Three Virtues Vegetarian Re...

Traditional family restaurant, has elevator access. Seats over 200, from single diners to banquets. Take away booth on the ground floor. Jordan MTR Exit C1. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Chinese, Take-out, Cantonese

nafanc
nafanc

Tasty takeout

Posted on 01 / 03 / 2016

My mom brought me some takeout from this place, so I can't comment extensively on the restaurant itself.

I had an assortment of mock meats, all of which were pretty good or very good. There are many places in HK that serve these types of dishes, and this particular one wasn't especially memorable. As such, I'd say it's not worth going out of your way to dine here (based on my limited sampling). Still, I would recommend popping in if you are in the area.

Pros: Variety, Good value
VeganMush
VeganMush

great local experience

Posted on 11 / 23 / 2015

We've eaten here several times over the years when we pass through Hong Kong, it's always busy and full of locals. We've mainly eaten the dim sum (ask for the English menu when you are waiting to be seated) which is always a good 'lucky dip' kind of option as we're never sure what we'll get.

Number 21, the bean curd roll stuffed with vegetarian crab meat in Portuguese sauce turned out to be a winner (it's a mild curry sauce

Pros: full of locals, tasty dim sum, quick service
Cons: desserts are too super sweet for us

Three Virtues Vegetarian - Jordan, Hong Kong

Posted on 06 / 10 / 2015

I returned here on Weds evening this week as part of a group of 25 (the Meat Free Hong Kong meetup group). It seemed to go very well indeed with positive feedback. My thanks to the restaurant for their help in making the event so relaxed and enjoyable.

Some observations about this restaurant:-

1) The Comment below about this restaurant being, "all mock meat". I suspect there's some exaggeration crept in from the reviewer in their moment at the keyboard. Saying this place though "is all mock meat", I respectfully feel obliged to say is mis-representative. The menu for this place is kind of normal for one of the mid range family restaurants in HK. The menu is long and extensive and there's plenty mock meat in there if that is what you want. If you don't want mock meat though, order some of the non mock meat dishes. To illustrate the point I have upload some pics that were taken of the dishes ordered on Wednesday.

2) This place is big (200 seats?). It was very busy & clearly is very popular.

3) Someone in the group left an iphone behind in error. Staff and management were fab in looking after the phone til contacted and helping the owner get it back the next day.

I'm not saying its worth traveling distance for as there's a lot of places like this dotted all over HK. If I was around this area though I'd be happy to eat here again. Thanks again to restaurant for hosting us for a great meetup on Wednesday.

Updated from previous review on Sunday November 02, 2014

I lunched here today. I produced my piece of paper that explains what I prefer to eat and not to eat as a vegan. That seemed to do the trick going by what the waiting person said (her English is miles better than my very basic Cantonese), the message seemed to be understood.

I plumped for a starter of (wait for it), "Dumplings stuffed with Ling Zhi mushrooms and cordyceps militaris in superior soup". For main I had monkey head mushroom & strawberry in sweet and sour sauce. Both were fine.

I've no complaints with the place. The food was OK, staff were helpful and nice, the vibe was OK. I'd be more than happy to eat here again.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday June 10, 2015

Pros: Vegan friendly, Big choice menu

Aya
Aya

Yummy!

Posted on 04 / 01 / 2015

The restaurant did seem to be a bit expensive, so I aimed for a take away box from the first floor booth instead. It was heavy on mock meats and quite oily, but it had some really interesting options, so it was nice to try and really tasty (I was really hungry). I actually liked it so much that the following evening I came to get another take away.

Pros: Tasty and cheap, Good location, easy to find, Very popular among locals
Cons: Heavy on mock meat, Might be too oily for some people, The lady did not speak any English
medus
medus

Cheap takeout

Posted on 11 / 16 / 2014

I only visited restaurant's booth on the ground floor, so I can't say anything about the restaurant itself. But the takeout option was really nice and cheap for HK standards - 34 hkd for a box full of all kinds of fake meat. It was enough for two people to get full. What is missing are vegetable options, so I can imagine getting tired of their takeout after a while.
The staff didn't speak any English, but the person who bought before us ensured us that everything is vegan.

Pros: cheap, variety of fake meats, good location
Cons: no vegetable dishes, no English
sept152007
sept152007

Not Happy :-(

Posted on 03 / 04 / 2014

It was all mock meat! I felt so bloated and heavy afterwards.

Hi there,

1stly thanks for contributing to happycow. I wonder if I politely and constructively may be able to tempt you in to reconsidering your review a little?

1) "It was all mock meat!"

Is there maybe some exaggeration crept in there? "All" mock meat? I've added some pics of some dishes from my latest visit. The group of 25 diners I was in wouldn't put up with "all mock meat". I'd also be curious to know more about why that made you feel "bloated and heavy" since mock meats tend to be made from gluten and / or soya is what I've been led to believe. Of course though, I'm humbled to learn new things everyday.

2) "Good luck when ordering, they have the most difficult time understanding english"

Is it not a little unfair expecting the world to speak English? Impressive as the HK education system is, maybe there's people in HK who weren't given the opportunity to develop English language skills? You could also try to learn even a few words of local language? Anywhere in the world, its terrific how well even a few words is always so well received. Alternatively of course, if it's vital everyone speaks English to you when you holiday, you'll have a much better chance if you stick to USA, Aus, NZ etc.

If you do decide to visit HK again, feel free to come and dine with us in the Meat Free Hong Kong meetup group. It'd be nice to meet you.

My apologies for intruding if none of this interests you.

Best regards,

Moregreen
Moregreen

I should have trusted other bad reviews

Posted on 01 / 19 / 2013

I brought some non vegetarian friends with me to try this place that i was really hoping would be good despite reading other reviews to the contrary like below. Well, the service was indifferent and unsympathetic in cantonese and english, and the food was miserable. We tried 5 or 6 dishes, some of which came to the table cold, some of which were soggy. One of the dumpling dishes was okay, the rest was sub par for paying 80 hkd each. I wanted to like the place, it is a good location and there are not many veg dim sum places but unfortunately I can't recommend it, especially not when Hong Kong is full of better cheaper options. Keep looking elsewhere.

Pros: Location
Cons: Bad food, Bad service, Overpriced

Hi Moregreen,

Your comment....

"Hong Kong is full of better cheaper options"

Is it possible you could advise where you are recommending as better cheaper options please? I'd be delighted to check them out.

Regards,
    Steve

eatinggreen
eatinggreen

Inedible

Posted on 07 / 09 / 2012

This was the first place we came to on our first ever trip to HK. As carnivores we had always loved yum cha so we were really excited to try the vegetarian version in the most authentic form. We knew this was not a natural food destination and that it would probably contain MSG but were willing to cast a blind eye for just one meal for the value of the experience.

Until the food came, that is.

What can I say... just not enjoyable. A little MSG we were willing to accept, but this was so heavy I actually found a granule of the stuff in my food. Because of the strong reliance on MSG all the food pretty much tastes the same. And there are hardly any vegetables, just the same mock stuff they cook up in god knows which factory.

Probably the worst vegetarian yum cha we've ever tried. Kind of scared us off the idea of trying it again so we opted for a la carte in decent non-vege restaurants for the remainder of our trip and had much more success.

Pros: real yum cha vibe
Cons: MSG hell, mock meat centric, not enough veges

Hi Eatinggreen,

If I may politely and calmly suggest...

If you have such an aversion to a particular ingredient in your food, how about specifying that to the waiting staff? A hotel receptionist would be able to write it down for you perhaps? Or how about one of the online translation tools? You then help waiting staff to help you?

Also your remark...

"scared us off the idea of trying it again so we opted for a la carte in decent non-vege restaurants"

What a shame. There's a lot of all vego eateries in HK. If your enthusiasm to eat in all vego places is so fragile, that of course is entirely up to you just like anyone else to decide on what your priorities are.

Best wishes for the future,

WarmWhite
WarmWhite

True Cantonese Cuisine in Authentic Setting

Posted on 12 / 29 / 2011

Three Virtues offers an honest version of the true Cantonese (Hong Kong) Cuisine in a truly Chinese traditional setting. The selection is excellent, the presentation lovely, and the taste - heavenly. Dining among the boisterous groups of families is an experience worth having on its own. Dim Sum, a typical Cantonese breakfast/lunch dish, are served at lunch. Prices are reasonable and dishes are meant for sharing. A satisfying meal for a couple would cost HKD 125.

While this cuisine has become so popular as to represent for many what what "Chinese food" means, it is sometimes inaccessible to vegetarians and vegans due to its heavy reliance on animal-based products. In the grand tradition of Buddhist dining, Three Virtues does away with most animal foodstuff and renders faithful Cantonese dishes using mock meats, fish and shellfish products. Nothing on the menu contains any of these products, and the occasional dishes that include eggs are clearly marked.

Menu in Roman letters with sometimes amusing English translation is available. The stuff speak little but Cantonese, but the friendliness of the servers (and fellow diners) helps overcoming any language barriers.

The restaurant is located on the second floor of a nondescript building, a short walking distance from North Point station. The entrance is recognizable by the food stall located on the street level. Three Virtues is one flight of stairs up.

Pros: Selection, Presentation, Friendliness
Cons: Only for those who seek authenticity
gpcarlo
gpcarlo
  • non-vegetarian

Good veggie option

Posted on 10 / 09 / 2010

The nice thing about HK is the number of veggie options. This is very similar to the Lite Vegetarian with a couple of differences. Restaurant is massive and means atmosphere is lost a little but the staff were incredibly helpful. Food pretty much the same as light option round corner. So would choose one although we enjoyed both. Portion size is large and we seriously overordered by mistake. Worth asking waiter as reccs were good.

Pros: Staff, Portion size
Cons: Size of restaurant
rahulgarg
rahulgarg

I was in Heaven

Posted on 08 / 02 / 2010

After spending several days in Hong Kong subsisting on veggie sandwiches and fruits, and feeling like one myself, I took the MTR to the Three Virtues Restaurant, ordered a Vegetarian Dumplings in Soup, sipped a little when it arrived, and immediately realized what life was really about.

Easy to reach: Get to Jordon, take exit C, turn left, cross a taxi stand, until you see a pair of elevators on the left (they are before the next street, just after a bakery and what looked like a grocery in the basement).

Inexpensive: Green Tea HK$ 6, Veg Dumplings HK$ 18.

Nice ambience, friendly service.

Pros: Tasty, tasty, tasty, Convenient location, Inexpensive
Cons: None that I could find
JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible
  • herbivore

Excellent Dim-Sum Selection

Posted on 04 / 28 / 2010

A really nice restaurant.

Excellent dim-sum selection.

Family run - they have another location in North Point, Hong Kong Island.

Jump in the elevator which opens right onto Nathan Rd. & ride up.

orchid53
orchid53

Good eats

Posted on 07 / 28 / 2009

Took a friend here who was scared of not being full from veg food and he loved it. We got crispy taro, noodles, dumplings I believe...all was delicious.

This restaurant also gets very busy and can be quite noisy, though that does not bother me.

sewerbeing
sewerbeing

Delicious

Posted on 03 / 26 / 2009

Went there on my first night in Hong Kong. Had noodles and peppers stuffed with waterchestnuts. It was delicious, the fake meat was exceptional. I will certainly go again.

Pros: Delicious, Cheap, Nice staff
comida
comida

Full of locals and full of excellent food

Posted on 09 / 14 / 2007

We had dinner here twice last week, and the first time we ordered way too much for four people. There menu is in Chinese and English, with dishes which contain eggs clearly marked. They have a take-away counter on the ground floor, with the main restaurant being upstairs. Heavy on the mock meats, but we managed to order stuff without it. Special mention goes to the rice steamed in lotus leaf.

Pros: Easy to find., Large menu., Very good food.
Cons: Quite noisy when it's full.

Dear Owner and Manager of Three Virtues Vegetarian Restaurant - Jordan: