CLOSED: Three Jewels

Opened July 2012, this vegetarian restaurant serves Vietnamese cuisine: pho soup, noodles, different faux meats, bubble tea, and more. Reported all vegan but not confirmed according to happycow member report (Aug 2013). Reported closed to HappyCow, June 2014. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Vietnamese, Take-out

First Review by kimward8

Lots of options

4 Posted on 04 / 22 / 2013

The photos on the menu don't do justice to this place. Not only the food looks better than on the photos, but also the portions are way larger.
We were a group of 4 and decided to share everything we ordered so we would try as many dishes as possible. I don't know if everything is vegan because we had trouble communicating with the server, who was regardless super friendly. We didn't want any veggie ham. None of us can take that. We had the papaya salad, spring rolls, pho, veggie curry, lemongrass tofu, and some crispy noodle dish.
Out of this, my favourite was the lemongrass tofu. The papaya salad was yummy too but came with a vegan fish sauce that was a bit too strong smelling. Still once it was poured on the salad, it was better. It smelled so authentic that the server felt the need to show us the bottle of veggie fish sauce. Because of the service and the choice of food, I would give this a 4. Will need to return to try other options but will be back for the lemongrass tofu for sure!

Pros: friendly staff, tons of options, good value
Cons: not sure if indeed it is all vegan

Great food at a low price

5 Posted on 03 / 12 / 2013

I have been here several times and love it! Everything is very reasonably priced and have great portion sizes. They serve free tea with your meal. I strongly recommend #9 spicy lemongrass tofu on rice, it is very good!

Pros: friendly staff, great food, reasonably prices

Great taste, fresh and excellent value!

5 Posted on 10 / 15 / 2012

We were a group of four who ate here yesterday. We were all very pleasantly surprised by the quality and value for money of the food here.
We ordered two different rice rolls as appetizers- both were large portions that we could all share, served with a nice peanut sauce. Fresh basil was inside the roll too- very flavourful!

For our entrees, I had the Three Jewels vermicelli, which was lots of noodles, two spring rolls, tofu, salad and some fried crisp veggies. Two others had the lemongrass pretend chicken with rice, and another had the tofu veggie with rice dish. All portions were of more than adequate size- no complaints there either.

All of us agreed that this meal was a terrific value: each roll was $5, and each main dish only $7.

We would all recommend Three Jewels, and will return again soon!

Pros: Excellent value for price, Tastes good, Cleanliness
Cons: Slower service

Vegan 'Nammer guy reviews Vietnamese restaurant

4 Posted on 10 / 12 / 2012

+ nice, authentic flavours
+ decent portions
+ friendly staff
+ for an omnivore, the head chef
is fairly knowledgeable about veganism
+ closes at 10pm, which is good

- the serving staff is not as knowledgable as they should be
- obviously taste is subjective,
but some dishes are good, while some are meh

PLEASE, all you vegans out there, suggest to the restaurant that they go 100% vegan, (hehe, 3G).
After some 3rd-party, verification, I would love to one day see this resto listed as a "vegan restaurant".

Vegetarian Vietnamese in Vancouver!

4 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2012

I'm glad there is finally a vegetarian Vietnamese restaurant in Vancouver. I had the lemongrass vegan fish and the vermicelli bowl, and spring rolls. We also had the veggie noodles. They were all good. Next time I'll have to try the Pho. They said the only thing that isn't vegan is the cow milk in the milk bubble tea section, but they have soymilk for that if you want.

• Qassem Qassem

Soy milk, together with a tiny bit of Coconut milk goes well with tea and coffee. Maybe a drop of Sea Water should be added to the milk when it is made..

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Three Jewels: