factory.

Probably the worst vegetarian yum cha we've ever tried. Kind of scared us off the idea of trying it again so we opted for a la carte in decent non-vege restaurants for the remainder of our trip and had much more success.

Pros: real yum cha vibe
Cons: MSG hell, mock meat centric, not enough veges
WarmWhite
WarmWhite

True Cantonese Cuisine in Authentic Setting

Posted on 12 / 29 / 2011

Three Virtues offers an honest version of the true Cantonese (Hong Kong) Cuisine in a truly Chinese traditional setting. The selection is excellent, the presentation lovely, and the taste - heavenly. Dining among the boisterous groups of families is an experience worth having on its own. Dim Sum, a typical Cantonese breakfast/lunch dish, are served at lunch. Prices are reasonable and dishes are meant for sharing. A satisfying meal for a couple would cost HKD 125.

While this cuisine has become so popular as to represent for many what what "Chinese food" means, it is sometimes inaccessible to vegetarians and vegans due to its heavy reliance on animal-based products. In the grand tradition of Buddhist dining, Three Virtues does away with most animal foodstuff and renders faithful Cantonese dishes using mock meats, fish and shellfish products. Nothing on the menu contains any of these products, and the occasional dishes that include eggs are clearly marked.

Menu in Roman letters with sometimes amusing English translation is available. The stuff speak little but Cantonese, but the friendliness of the servers (and fellow diners) helps overcoming any language barriers.

The restaurant is located on the second floor of a nondescript building, a short walking distance from North Point station. The entrance is recognizable by the food stall located on the street level. Three Virtues is one flight of stairs up.

Pros: Selection, Presentation, Friendliness
Cons: Only for those who seek authenticity
gpcarlo
gpcarlo
  • non-vegetarian

Good veggie option

Posted on 10 / 09 / 2010

The nice thing about HK is the number of veggie options. This is very similar to the Lite Vegetarian with a couple of differences. Restaurant is massive and means atmosphere is lost a little but the staff were incredibly helpful. Food pretty much the same as light option round corner. So would choose one although we enjoyed both. Portion size is large and we seriously overordered by mistake. Worth asking waiter as reccs were good.

Pros: Staff, Portion size
Cons: Size of restaurant
rahulgarg
rahulgarg

I was in Heaven

Posted on 08 / 02 / 2010

After spending several days in Hong Kong subsisting on veggie sandwiches and fruits, and feeling like one myself, I took the MTR to the Three Virtues Restaurant, ordered a Vegetarian Dumplings in Soup, sipped a little when it arrived, and immediately realized what life was really about.

Easy to reach: Get to Jordon, take exit C, turn left, cross a taxi stand, until you see a pair of elevators on the left (they are before the next street, just after a bakery and what looked like a grocery in the basement).

Inexpensive: Green Tea HK$ 6, Veg Dumplings HK$ 18.

Nice ambience, friendly service.

Pros: Tasty, tasty, tasty, Convenient location, Inexpensive
Cons: None that I could find
JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible
  • herbivore

Excellent Dim-Sum Selection

Posted on 04 / 28 / 2010

A really nice restaurant.

Excellent dim-sum selection.

Family run - they have another location in North Point, Hong Kong Island.

Jump in the elevator which opens right onto Nathan Rd. & ride up.

orchid53
orchid53

Good eats

Posted on 07 / 28 / 2009

Took a friend here who was scared of not being full from veg food and he loved it. We got crispy taro, noodles, dumplings I believe...all was delicious.

This restaurant also gets very busy and can be quite noisy, though that does not bother me.

sewerbeing
sewerbeing

Delicious

Posted on 03 / 26 / 2009

Went there on my first night in Hong Kong. Had noodles and peppers stuffed with waterchestnuts. It was delicious, the fake meat was exceptional. I will certainly go again.

Pros: Delicious, Cheap, Nice staff
comida
comida

Full of locals and full of excellent food

Posted on 09 / 14 / 2007

We had dinner here twice last week, and the first time we ordered way too much for four people. There menu is in Chinese and English, with dishes which contain eggs clearly marked. They have a take-away counter on the ground floor, with the main restaurant being upstairs. Heavy on the mock meats, but we managed to order stuff without it. Special mention goes to the rice steamed in lotus leaf.

Pros: Easy to find., Large menu., Very good food.
Cons: Quite noisy when it's full.

Dear Owner and Manager of Three Virtues Vegetarian Restaurant: