The Wild Oat - Bakery and...

Bakery and cafe that serves breakfast and hot lunch food, including pizza, chilli, soup. Relaxed setting, limited seating. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Canadian, Bakery, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by DC
veggiewoman
veggiewoman

Great place for brunch!

3 Posted on 04 / 03 / 2010

The Wild Oat is a casual, busy vegetarian place with meals to order, ready-made items (like muffins) and a mini-grocery section (with kale chips, vegan apple pie, etc). It has a bit of hippie feel, but is still pretty mainstream. I'd definitely go back for brunch or lunch.

Pros: good prices, vegan muffins!
Cons: so busy you might not get a seat
foodforthought
foodforthought

staff food and service

5 Posted on 03 / 21 / 2010

My experience at the Wild Oat has always been fantastic, met with awesome personalities and staff and fantastic food. The vary veggie is my favorite crepe and breakfast has to the the wild plate. I have witnessed some aggressiveness from customers and always felt the staff held themselves well. There is a high turnover rate at 'The Oat' for various reasons, students, travelers, which adds to the character of the place, and running into 'not so friendly staff' can happen, but if you frequent the oat, which I do, you realize this (like with any restaurant). It's easy to become family with Oaters, patrons and staff alike, and see those of all colors come and go and (like some customers) you could take em or leave em.
I would recommend this bakery to any and all, however not for the elite, preppy, capitalists. This place is real and not for those that need to feel 'in'....you can find yourself at the cordon bleu bistro, and find something to complain about there.

Pros: healthy, tasty food, friendly staff, excellent service
Cons: noisy, over crowded
jamesoheare
jamesoheare

Not bad, not great

2 Posted on 12 / 08 / 2009

Buffet food usually cold although some of it is pretty tasty. Found a maggot in my food there once and they did not seem to care so I stopped going. It's a shame too, quite a hip place.The little pizzas are good.

Pros: Tasty
Cons: Cleanliness , Food temperature
Nige
Nige

Lousy service

2 Posted on 10 / 26 / 2009

The food's not great. I have to agree that the crepes are substandard at best and the staff isn't hit and miss, it's all miss. Other reviewers have complained about rudeness. I have to say that this isn't the exception. This place is well known for rude staff.

Pros: cheap
Cons: service
bobcat
bobcat

A Favourite...

3 Posted on 07 / 24 / 2009

Food:
Crepes aren't that great. I find that to be too cheesy for my liking. As well, for a place that has an extensive crepe menu, I would expect it to be amazing, but my grandmother makes better at home. The sanwchiches are always tasty, and it's a nice light lunch. I personally love goign their for breakfast to get their Japanese plate with the Tofu. Make sure if you are Vegan to SPECIFY VERY CLEARLY UPON ORDERING. I will explain why later. I also love the other side, I have a sweet tooth and enjoy their Vegan desserts, but their Chillie is delicious, as are their pizzas. Ive had the raw pizza (yum, but i miss my cheese on this one), but my fav is the Morrocan...OMG to DIE for...
Service
Hmm..sometimes it's Great. The staff is friendly and joking around and loving life.But, I've had a few moments when I feel un-welcome in this cozy hotspot. My friend and I were there for breakfast. I had ordered one of the items for my friend and I to share. SHe is Vegan. I had said i wanted it to be with Tofu, no butter and that our drinks were to be with Soy Milk...I got our order and sat down, and my friend says "is that cheese?" and sure enough there was cheese on our tofu, no butter breakfast. We have been here multiple times, and ordered this many times, however I will admit i had not said VEGAN. SO i went back and apologized, but we would need it to be re-done as my friend was Vegan. WHen it was done, the girl came and dropped it off, and as she did she said in a very harsh tone "Next time, make sure you specify that you want it Vegan"...of course I felt bad as it was my mistake, however, you work at a veggie restaurant...you should have clued in and asked if i was trying to order it vegan. Thankfully for them I enjoy their food, as I would not return otherwise with that kind of service.

Pros: Yummy food, Raw Options, Vegan Options
Cons: Service is inconsistent, Small, Noisy

zafinonuta
zafinonuta

The bakery only...

5 Posted on 10 / 13 / 2008

I have eaten from the bakery many time but I can't comment on the restaurant side at this moment. The vegan baked goods are fantastic (I was a baker myself and have never made anything as delicious as the cookies) while the pies and brownies are noteworthy as well. I have met many non-veg people who enjoy the baked goods and are hooked on their chocolate chip cookies. This is by far one of the best vegan/raw/vegitarian bakeries I have tried in Canada. My only complaint is the unfriendly staff. The ladies seem more bothered by customers than enthused to help. The male (French) baker was quite the opposite and one of the nicest people I have met in the city of Ottawa. Though the staff is hit and miss, the baked goods are always A+

Pros: vegan/raw options, delicious, affordable
Cons: lack-luster staff
katiebird
katiebird

Lots of great raw options

5 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2008

The raw pizza is fantastic, as is the raw pie (raspberry is the best). The raw pie is best when it's a teeny bit frozen though, so take it home instead of eating it there! Raw truffles are amazing too.
Lots of other great food when I'm not on a raw food kick:) Toasted sandwiches are great, baked goods, and it's great to have the japanese breakfast as a unique brunch option (so hard to find vegan breakfasts at a restaurant!)

Pros: Excellent food, Great raw options, Funky atmosphere
Cons: Sometimes very busy, Sometimes noisy
Lola Crumpet
Lola Crumpet

A Great Bakery

5 Posted on 10 / 26 / 2007

Try their scones! Their pies rock! The check out staff in the bakery could be faster, but the baked goods are worth it.

They always have raw selections.

Coffee and sandwiches are good too.

Pros: organic, tasty, healthy, pies rock!, great staff
globalrevolutionnow
globalrevolutionnow

GREAT!

5 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2007

Ok, so I definitely agree the Wild Oat has had its moments with not-so-great service in the past- I've been going there for years, every few weeks. However, I dropped in early last spring, probably in March for breakfast on a Saturday morning and it was packed! But the staff was so jovial and friendly. There was great music and everyone was dancing, and it didn't take that long for our order. Our coffees came right away and were really good and the breakfast was fast and delicious. Since then I've been going back every weekend and sometimes pop in on weekdays and it's great. The baked goods are really delicious!

Pros: excellent food, fun atmosphere, various options, well-priced baked goods
Cons: a tiny bit pricy for non-baked goods, can sometimes be a long wait, sometimes hard to find a table
DC
DC

• non-vegetarian

Healthy Equals Bland at Wild Oat

2 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2007

I can't get excited about this place which does 'healthy' well, but fails in making it 'taste' good.

Two years living in the Glebe, and I basically avoid the Oat for tastier options at bakeries in Centre Town... and mostly food at home (healthy, but tastier).

Pros: healthy, good ingredients
Cons: taste, dry and bland

Dear Owner and Manager of The Wild Oat - Bakery and Whole Foods: