Vegetarian food restaurant with extensive menu in both English and Vietnamese. Some international menu items. Food is made to order. In 2012 it moved from 174 Calmette, District 1. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Vietnamese, International, Western, Take-out

• Cash only

First Review by fatsilas
Malusi
Malusi

Good eats but not blown away by this place.

Posted on 12 / 10 / 2014

Had a good meal here after stumbling across it wandering around the city. This place was quite busy when I was here with locals eating in and taking away from the food stall at the front of the restaurant. Some of the dishes or ingredients for the restaurant are taken from the food stall, as previous reviewers have said. I ordered salt and pepper tofu with mushrooms, which came with rice and was delicious. The vegetable noodles were nice, but a bit bland and basic. I washed this down with a soya and mung bean iced milk that was delicious. Price was reasonably cheap. Overall I'd recommend this as a good place to eat, but there are some better and cheaper places nearby and some exceptional places in Saigon for a small fraction more money.

Pros: Good menu selection, English translation on menu, Friendly staff
Cons: Better places exist
OmerGilad
OmerGilad

My favorite place

Posted on 08 / 07 / 2014

This place is right near my home, and I've been eating there maybe a 100 times already.
I've tried most of the menu, and the food quality was never less than superior.
The staff are nice and friendly. They don't speak much English, but they are extremely accommodating.

The only downside I could find, is that sometimes there are ants on the table, but not a big deal.

I highly recommend their Bun Bo Hue, which is a high value dish for only 30,000VND (1.5$).

Regarding the other reviews complaining about the outside buffet - having a buffet like that is very common in local Vietnamese restaurants. It sounds like complaining about street food being... street food.
If you don't like it, you can order from the normal menu.

Updated from previous review on Wednesday August 06, 2014

Pros: Delicious food, Cheap prices, Friendly staff
Cons: Sometimes ants on the table
  • littletravelbug littletravelbug

Hi there, would you mind confirming the address of this restaurant as the address above does not correspond to Happy Cow map for directions. I ate at an amazing veggie restaurant, which I'm sure was a Loving Hut on Calmette in the city centre, but can't seem to find anything about it here... any help much appreciated :)

tash
tash

...

Posted on 11 / 26 / 2010

nice enough place, clean and friendly. my partner ordered lemongrass tofu which was tasty and hot (temp). i ordered some rice with veg and mock meat, which was not too tasty and cold. i noticed afterward it came from the stand out the front of the restaurant. ditto flies, and generally feel a bit weird eating food that has been sat out for ages, even if it isn't actual meat.

fire horse
fire horse

Disappointing but OK

Posted on 03 / 12 / 2010

Well, a lot has changed since the last review, possibly new ownership. The staff weren't friendly at all, they were impatient and offish. The sandwich bar has gone and instead a sorry excuse for a buffet which I wouldn't advise anyone to eat off. It was peak lunch hour and the place was maybe 10% full of Vietnamese people who were all ordering off the menu not the buffet.

I ordered stir fried veg with steamed rice which was good (tasty, fresh and crunchy with a nice gravy), and sauted 'beef' satay. I made it quite clear repeatedly that I do not eat garlic or onion (I am allergic) - this is not unusual in a buddhist vegetarian place. They were impatient with me and weren't listening and you've guessed it, the satay 'beef' came out with lots of onion and garlic and not a peanut in sight. When I pointed this out to them they made an issue of it and suddenly the staff who before had claimed to not speak english started speaking english. The whole thing was embarrassing. They then took the plate from my table and put it on the buffet outside after I had been poking around it with utensils that had been in my mouth. The buffet food outside is kept at ambient temperature and had flies buzzing around. The place in general was a bit grubby.

Maybe the place has seen better days or I was unlucky and got a bad day.

Pros: Menu food good, veggies fresh and crunchy, rice fresh
Cons: slow turnover of buffet, Staff attitude could be better
fatsilas
fatsilas

excellent!!!

Posted on 08 / 12 / 2009

wonderful food, all vegetarian, mock meats, noodle dishes, highly recommended, plus the staff is very friendly! oh, go for dinner, lunch is crazy busy and buffet style, so there's not as much selection.

Pros: all vegetarian menu, great tasting, big variety
Cons: lunch is buffet style, lunch is really crowded

Dear Owner and Manager of Thien Duyen Ben Thanh: