The Wedge Community Food Co-op

Natural foods co-op that provides a diverse selection of products. more-less

First Review by condekedar
cookiem
cookiem

Vegans delight at this co-op if wallets allow

4 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2014

Caveat: this place can cause you to pluck food items off the shelf and add up quickly to a high flying wallet defiling market trip.

However, with that said, the spacious parking for car or bike is inviting. When you walk in, you know you're in a health food store. You are greeted with many fresh vegetables from the area and California. The prices are fair, but, of course, organic can be expensive - you get what you pay for with this market of supply and demand. There are many choices for mushrooms, potatoes, fruits and vegetables. You will be happy if you are a produce fanatic.

In the aisles, there are many other delightful treats nestled for you to browse and to purchase. Personal care products like natural and organic soaps, tooth pastes and shampoos smell lovely. If you need some companion animal food items, they are here, too.

Keep going, and you will find the traditional grain items like cereals, bulk bins, noodles, rices, flours and baking needs, along with raw items, cookies, snacks, canned goods - it's all here. What's more exciting, though, is the prepared foods they have available for purchase. It's as good as if not better than local eatery food in this area! Freshly prepared with ingredients listed and vegan items clearly marked - it's like a (vegan) grazer's paradise!

I love the opportunity to get it all done here - purchase a beverage, too, like house made espresso drinks, teas, juices or smoothies. Oh, and don't forget the vegan coconut soft serve ice cream in a cone or cup. SOOOOO good.

There is also a ridiculous number of vegan cakes, cookies and quick breads - more than 1 dozen total choices, which is a lot for any non-vegan bakeshop. It's impressive, but it leaves me wanting all of them. Muffins, a scone, at least 6 different cookies, 2-4 cupcakes, 4-6 cake slices: wow is all I can say. The prices are fair, very fair, for the excellent quality. They have the best traditional vegan baked goods in Minneapolis! There are also freshly baked loaves of bread, so that's nice, too.

I wish I could live near this place, but I would gain much weight from the coconut soft serve and desserts. So good!!!

Pros: Vegan coconut soft serve!!!, Vegan dessert!, Produce variety
Cons: Prices
Maveric123
Maveric123

Love the Wedge

5 Posted on 03 / 21 / 2012

I have been a member since 1999 and have always loved The Wedge even if I don't get there that often (I more often go to whole Foods and the Northeast Co-op). I mainly go for the produce and the bulk dry goods and it is great. Lots of vegan stuff, so there is lots of other stuff I buy as well. The main draw back if anything is that it is almost always crowded. Overall, I don't think the masses of people who go is really that bad, because it shows massive support in the Twin Cities for Co-Op shopping, so I have no complaints. I don't even try to get in the lot anymore and walk from wherever I can find a spot on the street, which is much less stressful and walking is good for you anyway!

Pros: Great Produce, Great bulk dry goods, lots of vegan stuff
Cons: Crowds
g-force
g-force

Great though pricey

3 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2009

If I could afford it, I'd go there all the time. Great selection and quality. Not 100% veg*n, meat is sold there.

Pros: Quality, selection
Cons: price

SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Nice Co-op!

5 Posted on 05 / 26 / 2009

The Wedge appeared, to me, to be a very cool/hip place to shop. Everyone shopping/working there was nice, the prices were reasonable, the store was clean. I needed some snacks for my ride back to Chicago and felt this place had plenty to offer, and needless to say, I had some good snacks for the ride back. ;)

Keith_Thode
Keith_Thode

The deli alone is worth the trip

5 Posted on 01 / 22 / 2009

This is as good a health food store as you could want, but the hot and cold deli foods and the baked goods are.....well, I'm salivating just writing about them. When traveling from Detroit to the northwest, I always make sure that I'm driving through Minneapolis during business hours, so that I can stop here to pick up some food for the road after eating the Ecopolitan.

_cupcake
_cupcake

Great selection.

5 Posted on 07 / 18 / 2008

I love the Wedge, its by far my favorite grocery store to shop at. They have a good selection of non-geletin organic yogurts.. and also soy yogurt. Everything is laid out nicely, and they have a nice frozen section as well.

Pros: great quality produce, many veg brands, lots of organic candy
Cons: a little expensive, parking
Ramjet
Ramjet

Wow...what great produce!

5 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2008

The Wedge is a Co-op that is doing it right. Their produce is top-notch. The store is very nicely laid out with super wide isles. The staff all seemed very helpful and supportive. They also seemed to really like their work enviroment which says alot. We were pleasantly surprised to see they have a inscense section that was very well stocked.

Pros: Superb Produce, Great staff, Nice parking
condekedar
condekedar

Awesome

4 Posted on 11 / 03 / 2007

The Wedge is a happening place with a great selection of frozen and unfrozen vegan foods, along with eco-conscioius products for the home. They also have a cafe and food bar with numerous vegan sandwiches, hot entrees, desserts and drinks. Prices on the prepared food were reasonable, though not cheap. My only grip is that the food area is not 100% vegetarian. In the end, though, this is a great community gathering spot with great foods and products for conscientious consumers.

Pros: Diverse choices, Food bar, Community feel
Cons: Not 100% vegetarian, Slightly expensive at times

Dear Owner and Manager of The Wedge Community Food Co-op: