The Veggie Table

100% vegan restaurant offering western and international fare with some local, seasonal organic specials. Uses onion, garlic, the 5 pungent plant. Chinese address 北京市东城区雍和宫五道营胡同甲19号. Directions: Subway Line 2 or 5, Yonghegong Station. Lama Temple area (Yonghegong). Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Western, International, Chinese
19 Wudaoying Hutong, Dong Cheng District
Beijing, China 100007
+86-10-6446-2073

Open Wed-Mon, closed Tues.

First Review by baumgaa
kim2121
kim2121

Western-Style Vegan Food in Beijing

4 Posted on 04 / 01 / 2014

For me this restaurant was five stars for service, atmosphere, and location and about three stars for food. I had the black bean burger and it was way too dry for my taste. That being said, I definitely plan to go back and try other dishes because the restaurant had a great homey feel to it and there were a lot of other tempting options on the menu. It's also in a fun neighborhood for hanging out after dinner, and has very reasonable prices considering how hard it is to get vegan food in Beijing (let alone Western vegan food). There's an English menu.

Pros: Great Atmosphere, Polite Service, Close to Lama Temple subway station
DaniM
DaniM

Awesome!

5 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2014

This vegan restaurant is easy to find (it's right across the Lama-Temple) and it's located in a cool urban neighborhood and shopping/drinking-street.
The staff is friendly and the location is very cozy decorated, you feel good there. They offer not too many dishes but that's ok, cause the quality and taste of the meals and smoothies is very delicious so the variety is absolutely adequate.

You'll enjoy it there.

TwoDans
TwoDans

A super funky vegan oasis in Beijing

5 Posted on 01 / 12 / 2014

While we didn't expect to eat western vegan food in Beijing, the incredible organic vegan food at the Veggie Table was certainly welcomed and appreciated. Everything is made onsite with great thought. We tried a number of dishes and drinks on two occasions. The highlights were definitely the mushroom pate, hummus with freshly made pita, chocolate cake and the mushroom burger (especially the dark seeded burger bun). Must tries are the alcoholic hot drinks; hot chocolate and chai, both with rum which go fabulously with the chocolate cake on a cold wintery evening in Beijing.

The interior is pretty funky, warm and inviting. There's lots to look at, from the records on the walls to the beautiful greenery framing the windows, which distracted us from our slowish table service as similarly experienced by other reviewers. But that suited us fine as we wanted to stay as long as possible.

Pros: fabulous western vegan options, alcoholic chai and hot chocolate, funky setting
soph
soph

Great organic food

5 Posted on 10 / 24 / 2013

I went here multiple times- for dinner and lunch. It's always full of people, locals and foreigners. The service is a little slow, but the food is all organic and handmade- they make their own ketchup, their own tahini, etc. The price of the dishes reflect the quality and the care they put into the food. I usually spend about 100 for both food and drink. I've tried their veggie curry with brown rice, their hummus and pita bread, their smoothies, and their chili spaghetti. All very tasty! It's a good place to go with friends or on your own. Easy to walk to from the Yonghegong subway station on line 2, and easy to find. Plus, the little street the restaurant is on is also home to some really cute boutique stores.

Pros: Delicious, organic, vegan
bluepaper
bluepaper

Easy to find

4 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2013

This was the first restaurant my friends and I have been to - we were really impresed. It's a great atmosphere and easy to find, it exists for 4 years now.
We liked it so much that came more often and almost ordered the whole menu.
We can really recommend the lemonade of fresh mint and lemons
(I didn't like the cucumber-drink)
The mushroom burger is also very delicious but not very easy to digest (they seem to use a lot of raw onions)
We also liked the big plate with several dips.

The only thing we really missed was typical chinese food. They didn't even offer one dish...

Pros: fresh made drinks
Cons: no chinese food
schumacher62
schumacher62

quite nice

4 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2013

went with my boyfriend for lunch. on a very interesting hutong and is a pretty cool alternative looking establishment inside. he had the pasta and i had the mushroom burger. it came with 6 small home fries, and when i asked for some ketchup, i got a small dish of veganaise...

everything was tasty, service for a late lunch was very slow, prices were what i would pay in san francico, friendly and uncrowded and maybe half those eating while we were there were foreigners.

i would go back, if in the neighborhood again. wishing them the best!

Pros: very cool setting, books and walls to read
Cons: pricier than i would have imagined, slow-ish service.
Marike
Marike

good food for a decent price

4 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2013

I webt here twice during my stay in Beijing. The 1st time I had the beanburger, the 2nd time the couscous. Both were good, and cheap. It's nice having western food for a change when in China.

proper or pompous?
proper or pompous?

a break from the norm

4 Posted on 05 / 14 / 2013

i shared a hummus plate & a pizza with a friend, and we were both satisfied. the pizza was thin crust, with what tasted like a sun-dried tomato tapenade, a layer of finely chopped onions, and a few pieces of eggplant. i was suspicious at first, because of it's appearance, but it tasted quite good. we both enjoyed the hummus as well.

Pros: all vegan
enRoute
enRoute

Charming, quirky, unique

4 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2013

I agree with other reviews that this is a great place in many ways, with a few quirks. As noted, their specialty is creative western fare. Great hummus, interesting drinks, unique dishes like couscous and falafel.

Service is indeed spacey, but capable. I did have to wait nearly 40 mins for my order, but the place was full and the atmosphere is fun - great music, and intriguing LP's up around the bar. The only place in Beijing I know about that you'll get vegan mayo w/fries and burgers.

It's also in the 'veggie ghetto' of the city and close to at least 4 other restaurants, so the area is well worth checking out.

Pros: Tasty, Different, Hip
Cons: Pricey, Hit and miss quality, Service has its moments
Pitaya
Pitaya

Nice place, slow food...

3 Posted on 03 / 15 / 2013

I would like to love this restaurant, but unfortunately I can't. It's a nice restaurant that offers possibility to enjoy some other vegetarian (vegan) food than Chinese. But recently the service has been so slow, that it's almost unbelievable. Many times they don't have some menu items at all and even if they have everything, menu still isn't very large. Food is normally ok, but some dishes are not that great. I still value their effort and use of organic ingredients. Wine and beer are also available. But it's definitely not the place to convince your meat-eating friends about greatness of being vegetarian.

You can also order their dishes via Sherpa Food Delivery Service: http://www.sherpa.com.cn/listMenuItem.shtml?selServiceCharge=25&restaurantID=10872B01&delTag=1

About the lack of toilet: Veggie table is situated in a (very nice) hutong street. You cannot build toilets to these buildings. There are two public toilets close to the restaurant and you could say that using them is part of any real Beijing experience. :)

Updated from previous review on Tuesday January 10, 2012: Now one year later I have to say that I have much more positive feelings towards this restaurant. I still think that many of their dishes are not perfectly executed, but for example hummus is very good, they have their own fresh vegan mayonnaise, great warm and cold drinks and some other nice appetizers and soups. I still don't like their burgers a lot and I think that their pizza should not be called pizza, but this is still a unique restaurant in Beijing: European style vegan food, very nice atmosphere, great location, serves also alcohol (vegan hot chocolate with rum!) and they have really high ecological standards and standards for food freshness/use of clean and healthy items. Service is sometimes extremely slow, but not always. :)
Updated from previous review on Thursday January 03, 2013

Pros: Totally vegan, Serves also alcohol, Ecological attitude
Cons: Not all dishes that great, Slow service
halcyonicole
halcyonicole

Food is delicious but...

3 Posted on 10 / 16 / 2012

Food is delicious but presentation and service needs work. The food is plated up looking like they're homemade, which would be acceptable for a lesser price tag. But since it is on the medium price range and the rest of the decor suggests a classier establishment, I'd think that the presentation should reflect that. It is a small improvement that could definitely spice up the place. The service in general is just ok. Our waiter was a bit standoffish, and when asked to write down our orders because when he repeated it, it was wrong, he simply refused. Then eventually got one if the orders wrong.

Go there for a break from faux meat and Chinese grease. It's still a nice place with good atmosphere to enjoy coffee or a glass of wine and a chat. Enjoy.

Pros: food, atmosphere, cake
Cons: service, presentation
Minni
Minni

If you're looking for Western style vegan food

3 Posted on 09 / 16 / 2012

If you're looking for something else than your normal Chinese vegan mock meat dishes, then Veggie Table is a good choice. Otherwise, if you're just looking for a vegan restaurant, I'd pick something more affordable.

The food is not bad, it's just not worth the price, unfortunately.

Pros: all vegan
Cons: slow service, a bit expensive, the food's not that great
mikethevegan
mikethevegan

A delight!

5 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2012

I've eaten in four or five vegetarian restaurants in Beijing now and this one is tied for first (with Vegetarian Tiger). It's located in a very nice hutong steps from Yonghegong station. It's charmingly decorated, though a bit cramped. I was there at 8:00 p.m. and the dinner rush made the service a little slow, but not terribly so. The staff were extremely friendly and spoke more English than at any other restaurant I've been to in Beijing so far. The food was very good. It's generally Western-style food, but with creative touches. Lots of the menu is organic and some of it is local. I would highly recommend this restaurant. Others complain about the prices, which are admittedly higher than at fast food restaurants, but the prices are still a steal compared to food prices in the West. My dinner of a delicious smoothie and a heaping plate of couscous with veggies cost 105 RMB, which is less than $20 Canadian at today's exchange rate.

Pros: Very friendly staff, Great food, Near subway
Cons: Slightly cramped
mumpsimus
mumpsimus

Good for western veggie food

4 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2012

The restaurant is located in Wudaoying Hutong, which is a beautiful little street full of cafes and small shops. The restaurant is very cozy with lots of sofas, they also played some of my favourite music, so I enjoyed the atmosphere. Now, the food: I ordered the mushroom burger, because it has been a while since I last had a burger and it was recommended. My Chinese friends also tried it but it was impossible for them to eat, i.e. it completely fell apart, for all four of them. I actually quite liked the taste of the burger, even though the consistency of the patty was too soft. The coleslaw was good, homemade fries delicious and the vegan mayo was awesome. I also had a papaya, banana, soya shake which was my favourite part of the meal. Also tried some of their curry, which was quite decent. The service was reasonably quick by the way.

My Chinese friends apparently did not like the food very much, did not finish their drinks either and we all spend a 100 RMB each, which was too expensive for just having a burger and a drink. For me, the price is tolerable, restaurants on Wudaoying are a bit pricier in general and there are not a lot of options for Western vegan food anyway. I might take visiting friends from back home there, for locals there are better and cheaper options around.

Pros: Vegan western food, Nice location and atmosphere
Cons: Fairly expensive
xraysez
xraysez

Atmosphere and food rival most vegan restaurants

5 Posted on 01 / 01 / 2012

Visited 3 times over our 2 weeks in Beijing, best way to find it is to exit the nearby station from C exit, cross the road, and turn down the first hutong, avoiding the traffic.
The atmosphere would rival many western veggie restaurants, it is a calm heaven from hectic Beijing, and the food is so good.
Recommend the mushroom burger, especially for the Best Vegan Coleslaw, or try a platter of little dishes, like lentil soup and salad, they really know how to work with flavours. The black Ginger tea seems expensive but they do refill the pot, so it's worth it.
The menu is all in English and they do great drinks too. The staff seem very friendly and the sofa's are comfy to relax on.
I would recommend this to anyone craving a taste of western food.
The burger is about 58 and tea pot is 65, most drinks about 30 and a mixed platter is 75, seems great value for the quality of the food.

Pros: Non smoking, Easy for westerners, Quality Ingredients
Cons: Can appear pricey, Can get busy
veganpunx
veganpunx

Absolutely worth trying

5 Posted on 12 / 20 / 2011

Being a fine example of the "slow food" cuisine, the Veggie Table will most certainly be enjoyed by anyone who appreciates conscious food. To my knowledge the restaurant uses oraganic products whenever it's possible. They care about the environment (look at the recycled paper hand towels) and put much effort into preparing the dishes. Not many restaurants in Beijing use filtered water to make food and they do!
I've been to the place on many occasions and was always served very quickly. The menu is extensive and offers different types of food from various parts of the world. The mushroom burgers beat everything over head, and chocolate cake with its fine dark chocolate will taste even better with soy milk mocha. I went crazy for the beets salad - it's absolutely amazing. So is the vegan Coleslaw served with homemade vegan mayonnaise.
I do recommend the place!

megan ko
megan ko

amazing food and philosophy worth supporting

4 Posted on 11 / 20 / 2011

--100% vegan menu makes for unsurpassed diversity and several gluten-free options both hot and cold
--western vegan desserts
--big windows and lots of wood and cushions for a bright and cozy environment
--partnered with a local organic farm to supply some of the veg and serve as a community pickup spot for organic produce
--not worried about the toilet: public toilets are a part of Beijing life, and "thanks to" gentrification, these toilets are numerous and pretty nice

full disclosure: i met the chef at a vegan event she organized in Beijing when i first arrived in the city, so i had that pleasure of eating her homemade food before the restaurant was born

Pros: good food, cozy atmosphere, near subway
Cons: sluggish service
baumgaa
baumgaa

What if you need the bathroom?

3 Posted on 11 / 07 / 2011

On an attractive restaurant street. Nice decor. Relatively expensive, but excellent well prepared fresh food. The biggest con is that there is no toilet in the restaurant. One must use the public toilet outside, on the street. Imagine freezing in the cold or getting soaked in the rain just to use the facilities. The owners are aware of this problem, but they must do something to correct it.

Pros: excellent fresh food
Cons: service could be faster, NO TOILET

Dear Owner and Manager of The Veggie Table: