Third Coast Spice Cafe

Serves meat, veg options available. Vegan items clearly marked on menu, including in-house-made oatmeal, fusion burrito and Moroccan lentil burrito. Gluten-free bread available. Drinks include smoothies, soy lattes, juices. Offers soy mozzarella for make-your-own scrambles and griddle sandwiches. Uses eco-friendly disposables. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, American, Mexican, Juice bar, Non-veg
761 Indian Boundary Rd, Unit 6 (Calumet Rd )
Chesterton, Indiana
219-926-5858

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by happycowgirl
CharTalk
CharTalk

Tasty vegan options in the midst of carnivore country

Posted on 08 / 12 / 2014

On a road trip traveling through northern Indiana I found that vegan restaurants are pretty much nonexistent. Therefore I was delighted to find this small, strip mall restaurant that is open only for breakfast and lunch.

They had a wide variety of novel dishes. I had the best vegan chili I ever tasted (including mine!). I paired it with a grilled hummus & vegetable grilled sandwich with some kind of flavorful sauce on sprouted grain bread made in their bakery.

The place was packed and still our friendly waitress was super efficient getting us on the road again in short order.

Definitely a good find. I would have given it 5-stars if the HappyCow site permitted it.

Pros: Fresh, tasty, well prepared food, Unique options, Efficient staff
Cons: Serves meat
happycowgirl
happycowgirl

Almost Perfect

Posted on 09 / 03 / 2012

My biggest pet peeve with Third Coast is they don't serve veggie sausage. This upset me when I was vegetarian and even more so now that I'm vegan. And it makes no sense. The idea behind this restaurant is to serve something for everyone so everyone can dine together healthfully at the table. Veggie sausage would be ordered by vegetarians, vegans and even some meat eaters. For vegans, this would really add to the options on the menu and make Third Coast a place I could dine frequently, instead of just once in a while.

My rant aside, this is a wonderful cafe. There's a play table up front for kids, outdoor seating in summer, very attentive and helpful wait staff and a great menu. Vegetarians will do very well here. If you are traveling on I-90/94, take the exit for Rt. 49 south and turn left at Indiana Boundary Road (it's the first stop light). You'll see it in the small shopping mall to your left.

Dear Owner and Manager of Third Coast Spice Cafe: