Good food. Try the steam boat soup. Moved Oct 2010 to new location which is located toward the end of a narrow alleyway that is also an outdoor cafe, but unrelated to the restaurant. Thien Y has a neon sign above the entrance. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Vietnamese, Fast food, Take-out

Ceridwen_W
Ceridwen_W

Over priced smelly food

2 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2012

Yes the menu is extensive but do not let this fool you into thinking that the food will be good quality. Someone else commented on the smell of the food, which tainted each dish I ordered. I ate the spring rolls, they were smelly and I ate the stir fried cauliflower and mushrooms, they were also smelly.

The staff, friendly at first, misinterpreted one of my requests for Soy sauce and instead brought me an odd looking dish. This is certainly partly my fault for being a ignoramus who cannot speak any Vietnamese but when I informed the staff that I did not want that dish (it looked horrible) the lady proceeded to shout and stomp her feet.

Overall, it was a bad food experience, which cost me a reasonable amount by local standards. Anyway, don't bother with this place.

Carovegan
Carovegan

okay food

2 Posted on 03 / 09 / 2012

it was okay but the waiter made mistakes in the order and we had to wait 30 minutes to be served even if we were the only one there.... I won't go back but the ood was ok.

westcornersville
westcornersville

Huge Huge Menu

4 Posted on 02 / 25 / 2012

The menu of this place will blow your mind--probably 200 different items--soups, salads, fritters/fried veggies (I had the fried lotus), mock meats, etc. Portions are kind of small, so you might want to order several items per person (and remember to ask for rice if you want it--it's not included). Note that some items in the bilingual English/Vietnamese aren't well translated--I ordered this dumpling with mock beef, but there was no dumpling--just typical mock beef and lettuce. Nevertheless, it was still a good place, especially if you're adventurous and want to try some new foods. Note they had quirky music--the same song had the same chorus repeating for the entire 45 minutes I was there (I'm sure the waitstaff hear this song in their dreams at night!!!). I'm giving this place 4 stars, though it was probably more like 3 1/2.

Pros: huge huge variety, some rare dishes
Cons: small portions, overly repetitive music

VMFGG
VMFGG
  • non-vegetarian

Horrible

2 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2012

Horrible, horrible, horrible. Sorry for my english but am a Spaniard. I have followed your advice and i couldn't regret it more. I've order 4 dishes as the waitress said they were really small, which is not true. I started with 1 spring roll and had no more.    Very smelly, like rotten fish.
Then a tofu and aubergine arrived, it was so smelly i had to ask them to take it away. Then the grilled shrimps, no shrimps at all, just a big plate of fried rice flour little balls with the same horrible smell. I ate 1 and no more.
I just arrive from china where i've learn this horrible smell is coming from the oil used, it is recycled oil, restaurants, normally very cheap ones use it, and they keep using it for ages. That is not fish oil i believe just a very bad for our health. We know used oil has very very high levels of toxins, i wonder how poisoning could be if it is recycled.
I've ask the waitress to smell the food, she couldn't care less.
So i asked for the bill and paid, after a while, while finishing a small bowl of steam rice i decided to order some more; steam vegetales and more rice. Of course i had to pay for these too. The vegetables turned to be a bunch of the most disgusting spinach i ate in my live, and on top they have used again their horrible oil. The rice was overcooked so did not have it all. I have end up paying 165.000 for a bowl of rice and a beer. A bit expensive and and evening wasted.
Please don't be cruel and recommend this place, enough is enough.

Ps, the restaurant was empty, they switched on the lights when i arrived, at 7pm.

Pros: Easy to find, Nice little space, 6 tables, menu in English
Cons: Terrible food, Only Vietnamese spoken
Loli
Loli

good food

4 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2011

Easy to find with the map of happycow, the restaurant has a different atmosphere and a huge variety of food options, with a good price.
We shared several dishes: tofu, rice, aubergine... (the aubergine was delicious) so we tried different tastes.
Healthy food near a lake where you can walk after eating.
I would come back.

Pros: Many veg options, English menu, tasty and healthy
OT
OT

Nice food but strange experience

4 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2011

The most extensive menu of any vegetarian restaurant we have ever visited with some very strange choices including gizzards and jellyfish. Food in the main was tasty with good sized portions. We shared several dishes and requested no chilli however our sweet and sour squid was heavily laced with chilli. Decor was unusual. We ate in an upstairs dining room away from the TV downstairs however they closed the door isolating us from the waiting staff who spoke no English but they did try to meet our every request. Food was inexpensive as was the beer which could have been colder. We would visit again.

Pros: Tasty food, Extensive menu, Value for money
Cons: Strange setting, Menu needs explanation
Petesternz
Petesternz

Really worth a visit

5 Posted on 12 / 07 / 2010

Wasn't sure what to expect with this place. Down a long alley, we emerged into an empty restaurant (all the surrounding restos were full), where the ample staff were watching TV. It was a bit like having dinner in someone's home. Not a huge place, but clean and well lit, with friendly staff (who continued watching TV). The menu was a bit odd, but the food sure wasn't. Everything hit the spot. The vegetable dishes were well cooked, and the mango salad was yummy. The BBQ chicken wings were superb, and the mushroom noodle dish, with four types of mushrooms, was also amazing. Along with Diamond, the best restaurant we've been to in Vietnam. Very fair prices as well.

Pros: Good portions, clean, Inexpensive

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Thien Y: