Re-opened under change of management May 2013 after brief closure, this is a not-for-profit, community interest company vegetarian cafe located above Friends of the Earth, via staircase, next to the One Earth vegan shop. Offers mostly vegan food with daily specials board, daytime and evening menus. Unlicensed but you could bring your own bottle. Small, simple space. Near the Moor Street Station & Bullring shopping centre in the city center. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, British, English, Catering

Bernardccc
Bernardccc

Lovely Family Lunch

Posted on 11 / 02 / 2014

We only called in for a cuppa...couldn't resist having more...tortillas and a vegan burger...all delicious and beautifully presented.
Updated from previous review on Saturday November 01, 2014

Pros: Next To Vegan Shop
Cons: Slightly Off The Beaten Track, Stairs
Rosa Mundi
Rosa Mundi

Delicious lunch

Posted on 10 / 16 / 2014

Lunch at The Warehouse Cafe today was great. Plenty to choose from although not liking mushrooms limited my choice.
The staff were very welcoming and efficient.
Wonderful artwork for sale made this a great experience.
I have been visiting The Warehouse Cafe since it first opened more than 20 years ago. It has had good times and mediocre times but now it is splendid
and I am looking forward to trying out the Christmas menu.

Pros: Good food, Interesting building, Asparagus wallpaper!
veggieram
veggieram

Warehousing Brummies

Posted on 04 / 18 / 2014

THE go-to veggie/vegan restaurant in Birmingham. Great food, and, despite its FOE partnership, non-hair shirty- you can actually just enjoy the food without feeling you're doing penance. Meat-eater friends who have been with me have always praised the food and the friendly, relaxed atmosphere, though I don't know how you'd get in there if you were in a wheelchair. The ring-the-bell-for-entry system in the evenings is a bit weird; makes me feel like I've joined the masons or something. And it would be great if they were licensed. But the pros far outweigh the cons. I just wish it was on the ground floor, more open and welcoming to passing trade (if there is such a thing in Allison Street), and sold beer.

Pros: Good, tasty food, Friendly atmosphere, Staff always friendly and helpful
Cons: Disability access? Maybe there is?, Location is Dickensian, No licence

Veganbogey
Veganbogey

Nice vegan burger

Posted on 12 / 20 / 2013

Took a meat eating friend who was more than happy with the burger.
Prices seem more reasonable in here now.
Friendly staff.

Sue P
Sue P

Great food and friendly, relaxed atmosphere

Posted on 11 / 18 / 2013

I have been to the Warehouse cafe x2 over the past month. Once in the evening and once at lunchtime. The menu at lunchtime was limited but the food was tasty and just the right size portions. The plum and ginger hot drink was so tasty.I found the staff helpful and attentive and were happy to make starter courses main meals and visa versa. The evening menu is more extensive and delicious. As the cafe is unlicensed you can take your own veggie beer or wine which I like. Great food and good service.

Pros: great tasty food, helpful and friendly staff, Can take your own alcohol
Cons: not sure is it has disability access, slightly away from Birmingham Centre
iamere
iamere

top spot to eat

Posted on 08 / 31 / 2013

I like the Warehouse cafe though I don't tend to eat there loads. It's verging on a bit too pricey for me but i like to support them so I usually tend to just snack there. They have a nice variety of foods and good vegan selection. They are having a bit of refurb done so check before going.

Pros: in the city, have birminghams only vegan shop below, friendly staff
Cons: bit pricey
number6
number6

cool place

Posted on 08 / 23 / 2013

I have been here a few times as a vegan in mixed omnivore-veg-vegan groups and always eaten well. Everyone has been very happy with their meal. Vegans have a choice of dishes but need to beware of some vegetarian dishes though everything is made clear on the menu.

Pros: good food, laid back
Cons: service can be slow, small so fills up quickly
joewk
joewk

Best-Ever Burger!! (Original)

Posted on 06 / 25 / 2013

Hello, fellow veg*n diners! Please, do yourselves a big favour and go to the Warehouse Cafe, order their original vegan burger, with the side of coleslaw and mayo in the bun, (all included in the price) and sit back and enjoy! The best vegan burger I've had in nearly 25 years of looking! The cafe is a relaxed environment, the staff are lovely and friendly and the food is inexpensively-priced ... just wish they could have premises in every town/city!

Pros: Best-ever burger, Environmentally-friendly ethical concern, Gluten-free dishes/options
Cons: Access via steep staircase, Not 100% vegan
Yolana
Yolana

Consistently Great Meals

Posted on 01 / 22 / 2013

The Warehouse Cafe is my go-to restaurant in Birmingham. The meals never disappoint, ingredients are fresh and local and seasonal. Vegan and Gluten-Free options are clearly marked on the menu. The atmosphere is clean, quiet, and cosy.

Pros: Good value, Yummy, Seasonal/Local
Cons: Doesn't serve alcohol.
GreenT
GreenT

High quality dining

Posted on 05 / 20 / 2012

I do find some of the reviews on here a bit unfair. I have visited the Warehouse Cafe several times and have only once had a less that perfect experience when my sausages came a bit burnt. Every other time the food has been delicious and perfectly cooked though. I think one of the problems could be their name. 'Cafe' suggests somewhere serving the usual veggie burgers, soup, sandwiches, etc. The Warehouse does do this sort of thing, but also has a variety of main meals more suitable for an evening out and the price reflects this. I think it's better to treat it as a restaurant offering a higher quality of food. It isn't the cheapest place, but I genuinely feel it offers great value for money given the quality of cooking. They have a really creative range of dishes cooked using local ingredients where possible that offer something a bit out of the ordinary. And at the end of the day the prices are still lower than most equivalent omnivorous places. I also find the portion sizes fine and am always stuffed by the time I come to dessert. I think it's perhaps because they normally serve the dishes artfully arranged on massive plates, so it can look less than you're actually getting. It's beautifully flavoured, high quality food though so you don't need enormous portions anyway. Occasionally the desserts can be a bit odd, but I think that is because we often have the vegan version of non-vegan desserts and they sometimes seem to have gone a bit weird in translation. So I would recommend you get specifically vegan desserts rather than these veganified versions!

Pros: Beautiful cooking, Great atmosphere & friendly staff, Good value
Cons: Desserts occasionally a bit odd
mmoneypenny
mmoneypenny

Not bad

Posted on 03 / 23 / 2012

Always a relief to find a vegan-friendly restaurant. Some discussion with the staff about how to get 6 people around two tables but managed to sort this out in the end. The main (Thai curry) was very tasty, the kale slightly soggy, the rum n raisin pudding... could've done better, a bit hard/stale. And £5 for a pudding is too much. Friendly staff. Central location.

Pros: Location, Staff, Vegan-friendly
Cons: Price, Lack of variety
JezzingtonBear
JezzingtonBear

Nice but overpricey!

Posted on 12 / 24 / 2011

I do think some of the negative reviews here are a little unfair. I went to Warehouse Cafe on a cold, wet day and found the place perfectly warm enough. The food was of a pretty high standard and very tasty. The portion size was absolutely fine but, at £5 for a starter and £9.75 for a main, I felt it was a little overpriced. As a small, independent place supporting Friends of the Earth though, I didn't mind too much. There was a good choice on the menu, with their three house burgers and an imaginative selection of starters, mains and deserts. Everything was either vegan or had a vegan option available.

I had the sun dried tomato & lentil sausages with root vegetable & mustard mash, braised red cabbage and gravy. The sausages were tasty but the mash was a little ordinary and I couldn't taste any mustard (in retrospect, I kind of wish I'd gone for the Thai Massaman potato, tofu puff and wood ear mushroom curry with jasmine rice, million year egg and pickled carrot). I also had a side order of chilli sprouts, kale & chestnut, which was almost orgasmically delicious! Service was a little slow. They have a kids section of the menu.

All in all, I wasn't blown away by the experience but I would certainly go back.

Pros: Tasty food, Varied menu
Cons: A little overpriced, Slightly slow service
MrDavey
MrDavey

Warehouse Cafe

Posted on 12 / 11 / 2011

I don't generally review anywhere but looking for new places to eat on happycow out of curiosity clicked on warehouse and was shocked to see it had a negative review!

I've been going here for over 3 years and have never ever had any problem they haven't instantly resolved. The service is brilliant even when its busy you get served quickly. Everyone I take there, vegetarian or not loves the food. Combined we've tried everything on the menu and a lot of the one off specials and while I prefer some things to others I've never been disappointed with anything. The menu is imaginative and nearly everything is vegan or possible to be made vegan.

I don't know what else to say, I'd recommend this place to anyone, I can't see how you'd be disappointed.

Davey.

Pros: Amazing food, Great service, Good value
Cons: Location, Not 100% vegan
cprisacariu
cprisacariu

best food and nicely served (much organic)

Posted on 10 / 31 / 2011

The restaurant was great. Really down to earth vegetarian restaurant. It strives to have organic products also. Beverages the same. The food was very good, though not many choices. The food had nice presentation. And it was enough to stuff your belly. We had several dishes and all were happy. The service was kind. One can pay by international visa card also.

Too bad it is not easy to find this restaurant. But the atmosphere is for a true vegetarian and organic believer.

Pros: organic, good food, nice serving
Cons: not easy to find
Guest
Guest

My favourite vegan burger.

Posted on 07 / 31 / 2011

The Warehouse Special Burger is my favourite vegan burger from any restaurant or company. For around £6, you can get a burger, in a bun with pesto and cheese, with a generous portion of salad and potato wedges. As a vegan student, I think such a meal is good value, especially when the food is tasty, fresh, and served by friendly staff in a lovely atmosphere. The prices can be expensive, as puddings are around £5, but each Monday is a Meat Free Monday meal deal, with a buy one get one free on meals. This also happens on Student Tuesdays, if you are lucky enough to have a student card! The food is all delicious, and the range of vegan cakes makes this a fun spot for afternoon tea. Friends of the Earth are downstairs, with lots of great vegan and environmental leaflets, Definitely worth your time and money.

Pros: Vegan cake, Great vegan burger, Lovely staff
logocar
logocar

The best vego restaurant in Birmingham

Posted on 07 / 06 / 2011

I love this restaurant, the only way it could improve is if it was completely vegan ;)
Love the relaxed atmosphere inside the restaurant and the food is always amazing. Everytime I've been there the staff have been so helpful and always have a smile. I highly recommend the vegan cheesecake yum yum!

Pros: Vegan options, Friendly staff, Nice restaurant
MirandaM
MirandaM

Great for vegans!

Posted on 05 / 16 / 2011

I visited recently as part of a group. The service was efficient and friendly and there are plenty of vegan choices on the menu, including specials. The food was imaginative and tasty, I didn't think portion sizes were small, as other reviewers have complained. As a dessert lover, it is always a big plus for me when restaurants offer a choice of vegan desserts. Unfortunately I didn't have room to try the brownie, cheesecake or sundae, but they looked delicious!

Pros: Lots of choice for vegans, Vegan mayo and cheese available, Good choice of desserts
Cons: Too far away from my home town :-(
hokusai77
hokusai77

Very good food

Posted on 03 / 27 / 2011

I had a very positive impression from this restaurant, at least for food. I really enjoyed the celeriac and rosemary soup with walnut cream and organic bread, and my partner was very fond of his spicy Mexican gorditas with chipotle and tomato sauce and mango-lime puree. We then both had some wonderful brown lentil and sundried tomato sausages with colcannon mash and organic ale gravy, which we thought were just genial. But desserts were the best part of our meal: I had a chocolate-orange brownie with cardamom ice-cream and roasted pistachios (all vegan), which I really loved. Portions were also good, service quite good even though staff was not very friendly.

Pros: good food
Cons: not very friendly staff
jinsao
jinsao

I'd only go there if It was my last place to eat

Posted on 03 / 13 / 2011

I have really tried to like the warehouse cafe as it is one of the only two decent vegan caterers in Birmingham, but I just find it so unimaginative and overpriced, consisting mainly of curries, japanese foods and burgers. The manager seemed to take my feedback completely the wrong way and the food was almost cold.

Great desserts and friendly waiter, if you are a yo-yo dieter, this is the perfect place for you as the portions are small.

All in all, I wouldn't go there again unless it was the only vegan eatery left in Birmingham.

Pros: Friendly staff, Nice food, Healthy cuisine
Cons: Expensive, Small portions, Unimaginative
valerie graham
valerie graham

very mediocre

Posted on 01 / 09 / 2011

We have really tried to like the Warehouse,but it is so overrated.In most cities they would struggle to survive,but they have little if any competition in Birmingham.The meals are very dull,the portions are incredibly mean,and on our last visit,during the recent freezing weather,the room had been left without heating over Christmas.The staff did try to reseat us near a heater,but we kept our coats and hats on for much of the meal.They really are so complacent,so we are voting with our feet-never again!

Pros: nice staff, pleasant surroundings
Cons: unimaginative food, mean portions, poor value
hack_man
hack_man

Brum Brum

Posted on 07 / 06 / 2010

Splendid place serving a fine range of filling, imaginative and well presented meals of which many are vegan. Plenty of seats, friendly environment and reasonable prices. There is a vegan shop attached next door which may be part of the same organisation I do not know, but that is also worth a visit.

Pros: food, staff
Alyson
Alyson

Great

Posted on 07 / 02 / 2010

My boyfriend and I ate here twice in one day (lunch time, tea time) before and after an interview. It was quiet both times. We tried a range of the food and drinks and loved all of it. Good vegan versions of some dishes and fully vegan other dishes. Only took 10mins to walk from B'ham New Street station (although we do walk fast!). If we're in B'ham again we'll definitely visit if we have the time.

Pros: vegan options, tasty, friendly staff
Glasra
Glasra

great food, and very central

Posted on 06 / 05 / 2010

I had a three-course vegan meal here in June 2010 and really enjoyed it. The atmosphere is friendly and laid-back, but this is a proper restaurant, with table service and an impressive level of attention to food presentation. The starters and mains are a mix of European, Asian and Middle Eastern dishes, and there are at least two vegan desserts available. I had excellent falafel for starters, and homemade lentil and sundried tomato bangers and mash for a main. Dessert was a very rich chocolate biscuit cake with vegan ice-cream and ginger-infused prunes.

The restaurant is on a small unprepossessing side-street, but is only a few minutes from Birmingham's Bullring. I will certainly go again next time I'm in the city.

Pros: lots of delicious vegan options, friendly staff, good value
heywood100
heywood100

A longstanding Brum favourite

Posted on 03 / 23 / 2010

The Warehouse is pretty much the 'go-to' place for vegans and vegetarians in Birmingham city centre, and has been for some years now. The place is small, friendly and excellently located near pubs, bike shops, organic food stores and vintage clothes shops(although you might not think it's so excellent when you're trying to find its slightly obscure location for the first time), and the atmosphere is calm and quiet, with generally friendly and helpful staff.

The food is good quality too, with an unchanging menu supplemented by a few regularly rotating specials, and lots of options for organic juice, cola or tea. My one gripe would be that some of the portion sizes for the mains have been slowly shrinking in recent times, while the prices remain the same. I guess that's the recession for you, but it can still be a little dispiriting for the regular visitor...

Nevertheless, I would recommend the Warehouse to veggies and vegans in Birmingham!

Kate Stevns
Kate Stevns

Love it, wish there were more in Birmingham!

Posted on 10 / 15 / 2009

I said to my boyrfriend when we went last that I wanted to tell the world about this place but keep it my little secret! Think that probably describes this place best! I have been many times and they are always really helpful and great that most of the dishes are either vegan or can be veganised! Yummy drinks and GORGEOUS desserts. Always leave full and happy! I think it's great value for money. In fact might just have to go tonight and fill up on vegan cheesecake and chocolate brownie! mmmmm

Pros: yummy food, helpful staff, very vegan friendly
Cons: A bit hard to find!
Sorriso.capo
Sorriso.capo

Great place, but not filling, and overpriced

Posted on 09 / 09 / 2009

This place was really eccentric and cool.
I loved the menu options and the atmosphere. Unfortunately I was really disappointed in the amount of food served. I thought hopefully the dessert would fill me up. But that too was very small. It's good place to try out but, definitely not filling and overpriced.

Pros: Down to earth, Cool atmosphere, Good menu
Cons: Overpriced, Not handicap friendly, Food is not filling
sparkly_ruth
sparkly_ruth

Love this place

Posted on 08 / 10 / 2009

The Warehouse Cafe is great. I'm a regular here & have introduced omnivore friends who have also been recommending it to others. Very close to the city centre, the food is great with good vegan options & the drink selection is great. It's BYO which is also very handy and all the food I've tried has been superb. They're also happy for you to come in just for a drink when they're not too busy. It's an oasis of calm & yumminess & the staff are fab.

Pros: Great food, Lovely staff, Good value for money
Cons: I wish the menu changed more often, Would prefer more salads at lunchtime
happyeater
happyeater

lovely place

Posted on 05 / 22 / 2009

This is a super restaurant, friendly and unpretentious. The food is good, but a little rich - the main veg dish had cream and wine in - would like some simpler options, apart from salad! Will definitely go again.

MrFalafel
MrFalafel

An oasis for veggies!

Posted on 08 / 21 / 2008

A bit hidden, the restaurant is actually almost under Moor St Rail station. If you could rappel from platform 2, you'd land at the front door. But its very convienent for areas outside of B'ham (I came up from Solihull).
At the front door, you ring the bell and the chef runs down to let you in. The menu is not large, but look for the specials. Dining room is pretty big with standard mix and match pine furniture and hardwood floors. Very clean. Just one waitstaff but with only a dozen tables you're well served.
There is no wine list but you can bring your own bottle. However, there are no offies anywhere near the place.
As I was dining alone, the only starter was soup so I didn't bother opting for Lentil and Sun Dried tomato sausages and herbed mash which was served with a lovely red onion relish and swimming in gravy. Very well presented and piping hot. The homemade sausages were very good and the mash presented very cleanly. Certainly one of the best veg sausage and mash I've ever had.
Didn't have to wait long for the order or to get served on a rainy Wednesday night. Other diners were certainly enjoying their meals, too.
That hugely filling plate with a bottle of herby root beer set me back £10 (including tip).
I'd certainly go back again to try some of the other specials but I'm going to try and save room for the vegan cheescake...

Pros: big portions, relaxes atmoshpere, vegan desserts!
Cons: a bit hidden, BYOB
MistressH
MistressH

Fantastic specials!

Posted on 08 / 05 / 2008

The Warehouse cafe is a very friendly establishment, with fantastic food and many vegan options includng vegan cheesecake!
A lot of the meals are curry or daal based but they also do amazing burgers and sunday roasts, they also have live music for special occasions!

Reasonably priced too

Pros: not too expensive, fantastic sunday roasts, vegan friendly
Cons: kids menu needs expanding, often sell out of specials!, up steep stairs
jack
jack

Well worth a visit!

Posted on 03 / 30 / 2008

First, despite other comments, as newcomers to Brum we found this place easy to find (with a map) and very central.

The place was friendly, welcoming and comfortable. The menu (which we'd had a look at on the net beforehand) looked lovely and vegan friendly.

We had spring onion pancakes with crispy fried tofu and soy ginger vegetables. A really tasty and innovative dish. It could be even better (in our opinion) if the pancakes were thin not thick and the tofu was marinated and crispy. The soy ginger sauce on the vegetables was delicious. It was great to have access to soya milk for a nice cup of tea. The Warehouse is well worth a visit.

shan
shan

Best eatery

Posted on 04 / 19 / 2007

The cafe's changed hands a couple of times but they have it well sussed, food is excellent, staff are helpful and polite, wish it was open more. Best restaurant in the midlands!

Pros: Friendly, imaginative menu, good range of food/drink
Stevie
Stevie

The Warehouse Cafe, Birmingham

Posted on 09 / 09 / 2006

I've been a couple of times to this place in central Brum on Saturday afternoons in 2005. No problems at all getting a decent vegan meal on each occaision.

Dear Owner and Manager of The Warehouse Cafe: