The Veggie Grill - Portland

Opened in May 2012. Casual all vegan cafe originating from Southern California. Offers a variety of veggie burgers and sandwiches, hot plates, plus salads, sweet potato fries, kids menu, and desserts. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, American, Fast food, Take-out, Catering
508 SW Taylor St (downtown)
Portland, Oregon 97204
503-841-6647

Open Sun-Thur 11am-9pm, Fri-Sat 11am-10pm.

First Review by crewumiami
Gsaltveit
Gsaltveit

Veggie Grill is awesome!

5 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2014

About six months ago I became vegan. Found Veggie Grill and it is my and my children's' favorite restaurant. We have been several times and each time the food is exceptional. Excellent flavors, interesting textures and beautifully presented. Thank you!,

Phil Papa
Phil Papa

Great Food That Whole Family Loves

5 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2014

Whenever we have visited Portland, we have visited Veggie Grill many times. Great options that even my sometimes picky kids love as well. Aside from the good food, the staff is extremely friendly.

Pros: Great Options, Friendly Staff, Central Location
Posi Britt
Posi Britt

What?

3 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2014

I was a bit confused by this place. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed it, but felt odd about it.
I always check menus online before I go somewhere new. This place seemed very commercially fast food like online and it put me off a bit. We were in a rush one night for dinner so we decided to check this place out.
The food was fresh and came out fast. The cashiers were helpful and knowledgeable about the food. I just didn't like the "McDonalds" feel of the restaurant, menus, and d├ęcor.
Our food was great. I got to try an interesting vegan seafood burger and my husband had vegan fish tacos for the first time. The kids menu item that we ordered for our son came with huge portions.
While the food was pretty decent, the rest of my experience made it hard for me to want to return. Maybe if I'm in a hurry again I'll try this place. I wouldn't actively seek it out though.

Pros: Decent prices, Good portion sizes, Interesting menu items
Cons: McDonalds feel, Good but not great

MiriamD
MiriamD

Excellent vegan options, friendly and fast service

5 Posted on 04 / 10 / 2014

We ate here on a short visit to Portland. The staff is very friendly and there are a lot of great vegan options. I had trouble deciding on what to have as it's been a long time since I had so many items to choose from. I chose the Bayou Chickn sandwich, which was great and doesn't have nearly as many calories as you would think for the size and flavor. My mom had an avocado salad, which was also great. We also enjoyed the root beer. The price is very reasonable and the location is clean. This is more of a fast food cafe than formal restaurant; it's great for lunch or dinner.
Updated from previous review on Thursday April 10, 2014

Pros: Vegan options, Service, Price
jjo
jjo

nice place, diverse menu options

4 Posted on 12 / 07 / 2013

Really good food in a nice atmosphere - otoh personally I don't like the meat/chicken taste-alike (there are several choices like this).

All you can drink tea/limonade beverages, for a single fee.

Food seems to be pre-prepared (very fresh nevertheless), so it's hard to get ingredient changes.

Pros: Vegan, yummy, Atmosphere, All-you-can-drink beverages
Cons: Pre-prepared
mcspringy
mcspringy

Vegan Paradise

5 Posted on 10 / 26 / 2013

Relatively inexpensive, delicious food with good variety, fast service, and a convenient downtown location. Essentially a vegan version of "UFood Grill" and other similar fast food-ish, healthy-option restaurants. The buffalo wings, fried "chickn'" sandwich, and sweet potato fries are great-- all food that's hard to find a vegan version of. The mashed cauliflower/potatoes and gravy are good, but not a perfect mashed potato imitation. The prices are slightly higher than the decor and front counter ordering would suggest, but the food was great and I would highly recommend it for a casual dinner.

Pros: delicious food, inexpensive, excellent & efficient service
justingross
justingross

Reliable and yummy vegan food.

5 Posted on 10 / 12 / 2013

I enjoy Veggie Grill. It was a great stop during a day of sightseeing in downtown Portland. I had the crispy chicken wrap with the coleslaw...I'm in love with their coleslaw.
Very clean and contemporary inside. Friendly staff. Great choice for a quick and delicious vegan meal.

ChickpeaDee
ChickpeaDee

Such a great place!

4 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2013

I dined here on my way back from Seattle. The menu was great. A variety of healthy fare as well as fried American diner style. The All Hail Kale salad was delicious as well as their Spicy Buffalo Wings with ranch dressing. Mac and cheese was tasty as well as their cookies. Pretty much everything was delicious. You can really put on the calories in this place or eat healthfully depending on your mood. Fantastic modern cafeteria style decor. They even have a self serve area for to go containers. I highly recommend this place if you want quick yummy food. My omni boyfriend really enjoyed this place too.

Pros: Tasty food, modern clean cafeteria atmosphere, quick and convenient
Cons: none
Akdouglas
Akdouglas

good, pricey

3 Posted on 08 / 26 / 2013

Portions feel a little small to me for the price. I like less rice and more veggies and beans.

vegetariangirl
vegetariangirl

fun fast food

5 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2013

Good value and tasty. The mock crab burger and faux crispy chicken were great. Nice juice and delicious cookie.

kimhester
kimhester

Splendid cuisine

5 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2013

Set in bustling downtown Portland, the Veggie Grill is a respite that caters to those with discrimating tastes. With a large and varied menu that is pure vegan, there is much to choose from. I had chickn tacos which were tasty and healthy. The staff are a cut above other establishments in their friendly service. I hope to return in my future trips into Portland.

Pros: Large menu, Well prepared dishes, Great service
heyheyrenee
heyheyrenee

Loved this Place

5 Posted on 07 / 09 / 2013

My first question to the staff was "What items on the menu are vegan?" I was blown away when she said everything was vegan. Hallelujah! I had the Chik'n tacos and they were delicious. I also had a side of cauliflower with gravy and I loved it. I could eat just that as my main course and been very happy. I also had a bite of the pudding and the carrot cake. Both were fabulous. Vegan food fast and the price is right. Don't miss it.

Stevie
Stevie

The Veggie Grill, Portland

5 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2013

I have little to say as I broadly agree with the comments of other reviewers.

Pros: All vegan, reasonably priced
Cons: No wifi
CondaliciaEutsler
CondaliciaEutsler
  • raw

Veggie Grill

5 Posted on 02 / 08 / 2013

LOVED the food at veggie grill. The atmosphere was great too. I liked the fact that it's all vegan and that they use less oil then most places.

Pros: Fantastic tasting food, Friendly, clean
Cons: Not close enough to my house, need live foods
vegan lite
vegan lite

LOVE LOVE LOVE

5 Posted on 12 / 06 / 2012

Greatest food ever. Crispy chicken, cookie, bbq tofu, mac n cheeze, mousse, carrot cake, mashed potatoes. Clean awesome decor. Staff all friendly n cheery. Love love love. Its worth a drive. Also kale salad wasnt bad for someone who loathes kale.

Pros: love, love, love
Cons: none
Lettuce Muncher
Lettuce Muncher

Veggie Yum!

5 Posted on 11 / 03 / 2012

I've been to this place twice since it opened, and was very happy each time. The first time we had the V-Burger and Santa Fe Crispy chicken. I thought the V-burger was way too meat like, but my newly vegetarian husband thought it was amazing. The crispy chicken was quite tasty, and although deep fried, was not greasy. We upgraded to onion rings, which were amazing and the first non homemade onion rings I have had since going vegan over a decade ago. We had the chocolate parfait for dessert and it was awesome. My 9 month old made a huge mess, but when I asked for a broom, no employee would give me one, instead claiming it happens all the time and that is what they get paid for. I was very impressed with the atmosphere and service.
This time we ordered the Pappa's Portabello and the Buffalo Bomber. Both were amazing. My husband is not a mushroom fan but he loved the burger. The Bomber is not too spicy. We subbed for onion rings again, and with one drink the meal was $25.00 with no leftovers. They were again nice to my baby and the atmosphere was nice, but cold.
If you sign up on their website for the GrillClub you can get a free dessert (do this right before you go as it expires quickly).
I don't ever eat fast food, so it can be a bit overwhelming eating so much grease but my husband LOVES this place and I enjoy it. Will definitely be returning.

Pros: Great Service, Onion Rings, Kid Friendly
Cons: High cost for upgrades, Air Conditioning, brrrr, Parallel street parking
blisssu
blisssu

Fresh, Friendly & Vegan

5 Posted on 10 / 09 / 2012

My husband and I eat at the friendly, informal Veggie Grill often, since it serves excellent vegan food and was nice enough to open in our neighborhood. At lunchtime, it attracts people from nearby offices, and some of them may not realize they're eating vegan--the food sounds that familiar and tastes that good. The decor is simple and cheerful, giving the impression of a nice fast-food place, but that's where the similarity to McD's or any of the others ends. Meals at Veggie Grill are made of fresh, plant-based ingredients and completely free of cholesterol, animal fat and trans fat. The chefs at this California-based chain have developed great recipes for an array of veggie proteins--no-meat chickin' (including blackened chickin' and buffalo wings) and veggie-steak in various forms, from burgers to barbecue. Today, I noticed a "crab" cake sandwich on the menu. And if you're hankering for the cheese you no longer eat, VG's plant-based cheeses and creamy sauces are as good as any I've had. I love the kale they serve on many of the plates, sandwiches and salads. It is uniformly tender, bright green and flavorful. There's a small selection of soups and desserts too.

Pros: All Vegan, High Quality, Reasonably Priced
chickpeafreak
chickpeafreak

Fantastic!

5 Posted on 09 / 02 / 2012

First impression was how light and airy the place felt--very pleasant. Staff were incredibly nice and friendly. Food came out quickly--we ordered the All Hail Kale and B-Wing Salads, with a side order of Sweetheart Fries. All were outstanding! Even if you think you don't like kale, you'll love the All Hail Kale salad--it's that good. The B-Wing salad did have a nice little kick to the B-Wings, but nothing that couldn't be handled by anyone. The sweet potato fries were delicious--came with a chipotle dressing which was wonderful.
All servings were big, so unfortunately we didn't go for the desserts, but we did get to see the chocolate parfait, and only wished we had the room! Next visit...

Pros: Excellent food, Healthy, Bright and friendly
Cons: --, --, --
CLRtraveller
CLRtraveller

tasty food

4 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2012

At corner of SW Taylor St. and SW 5th Ave. Soup, salads, chili. Can have sandwiches and burgers on a bed of steamed kale or in a wheat tortilla rather than the wheat bun. Chickin' and Veggie-steak: seasoned and marinated veggie proteins, made with soy and wheat that are organic and non-GMO. Also tempeh. I had Bayou Chickin' on a bed of steamed kale, $8.95, and upgraded to Sweetheart Fries with chipotle ranch for $2.25. The fries are sweet potatoes (yams to Canadians). I liked the blackened aspect of the faux meat, knowing it was done on a vegan grill.
Three desserts: chocolate chip cookie, chocolate pudding parfait, carrot cake.

Pros: tasty food, all vegan, friendly service
Cons: faux meat isn't to everyone's taste
kippit
kippit

AMAZING

5 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2012

The food was outstanding. I was there for a week and I had most of my meals there. On top of the GREAT quality of the food, the staff was AWESOME and very VERY friendly and helpful. You must go to this place and have some healthy, tasty food and GREAT service!

Ajolote
Ajolote

Tasty, affordable food downtown

5 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2012

The staff here is very friendly. We were greeted with chicken wing samples that were absolutely delicious. We order a plate, of couse and they came with a blue cheese dip. Bonus!

No sooner we sat down, the waitress came to bring us our wings, a papas portobello burger (with aioli and garlic) and a big kale salad that we could not finish. the food was a little on the greasy side, but pretty tasty.

Somebody from the staff came to ask us how we liked the food amd after a quick chat he gave us two complimentary pieces of carrot cake. Yums!

There are apparently a bunch of these restaurants in Southern California and three more in Oregon, and they are opening one more in San Jose next week.

Highly recommended!

Pros: Decoration, Friendliness, Location
Cons: Greasy
  • Ajolote Ajolote

I have to post a response/follow up to my own comment. I went back to Veggie Grill today and ordered a cup of chilli and the urban plate? Neither onw of them was greasy and they were both very tasty. Great food!

katypine
katypine

Great For Families

5 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2012

I have been to this Veggie Grill once, with my family of five. The kids were very satisfied with the kids menu items, and I was very satisfied with the variety and quality of adult food, too. I particularly loved that I could order my "sandwich" on a bed of kale instead of a bun, since I'm not such a huge fan of lots of gluten and carbs. The drink choices were awesome, too, offering a couple kind of lemonades and a few different iced teas. Finally I don't have to have the "soda or not" conversation with the kids. The lemonades were delicious and easy enough to add a little water so the kids weren't overwhelmed with sugar. The atmosphere was really great for my family, too; the staff was kind and attentive and I felt my kids were welcome, but it wasn't a crazy screamy free-for-all like some kid-friendly restaurants.

Pros: kid-friendly, tasty, lots of greens!
Cons: over-air-conditioned
crewumiami
crewumiami

REFRESHING

5 Posted on 06 / 03 / 2012

When visiting a new place, I always make it a point to find vegan places and this was a place I have gone to twice now and the food is great. The spring salad mix, was by far the best salad I have eaten. The wings are tasty and fulfilling and cant get enough. The carrot cake, was a bit small, but so moist and tasty that it makes up for it!!! The staff is just amazing and they make it a point to explain the menu if you have never been. I will trying out some other items before I leave...but this is a must go to place!!

Pros: great value, great staff, healthy

Dear Owner and Manager of The Veggie Grill - Portland: