The Veggie Grill - El Segundo

Vegan fast food cafe chain restaurant offering a variety of original veggie burgers and sandwiches, hot plates, plus salads, sweet potato fries, kids menu, and desserts. This is their 3rd location. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, American, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Catering
720 Allied Way (by Whole Foods Market)
El Segundo, California 90245
310-535-0025

Open Mon-Sun 11am-10pm.

First Review by vegandiver
FlaxenGirl1978
FlaxenGirl1978

Veggie Grill is great!

5 Posted on 11 / 15 / 2013

As a new vegan, this restaurant is one of my favorites, since it's filled with familiar choices, like burgers, than have been veganized : ) The meat substitutes have a nice flavor & texture, and have a chargrilled taste that left my meat-eating husband saying he liked the dish, and would have it again! Another plus, everything offered here is 100% vegan, even the wonderful desserts, so no rooting through the menu for eggs or dairy, or the need to modify what I order!

Pros: Tasty Vegan Comfort Food, Amazing Desserts, Outstanding Meat Substitutes
vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

Great food

5 Posted on 02 / 20 / 2013

I've been to the original location in Irvine, also, but this one was new since the last time I was in LA. Amazing food, decent prices, good service. So many options, so little time.

Pros: All vegan, Fast service, Fair prices
Cons: Too little time to try them all
Danie
Danie

awesome comfort food

5 Posted on 02 / 18 / 2013

too good to be true, i just love love love their cheese burger + sweetheart fries! and their buffalo wings as well!

Pros: awesome vegan comfort food, friendly staff, affordable
Nlalic
Nlalic

Vegan lunch hot spot

5 Posted on 10 / 14 / 2012

This all vegan restaurant serves a mix of sandwiches, burgers and salads, all delicious. My go to is the cajun burger, and the sweet potato fries are a must.

Pros: All vegan, Fast, Delicious
Cons: Crowded at lunch
Chia
Chia

Tasty Vegan Fast Food

5 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow when it first opened and have eaten here many times. Here's my The Veggie Grill review.

The food here is always consistent, and that's impressive. It's basically vegan fast food that tastes great and is colorfully presented. The space is very comfortable and modern. Surprising most of their customers are meat eaters who like this food.

I've had most items on the menu, and my favorite is the santa fe chickn sandwich (fried chickn fillet). I also like the chix caesar wrap, bali bliss burger, their veggie burger, sweet potato fries, and the agave sweetened lemonade. But everything is tasty.

The bali bliss burger is their door-buster, at only around $7 or so. Add a couple dollars and you can sub for a side of fries. Yum.

burritomath
burritomath

vegan carne asada!

5 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2012

I flew into LA, and asked a friend to meet for dinner. They asked where, and I basically said somewhere not far from the airport and not to far for him, and somewhere veg friendly. He found this place just a few minutes from both.

Knowing nothing about the place, I had to ask the person taking the orders about vegan options, and he politely said, "Everything is plant based." Carna asada sandwiches with vegan mayo were ordered all around. The food came out quickly, and wow, surpassed all expectations. We joked about how this is what I would expect from LA. Find a place 10 minutes away that was both vegan and amazing, just like that. The sweet potato fries were also very good. The food was definitely fast food like, but the quality was so much better. Of course the price did reflect this a bit. Something to consider though, I didn't eat anywhere else in LA, so the prices might be perfectly reasonable.

The staff didn't even rush us out as we caught up, even though it was clear that they were closing and getting ready to leave.

Pros: location, friendly staff, tasty beer
Cons: far away, hard to go back to
The Veggie Cook
The Veggie Cook

Delicious

5 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2012

Okay, so it's more like fast food with the fries and burgers and all - BUT it's the tastiest fast food we've ever had! After hearing about it from Happy Cow, my friend and I just got in our car and went. They had just opened, and the young wait staff were so friendly and eager to help.

You can actually order more healthy stuff from the menu as well. It's a concise menu, with enough variety to keep everything interesting.

We had some really yummy chicken pieces with BBQ sauce, the Sante Fe chicken sandwich, sweet potato fries, and lemondade.

Pros: tasty, friendly, cool space
Cons: can get too decadent
catercow
catercow

Delicious!

5 Posted on 03 / 19 / 2012

My boyfriend (carnivore) and I (vegan) went here for lunch before going to LAX. We were both pleasantly surprised at how AWESOME the food was. I ordered mac and cheese (first time I have been able to eat this dish since becoming vegan) and a cup of the gumbo, which was the soup of the day. My boyfriend, who is very suspicious of fake meat, ordered the buffalo wings and he loved them!

I even got a vegan chocolate chip cookie (something I had never tried before) to eat later at the airport and it was wonderful! Overall, a great pick for vegans and carnivores alike!

Pros: great food, wonderful choice for all diets, friendly service
LolaBunnyy92
LolaBunnyy92

Y-U-M

5 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2011

This place is absolutely divine! I dragged my dad along and he was, at first, not too thrilled about the idea of eating "fake food," but after just a few bites he told me he thought he had found a new favorite restaurant! He's completely non-veg, but he tells all his friends The Veggie Grill has the best burger in town. And he's right! All of their food is so yummy it should be illegal.
This place convert just about anyone.

Pros: tons of variety, friendly environment, healthy!!!
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Veggie Grill!!!

5 Posted on 04 / 17 / 2011

Veggie Grill never disappoints! Even if you're not vegan, everyone loves it! So I ordered the V-Burger which consists of a marinated veggie steak burger with pickles, lettuce, tomato, and their fantastic chipotle ranch dressing. My burger was so juicy that it was actually dripping onto my plate...so long dry veggie burgers!!! The chipotle ranch dressing was to die for as well, it was pretty hard for me resist ordering extra (to keep calories down). My friend ordered a chicken burger and was awestruck by it as well. I (and my non-vegan friend) highly recommend VG!!!!

Jeffrey
Jeffrey

Scrumptious

5 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2010

Before going to the Veggie Grill, I had no idea that this kind of restaurant even existed. If you are looking for a fast-food style restaurant that actually serves quality meals at reasonable prices, your search is over. I try to stay away from fried things, so I ordered the grillin' chickin sandwich with a side of steamed kale. The "chickin" inside was like nothing I'd ever eaten before. It was really, really good and healthy too. My wife got the Santa Fe Crispy chickin', and it was also great. You can order a drink, and just help yourself to self-serve refills. This is definately the place to go for a quick meal that won't bust your gut (if you choose the healthy menu options!).

Pros: good value, Yummy Food, Quality ingredients
y528s
y528s

Nice dining experience

4 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2010

This place is nice, feels like a fast food place, and the sweet potato fries are amazing. I liked our meal, but if I was in the neighborhood, I'd consider trying other places again before rushing back, the menu isn't that extensive and I feel like I've tried it all.

Pros: Sweet Potato Fries, Flavor, Atmosphere
Cons: Limited Menu
LW
LW

My favorite place in the South Bay

5 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2010

You can't ask for a better place than Veggie Grill in El Segundo! You can sit outside on the patio, get organic beer, eat vegan and even bring your pooch along. The carrot cake is the best I've ever had. Afterwards, you've got one of the biggest Whole Foods right there! I cannot go a month w/o a Veggie Grill fix!

Pros: Patio, Beer/Wine, location
pgnlvr22b
pgnlvr22b

Amazing

5 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2010

The first time I tried this place it was for my birthday with 2 non-veg friends, we all enjoyed it...I had the Bayou Chickin' with the sweetheart fries, the sandwitch was spicy and smokey and delicious, the fries were amazing and the dipping sauce even better. My meat loving friends enjoyed the Carne Asada and barley soup. The second time was for my Mom's birthday, it was so good the first time she just had to try it, being my mom she also had the bayou chickin', this time I tried the santa fe crispy chickin, also very good though I would suggest the Bayou if you prefer spice, which I do. all in all amazing food, friendly, attentive staff, and the peach ice tea is AMAZING!!! and refills are free...I can't wait to try the new west hollywood location as it is closer to my house and they have expanded the menu since I was last there, am looking forward to trying everything they offer

Pros: Amazing Food, Friendly Staff, Great Value
HelloPanda
HelloPanda

awesomely great

5 Posted on 03 / 06 / 2010

I have only been to the veggie grill once but my sister is vegan and she goes there almost every day. Its fast food in a restaurant setting. Their food tastes as good as it looks and they have awesome sweet potato fries. Their cookies are also very yummy. They have great burgers that are way better than anything McDonalds can come up with. They have reasonable pricing. You can get your food to go or you can eat there. If you eat there you pick your own seating, they deliver the food to your table and pick up anything your done with. If I had the money I would go there almost every day!

Pros: friendly staff, great food, great environment
Cons: variety
juliotnunes
juliotnunes

The veggie grill

5 Posted on 12 / 25 / 2009

Everything is vegan and a variety of delicious items to chose from. Definitely going back again. The items I tried were the V-burger, nachos,sweet potatoes fries, and the raspberry tea.

Pros: Many items to chose from, Friendly staff, 100% vegan
animal friend
animal friend

Veggie Grill

4 Posted on 09 / 29 / 2009

I love the food at the Veggie Grill. Every single thing on the menu is delicious! My favorites are the All Hail Kale Salad, the Bayou Chicken Sandwich (wonderfully spicy), and the Chili. The cookies and the carrot cake are the two best vegan desserts I have ever tasted! Even better, the portions were huge.

This brings me to my only complaint about this restaurant. What happened to the portion size? In the last couple of months they have shrunk to about half their former size, or even smaller!
I usually don't mind paying $9.00 for a salad, but my last to-go order of Kale salad did not even cover the entire bottom of the box!. The container of dressing stood in the corner, and the salad ingredients barely touched it. A side order of sweet potato fries on my last visit contained on 9 fries! At over $2.00 to upgrade to the Sweetheart fries, those had better be some darn good fries!
So owners, please do us all a favor and make your portions a little larger. Many of my friends will not even come with me to eat at your restaurant, anymore.
They love your food, but feel that the new portion sizes just don't make it worth the money.
Also, the staff seems really stressed recently. They used to be so welcoming and friendly, now they all seem scared. It could be due to the guests yelling at them about the amount of food they are getting for the price they are paying. On my last visit, the young lady working the tables had to deal with three separate parties berating her over portion size. She handled it with incredible grace, but I felt for her.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly efficient staff
Cons: Tiny portions
Petesternz
Petesternz

YUM!!!

5 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2009

What can I say but yum yum yum yum yum!!!!! I only wish I had this restaurant where I live, or anywhere close, it was that good. I loved everything about it. My wife and I ordered two burgers, and argued over which was best. I loved the shredded meat Chipotle, but my wife's Chili Chicken was so tender it made us feel a little guilty. The sweet potato fries are unbelievably good, and the steamed kale was yummy. We even enjoyed the lovely chocolate chip cookie. Friendly staff topped it off. DO NOT MISS THIS PLACE!!!!

Pros: everything
Cons: nothing
George85
George85

Excellent Restaurant!

5 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2009

I was in LA for the Animal Rights Conference and found this restaurant a couple miles from my hotel. A bunch of us decided it would be a great place to eat and talk. Boy are we glad we decided to go here. The food is absolutely amazing! It was so good that we ended up eating here 3 times in the week we were in LA. I do not think there is any one item I could think of to recommend, since everything I tried was excellent! I would recommended getting the sweet fries with your meal. The *mock* meat chicken looks and tastes so much like real chicken that I think a meat-eater would think it was real as well (thank God it isn't though!). If mock meats are something you stray away from, there are plenty of other things to try as well. It looks like they serve beer/wine, but we hadn't had a chance to try them out.

In all, The Veggie Grill is a great place to go to for great food and an awesome atmosphere. I can not wait to have a Veggie Grill on the east coast sometime soon! :)

Pros: Food, Fun, Atmosphere
Cons: Addicting! :)
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

Vegan Fast Food!

5 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2009

We try to go to Veggie Grill every time we depart or arrive at LAX. We are often there right before they close at 10pm! Everything is awesome. Chickin', Carne Asada, BBQ...take your pick. And the sweet potato fries! The dipping sauce is terrific. They told us by email that their next location is on Sunset - the old Virgin Center - in Fall. I can't wait as it'll be SO much closer to me now! Watch out!

Pros: vegan fast food, near LAX for trips, easy parking
nardanddee
nardanddee

Can't Get Enough!

5 Posted on 06 / 26 / 2009

I went there for dinner two days in a row. The first night I had the carne asada, sweetheart fries and a chocolate chip and walnut cookie. Last night I didn't think I was going to make it because I was at UCLA hospital all evening. But I made it there after paying my respects and ordered the 'all hail kale' salad w/ blackened 'chicken' and of course some more sweetheart fries. Absolutely delicious! This is my new go-to place when I have to come to LA for work. The staff is friendly...not always on their game (the first night my order sat for 25 minutes w/o anyone telling me my to-go order was ready), but friendly.

Pros: EXCELLENT food, great prices, staff full of smiles
Cons: may not find Allied Way with GPS, need to stay on top of your order, no restaurants in my home state
lisandrew1999
lisandrew1999

Dessert was wonderful

4 Posted on 06 / 21 / 2009

My husband and I only had a quick minute for some dessert and figured we would check this place out....it was worth it. The carrot cake that we had was THE BEST! Very moist and the frosting was so delicious that I can't wait to go back to California and visit this place again.

Pros: Pleasant staff, Quick, Delicious
skymonkey
skymonkey

great fast food

5 Posted on 01 / 14 / 2009

veggie grill is a modern and clean vegan fast food restaurant. the menu is not extensive. i would not exactly call it healthy food, but it is very good. it's a great place to grab a quick bite. i agree with the previous posts: bring your non-veg friends. this is a place everyone would enjoy. i sincerely hope that the restaurant would be able to open stores across the nation in the future.

LFL
LFL

Veggie Grill is great!

5 Posted on 11 / 18 / 2008

Veggie Grill is a fun place to eat if you're not looking for a fancy atmosphere. For vegetarian fast food, I think it's as good as it gets. I recommend the Santa Fe Crispy Chickin', the Carne Asada, the Grillin' Chickin', and Papa's Portobello, all of which I like to get with the Spring Mix Salad. I love their carrot cake, which is moist and has a creamy frosting with just the right amount of sweetness. Mmm.
Veggie Grill is also affordable for LA. Dinner for two usually costs us $30 to $35. And since everything on the menu is vegan, we don't have to ask a lot of questions to figure out what we can eat there.

Pros: Delicious, Affordable, Clean
Cons: Fast food setting
condekedar
condekedar

Crowd-pleasing vegan wonderfulness!

5 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2008

I took two colleagues to The Veggie Grill (one is semi-vegetarian and the other is non-veg) and both of them loved it. The prices are reasonable for the quality and quantity of food offered (BIG sandwiches).

My Santa Fe Crispy Chickin sandwich was delicious---excellent textures, flavors and fresh ingredients. The Chill Out Wings were also breaded little marvels. One colleague's V-Burger had an excellent meaty texture and the other colleague's carne asada was straight out of Mexico, it seemed.

We also enjoyed our carrot cake and vegan pumpkin cheesecake, which were refreshing and not too sweet, though also rich and creamy.

Service was fast and friendly and the decor is modern, bright and inviting. The place gets packed around lunch time, so make sure to go early or late, as otherwise there will be a line to get in!

Pros: Quality, Concept, Taste
Cons: Can get crowded/busy
val
val

Awesome Vegan Food!

5 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2008

The food at the Veggie Grill is unbelievably amazing! I've had the Crispy Santa Fe Chicken and the Bali Burger (tempeh). Although I've been to The Veggie Grill on numerous ocassions, I keep ordering the Crispy Santa Fe chicken because it's so good! Their sweet potato fries are great too, and it goes with a wonderful sauce. Yummy! Service is always friendly, and they have great vegan desserts as well. It's the BEST place to take a carnivore to. I got 2 meals for my realtor and her son, and they loved it. She said (and I quote) "if fake chicken can taste this good, I can stop eating real chicken".

Pros: Great food, Good prices, Service with a smile
Cons: Why can't they stay open 24/7 ?, NONE, NONE
jlautner
jlautner

Beautifully designed, excellent food

5 Posted on 05 / 31 / 2008

The whole concept for the Veggie Grill is well-thought-out, from the logo to the restaurant decorating and type service to the website and food and wine choices. Food is imaginative and delicious.

Entirely vegan, the food is familiar, comfortable, like a healthy fast food. The wine choices allow customers to take it up a notch, however.

This restaurant would go well in many major cities and some smaller ones. Nothing has been forgotten.

Pros: excellent food, healthy choices, clean, well-designed restaurant
Cons: not enough of them!
ElaineVigneault
ElaineVigneault

Fantastic!

5 Posted on 05 / 31 / 2008

Loved it! This place is great. It's a vegan fast food place. They serve burgers and sandwiches, veggies and desserts. They also have wine. I tried the Save The Chicken strips and a side of kale and a piece of carrot cake. Excellent! I'll be back next time I'm in LA.

Pros: quick and cheap, tasty food that will appeal to a variety, clean and friendly
Cons: there aren't others elsewhere
  • ElaineVigneault ElaineVigneault

I made a mistake. I order the "chill out wings".

gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Really raises the bar on Veggie Faster Food

5 Posted on 05 / 27 / 2008

The solid 5 star reviews should pretty much tip you off that this place is a winner. It is SOOOOO close (straight shot up Sep.blvd) to LAX that anyone heading to the airport would be foolish not to plan their last meal here before a non veg friendly departure! Just to repeat from below - super friendly staff - super cool layout - mouth watering food! WINE&BEER!!! I tried the Island Sandwich based on one of the reviews below. It was so good! Definitely out of the norm from what I'd order but I felt adventurous. The Fries are a big hit, but the coleslaw that comes with the sandwiches is really good, too if you don't want to pay the $1.95 to upgrade to fries. Carrot Cake is one of the best I've ever had. Basically you are super lucky if you live nearby here. Parking is a breeze. Its near Whole Foods in a large commercial development that is easy to navigate, just keep driving toward the back past Whole Foods and you'll see it across the way in another grouping of places.

Pros: fast, hip, yummy
button
button

Awesome!

5 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2008

This is a very cool little fast food-ish place. They have a nice clean contemporary feel and a fair amount of outdoor seating. The staff we're very friendly and helpful and seemed to enjoy what they were doing. They have a pretty diverse menu and all the things we tried were delicious! A great place to stop on your way to or from LAX!

Pros: clean, delicious, outdoor patio
marla5575
marla5575

Impressive!

5 Posted on 03 / 05 / 2008

i really liked this place a lot! my husband had the bbq sandwich and i had the chef's salad. really fresh, tasty food. the sweet potato fries are awesome!

Pros: good food, friendly service
autumn83
autumn83

vegan family friendly

5 Posted on 01 / 31 / 2008

My husband and I ate at the veggie grill a couple of days ago and I must say that it was mighty tastey. Surprisngly enough what impressed us the most was not the food, but all of the tableroom and seating avaible. It's a great place to take younger children and not feel uncomfortable or cramped. We had our 1 year old daughter with us when we went and she enjoyed the childrens meal. A+! Also I loved that they do not offer any soft drinks at this joint.

Pros: friendly service, lots of seating, good food
Cons: menu options are few
Janelle
Janelle

Excellent!

5 Posted on 01 / 25 / 2008

So good, oh my gosh, the food is delicious!! I've been there twice already and it's only been open 2 days! My favorite so far is Papa's Portobello burger! The staff is friendly, so helpful and the restaurant is right near my house so I'm afraid I'm a regular already! Yummy!

Cons:
vegandiver
vegandiver

Amazing Food

5 Posted on 01 / 24 / 2008

I was the second customer on their grand opening. The food was great, the service was top notch. I would certainly recommend going there. I'll be going for lunch a lot now because its right next to my work! :-)

Pros: Excellent Food, Fast service, Great Service
Cons: Small menu, Cramped seating area

Dear Owner and Manager of The Veggie Grill - El Segundo: