The Veggie Grill - Santa...

Vegan fast food cafe chain restaurant offering a variety of original veggie burgers and sandwiches, hot plates, plus salads, sweet potato fries, kids menu, and desserts. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, American, Fast food, Catering, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by SynthVegan
Gabe
Gabe

Like a way better version of Native Foods

5 Posted on 02 / 19 / 2014

I haven't eaten an actual chicken sandwich in a number of years, but this is one of those places that makes a vegan version that would satisfy most carnivores. Also excellent drinks and desserts.

Pros: Great vegan fast food, decent value, friendly staff
Cons: Fattening, no parking
Meataholic
Meataholic

Chain Vegan

3 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2013

What can I say. McVegan has arrived. Decent Veggie Burger but for $10? Quality of "meat" seemed typical, no difference perceived with store purchased Morninstar Farms with some fixings on it.
Also went to Santa Monica location identical menu,pricing.

Pros: Consistentcy, Multiple Locations
Cons: Pricey , Chain Restaurant environment, Food quality just average
sglcklch
sglcklch

vegan fast food at its best

4 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2013

My partner and I stopped by and had a pretty good lunch here before heading out of town. Place was clean, staff very kind, food was tasty although not as healthy as I would've liked. Yes, the entire menu is vegan, but much of it is fried and uses fake meat/dairy products. It was all too processed for frequent visits, but OK for a little indulgence once in a while. They do have a couple of healthier soup and salad items. I also liked that you can opt for steamed kale instead of wheat bun for your burger. If you want a cruelty-free fast food fix, this IS the place.

Pros: tasty food, friendly service
Cons: not that healthy
FoodAndLoathing
FoodAndLoathing

Vegan fast food with mass appeal

4 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2013

Nope, it ain't healthy, but at least no animals were harmed. Also, it's probably less unhealthy than MOST fast food, just more unhealthy than what comes out of my kitchen. Whatever. It's a treat, and it's completely crowded with omnivores, which makes me so incredibly happy. They need to expand across the country. You know what would be a good place for one? San Francisco east bay. Oakland? Berkeley? HINT HINT. I feel like this chain could be successful anywhere.

Pros: all vegan, popular with omnis, consistant
Cons: less healthy
SoledadMoretti
SoledadMoretti

Loved it!

5 Posted on 11 / 13 / 2012

I can't believe I didn't find this place before. Food is delicious, and served super fast. Nicely decorated inside and some tables on the balcony with street view to enjoy the warm nice Santa Monica sun.
I loved the kale salad and my 5 year old enjoyed the "Buffalo wings" so much...
We come here twice, but I wish I could go every day until I've tasted everything on the menu!

Pros: Delicious, Super Fast, Friendly staff

Chia
Chia

My family eats here often

5 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow when it first opened and have eaten here many times. Here's my The Veggie Grill review.

First came here in December 2010 when this Veggie Grill location had just opened. Last trip here was this week, September 2012.

What I like about the Veggie Grill is the consistency in the food taste. I can always expect good taste each time. The quality control is quite incredible. The owners have really streamlined all the Veggie Grill locations, which I believe is a major key to their success. Same decor, same menu, and good taste that's delivered consistently.

I especially like the sweet potato fries with the creamy dressing, the big fat onion rings with a creamy ranch sauce, the Santa Fe crispy chickn burger, and the tempeh burger (forgot the name). The batter fried chickn tenders/fingers are yummy, and the lemonade is very refreshing. Good cookies, too.

My daughter and I also went in for the kids burger meal launch. I got myself a Bali Bliss (blackened tempeh burger) and for her the kids burger menu -- the burger is the same patty as the VG burger patty but without all the fancy stuff, just pickles. I took out the pickles, and my little girl enjoy it. Kids menu come with choice of side (we got sweet potato fries), choice of cold drink, and a little cookie.

The food is highly addictive and be a bit decadent (fried stuff and sweet stuff), but that's why we like it. If you want to be good, then order the salads or the non-fried stuff.

The people here are doing an amazing job.

Pros: delicious, nice space, quick and friendly service
amaranth
amaranth

I wish they had Veggie Grill in Sydney!!

5 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2012

I LOVED this place, like LOVEDDDDDD. The burgers were amazing, the chilli cheese fries were TDF, omgosh I was so full every time I ate here but it was totaly worth it. I kept having the VG-cheeseburger but next time I will try something else. I'm drooling at the memory.

Pros: best burgers, great for non-veg too, Friendly staff
norcal girl
norcal girl

I'd move to so cal for this place alone!

4 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2012

soooo good! not what i was expecting! kind of an upscale decor but pretty laid back feel. the staff was very friendly and the food is GOOD! me and the person i went with shared out food and every thing other than the mac n cheese which was a little funky, was super good! made this vegan very happy! can't wait to go back!

Naan Cee
Naan Cee

KALE DELISH!

4 Posted on 02 / 09 / 2012

I had the kale salad with chikin and it was absolutely amazing! The colors in the salad were great. The chicken noodle soup was nothing spectacular, just reg soup. The free sample carrot cake got a thumbs up.

I've brought my boyfriend here twice already, and he likes it too.

Pros: fresh, tasty
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

fast food, as unhealthy as any other fastfood

2 Posted on 02 / 09 / 2012

I call this place compassionate fast food because only human animals get hurt. The only thing I've been able to modify on the menu is the Baja Salad, but I fear even the quinoa is made with rice bran oil... (Get w/o dressing, avo, tortillas for a heart healthy meal) the soups all have earth balance in them... i'll never be going back here again for a $9 plate of lettuce and papaya...

I finally went to this location after a movie last night since its open until 10pm. There is free parking in back and its still quite lively before close. There is outdoor seating, too. The staff is well trained and they definitley have a winning business model = ruin the health of your customers to get their money just like mcdonalds, burger king, wendy's (actually I can get a baked potato there) taco bell, etc.

Veggie grill, its what people want, but its not what they need... there is no reason for added fats in the soups...

Pros: clean hip decor, well run, nice employees
Cons: food is high in fat, no low fat items
bashdog
bashdog

ALL HAIL THE ALL HALE KALE!

5 Posted on 01 / 20 / 2012

If you can make raw kale taste this amazing, then you have sold me. After two years of just ordering the All Hail Kale with Blackened Tempeh I decided to was time to venture outside the realm of the dark leafy green. Santa Fe Crispy Chickin' out of this world. The Buffalo Wings with creamy ranch- BOMB! Nachos, Thai Chickin Salad, The Moroccan Lentil Soup... It's endless. Oh my newest craving The VG Cheeseburger Eldorado Style with sweetheart fries. I am completely addicted to this place--In the healthiest way possible. Thank you Veggie Grill for creating a place that I can enjoy as much as my meat eating friends! Keep it up!

Pros: excellent food, excellent service, consistently delcious
Cons: none in the bay area
smilingveggie
smilingveggie

Awesome fast food vegan restaurant

5 Posted on 12 / 17 / 2011

My first visit to the Veggie Grill in Santa Monica was last night and i thought it was awesome. Very simple menu and it was clear that great concern was taken with regards to quality (the cook burned my Bayou Chickin' but came out to explain why it was taking so long and offered me a free appetiser while i waited)

All the options looked appetising and i struggled to decide what to have! I want to go again and try something else as what i had was so delicious.

The only con i could agree with from previous reviews may be that they do seem to rely quite heavily on the 'fake meat' options. Not a problem for me really (although i love variation) but i had dragged along my carnivore boyfriend who really isn't keen on that sort of thing. He really enjoyed the chili and sweet potato fries though.

Overall - can't wait to go back again! Great service too and nice atmosphere

Pros: Great food, Great service
Cons: Lots of fake meat
estefinparis
estefinparis

Please expand to Europe!

5 Posted on 11 / 12 / 2011

Discovering the Veggie Grill was a revelation - a vegan fast food chain with great food, great service, great atmosphere... I only wish some day they decide to expand all the way to Europe! The mac and cheese, the kale, the sandwhiches... I would've love to try every item on the menu.

kait
kait

Divine Sandwiches

5 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2011

I had the Bayou Chicken sandwich and I can't stop thinking about how delicious it was. It was almost concerning how convincing the chicken taste/texture was. I had to go back and get the menu to confirm I was in fact NOT eating real meat. I would highly recommend this place :)

Guest
Guest

Great experience

5 Posted on 09 / 05 / 2011

I went to Veggie Grill for the first time and ordered the Santa Fe Crispy Chickin' sandwich. Not only did it arrive at the table quickly, I was blown away by its taste. The chickin' almost made me feel guilty (it tastes so real), and the southwestern spiced vegan mayo adds the perfect kick to top things off. I'll definitely be back here again soon.

Pros: Amazing sandwich, Fast service, Very clean restaurant
Thefreeganvegan
Thefreeganvegan

veggielicious

5 Posted on 03 / 23 / 2011

Love this restaurant. The veggie burger, chill out winds, sweet potato fries, and desserts are out of this world.

Pros: kids menu, parking, consistency
zaphod46
zaphod46

Fast and Easy

4 Posted on 03 / 21 / 2011

From the menu and prices, Veggie Grill looks like a slightly less expensive version of Native Foods (if that helps). There is a decent variety of soups, salads, and sandwiches (mainly burgers) in a clean, friendly space for a decent price ($40 for dinner for three, including appetizers). You order at the counter, take a number, and food is delivered to your table.

If you have any dietary restrictions, be sure to ask for their X-free menu. They've got a set of cards for gluten, soy, and nut allergies that tell you what items are free of that allergen and what items can be made free by requesting specific changes. This was awesome.

Pros: allergen-specific menu, moderate price, friendly
thetalkstops
thetalkstops

fast and easy

4 Posted on 02 / 21 / 2011

this place is nice because it's totally vegan. Even though they don't really advertise as all vegan, everything on the menu is. The outdoor dining is nice and the mac and cheese is pretty good.

The only thing I don't like is the heavy reliance on "fake" meats which are not really my style. However, the portobello sandwich and the bali style tempeh sandwich are great.

Pros: fast, outdoor dining
Cons: lots of fake meat
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

Another awesome location

5 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2011

I met up with a non-vegan friend who loves VG and wanted to check out this newer location which is as awesome as the others. The bonus at this location is the easy free parking behind the building. The decor is the same IKEA like style as the other ones. We arrived right at 11am when they opened and stayed a couple of hours to chat and the place really filled up for lunch! Very popular spot already. My friend almost always gets the Santa Fe crispy chicken on a bed of kale. She loves it! I got the All Hale Kale salad with blackened tempeh which I've had many times before. It's a fabulous salad. I also had a side of the mac and cheese. YUM! Although everything they serve is so delicious. If you've never been to VG before, what are you waiting for? :-)

Pros: fabulous vegan fast food, clean and modern, easy parking at this location
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

One of my favorite fast food vegan places.

5 Posted on 02 / 08 / 2011

What can I say? Veggie Grill is the BEST. If I could give them 10 cows I would. Every location I've been to is amazing. Generally VG's are located in a mall or shopping plaza, not this one, you can find this VG conveniently located off of Wilshire, street parking was easy to find.

So I ordered the All American Stack ... yum yum yum!!! I ended my meal with one of their fantastic chocolate chip cookies too. I can't wait go back! Veggie Grill is one of the best fast food vegan restaurants.

Dear Owner and Manager of The Veggie Grill - Santa Monica: