The Veggie Red Lion

A cozy country pub that serves vegetarian and vegan food. It's child friendly with a childrens' menu, outside play area and wendy house, coloring books, pencils, and games for indoor play. Dogs are welcome. Free wi-fi. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Beer/Wine
Greenstreet Green, Gt Bricett (Ipswich area, Suffolk)
Ipswich, England IP7 7DD
01473-657799

Open Tue-Sat 12-2pm, 6-9pm, Sun 12-2:30pm, closed Mon.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by cyberpen
fimct
fimct

Amazing find in rural Suffolk

5 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2014

I couldn't believe my luck when I was looking for somewhere nice to take my sister (who lives in Sudbury) for her birthday, which served vegan food. Lo and behold, my first Google search revealed not only somewhere that served vegan food but that was 100% vegetarian. I was expecting at best to find somewhere with maybe one vegan option, or to have to go to a chain restaurant and eat something mass produced and microwaved.

We went there on a grey Wednesday lunchtime in January and were expecting to find the place quite empty, but I was alarmed to be asked if I had booked...I hadn't, but luckily there was a table! It got pretty busy, with a range of clientele, from people like us coming out for a special meal, to people obviously dropping in during their lunch break. About half the menu is either vegan or can be made vegan, though all three of us opted for the same main course as it sounded so tempting...Portobello Mushroom Wellington. We certainly weren't disappointed - it was in delicious crispy pastry and served with an apple gravy (my non-vegan sister had a creamy apple sauce) and vegetables, and chips or new potatoes. The desserts (and again, it was a real treat to get not only a vegan dessert that wasn't just a fruit salad) were beautifully presented and delicious. I've attached a picture of the blueberry frangipane tart my sister had.

Oh, and the bar staff were very friendly and welcoming, and the pub also sells "Redi-Meals" which are a bargain at 3 for £10. No nasty factory-produced rubbish here - these are homemade meals (some are on the regular menu) and are generous in size, serving two people if you also cook some rice etc. with them. I only wish I'd bought more than three! All in all, a really good experience!

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly bar staff and good service, "Redi-meals" to take away
HannahPione
HannahPione

• non-vegetarian

#Impressed!

5 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2014

Visited today with a good friend of mine, we chose this place as she is vegan and wanted to try somewhere different where she might have a reasonable choice of food!
I recommend you call to book a table as when we arrived it was packed and they had no free tables. However they offered us a table outside which was lovely, really pleasent seating area and lovely tables and chairs. We later moved inside as the rain threatened to drown us!
The food selection was fantastic and my friend was so impressed at how many of the meals could be adapted to make them vegan.
We had the African sweet potato stew and carrot lentil and coriander burger with chunky chips, both incredibly tasty, well sized portions and very filling!
The specials were extremely tempting also.
All staff were so very friendly and couldn't do enoug to help us enjoy our meals and overall experience.
My friend also purchased a take away vegan ready meal which she has yet to try but I'm positive it will be absolutely gorgeous.
As a non vegetarian I would recommend this place to anyone, they have such a range of options you will find something for you and I was as satisfied with my choice as I would have been with anything non-vegetarian!
No recommendations on what could have been better, this is a cosy friendly delightful place!!

Pros: Variety on menu, Atmosphere/location, Friendly staff
Veggietraveller
Veggietraveller

What a find

5 Posted on 11 / 18 / 2013

The Red Lion is the best of both worlds. A good pub with good beer and atmosphere plus excellent veggie food. A must for vegetarians and an ideal place to take non-vegetarians - they will not be disappointed.
The pub do frozen take aways so you can enjoy the food even though ( like us) you live miles away)

Pros: Food, Beer, Atmosphere
Cons: There is only one Veggie Red Lion
anarchistanimal
anarchistanimal

Well worth seeking out

5 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2012

Charming old English country pub with a delightful atmosphere and friendly workers. Plenty of clearly-marked vegan and gluten-free options - about half the menu. We had an African stew, a mushroom port and chestnut pie, and a lentil salad. For dessert we had a berry sorbet with vegan vanilla ice-cream. Everything was hearty, delicious and generous portions.

Pros: Charming atmosphere, Lots of vegan and gluten-free options, Desserts
digby
digby

amazing

5 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2012

I have two very fussy sons : one vegetarian, the other only eats tomato ketchup.( I eat anything). The veggie Redlion was an after thought and I expected a complete disaster.
However, not only did we all get fed, we all had the best meals ever! Fantastic service, ( nothing too much trouble)and a lovely country Pub atmosphere.
We left the place completely stuffed and a carrier bag full of frozen veggie readymeals that will make life a lot easier when it's my turn to cook the tea.

Pros: amazing food, friendly service, readymeals

Suzie Q
Suzie Q

Fantastic food

5 Posted on 01 / 08 / 2012

Have never been to a completely veggie pub before! Don't know if any more exist, but am sure there is nothing to beat this one. The food was excellent, the atmosphere relaxing and the staff were fantastic! If you are veggie or vegan and living in the South of England, you really need to go!

JG555
JG555

Great veggie food

5 Posted on 05 / 09 / 2011

Lovely food and good service. Would def recommend a visit if in the area.

Pros: great food, good surroundings, good service
Cons: remote location
JulieRobertson
JulieRobertson

A delight

5 Posted on 09 / 27 / 2010

What a pleasure it is to have such an excellent choice of well cooked and imaginative veggie food in such pleasant surroundings. My vegan daughter and son in law love it although they might agree that their choices are more limited. They find Jan very willing tp help and please.

mikehill64
mikehill64

Great find in Suffolk

5 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2010

Have been here twice now and food has always been great. Atmosphere is nice and relaxed and staff are very friendly. As per other comments could improve the vegan labeling but all in all a must for vegans/veggies in the area!

Pros: menu, atmosphere
abbybarker
abbybarker

Small choice for vegans

2 Posted on 12 / 22 / 2009

After wanting to eat here for ages, I finally went about 6 weeks ago. I mentioned I was vegan before I went, was told this was no problem. However I was very disappointed with the lack of vegan options on the menu, and everything I asked to be veganised, I was told it was already prepared and so couldn't be altered - butter in the mash, cheese on enchiladas... The food I did have was lovely, it is such a shame that somewhere like Pizza Express is more willing to change their menu for vegans than a vegetarian restaurant.

Pros: Nice location, Friendly staff
Cons: Lack of vegan choice, Food "already prepared"
bungybunny
bungybunny

Mixed Feelings

3 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2009

This was our third visit to the Red Lion and I have to admit being disappointed. Whilst we applaud the concept of a vegetarian pub, it would be helpful if they could mark the menu up so that us vegans knew what was suitable for us instead of having to ask all the time.

The White bean & cumin pate was excellent but having to hunt down some dressing for the salad was a pain.

For a main I had the aubergine and couscous which was a little dry and oddly came with veg and potato option (it would appear that everything does nomatter what it is).

Normally one of the pleasures of going to a veggie establishment is that there are plenty of dessert options. Sadly out of some 15 dessert options (including the specials) only one was vegan.

Overall I'd say I'd go back, but I'd like to see a little more thought from the vegan angle and some more variation on the menu; it's not changed much in 18 months.

Tanith
Tanith

Classic English Pub Lunch - Veggie style

5 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2009

My husband is an extremely fussy vegetarian and so we rarely visit tradtional English pubs as the vegetarian offerings are usually Rissotto or stuffed peppers. So we were extremely pleased to discover the Veggie Red Lion. For the first time he had no trouble in finding both a starter and main course to eat!

The Dim Sum was highly praised and I would definitely recommend the African Sweet Potato Stew, but be warned, it's filling!

Despite arriving just 10 minutes before the kitchen closed we were served with a smile and never felt rushed.

Also very child friendly, a high chair was in place on arrival and there is a large garden with a play house and swings. The only downside is that the garden opens straight onto the carpark, although the play area is set at the opposite end, so a watchful guardian does need to be present!

I would recommend a visit to the Red Lion for any vegetarian's in the area or passing by, we will definitely be returning!

Pros: Entirely vegetarian menu, Traditional English Pub decor and atmos, Friendly and welcoming staff
Cons: Garden not fully enclosed
JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible

• herbivore

Just superb - veggy pub

4 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2008

Check out the menu on the website - plus there are daily "specials".

Jan the owner / chef is marvellous.

Well worth visiting.

Phone / email ahead to confirm vegan choices.

cyberpen
cyberpen

A great find

5 Posted on 05 / 04 / 2008

Whether you are veggie or not you will love the Red Lion.
Friendly staff, great menu, attractive venue & reasonable prices.
A real gem.