The Vegetarian's Paradise

Veggie restaurant featuring all-you-can-eat Indian buffet for lunch and dinner. It's a short walk from the Russell Square underground station. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Indian, Buffet

Veganswife
Veganswife

Good but not sensational

3 Posted on 09 / 02 / 2014

Bloomsbury is a rich environment for vegetarians. Most Indian restaurants will offer arrange of vegan options, so this one has stiff competition. It's strength is that everything is vegetarian, if not vegan, and it's lunchtime buffet is very cheap and good value. The food in the buffet is food, but not sensational.

Pros: Price, location, All vegetarian
Cons: competition from better local vege cafés
Hummelelfe
Hummelelfe

Cheap all you can eat buffet

4 Posted on 10 / 03 / 2013

I went there for the lunch buffet when I was in London in September. The staff was very friendly and the food was very nice, if a little spicy (but that is not a real surprise considering that it was Indian food). You can eat as much as you like for only 4.95, which is really really cheap. Unfortunately, the place looks a little shabby and the choice of dishes is rather limited. Nevertheless, it is a good place for a nice Indian dinner for very little money.

Pros: great value , tasty food
Cons: a little shabby, limited choice of dishes
Miggi
Miggi

Cheap all you can eat place

3 Posted on 04 / 30 / 2013

Directly opposite Alara Wholefoods, I wouldn't describe this as a "paradise" but it is a cheap Indian Buffet for central London. There is a fairly limited selection, and the dahl (usually one of my favorites at any Indian place) was very watery, but the rest of the options were quite tasty.
Everything bar 2 of the dips were vegan.
In future I would probably walk the 10 mins to one of the places in Drummond St in preference, but if I had limited time I'd give here another try.

Pros: Cheap, Almost all vegan
Cons: limited selection

nigeltart
nigeltart

Great value but nothing special

3 Posted on 07 / 09 / 2012

Cheap buffet restaurant. Food ok but nothing special.

Drummond St (several Indian veggie restaurants) is only 5 mins away, just the other side of Euston station. I won't be coming here again.

Pros: Amazing value, Decent food
Cons: Mediocre, A bit shabby
beitme
beitme

Worth a visit every now and then

3 Posted on 12 / 26 / 2010

The food is inexpensively priced for either eating-in or taking-out. I've only chosen the latter thus far; it's a good bargain if you don't mind finding a place elsewhere to sit down and eat. Tastes good, though it is a bit greasy. They're open late which can be quite nice for those last minute occasions.

Pros: good value, open late
jollypig
jollypig

Great food and soooooo cheap

5 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2010

I went for the buffet both times I've been there. It's only £4.95 for lunch and £5.95 for dinner. The food was great and amazing value. It's a bit of a cafe-type place and not the most up-market, but it's clean and has a nice atmosphere. Go there!

Pros: Tasty food, Great value, Buffet or menu option
Joloco
Joloco

Not impressed

2 Posted on 03 / 06 / 2010

"The Vegetarians Paradise"? That's a little optimistic!

From outside, we weren't sure whether to go in - the decor looked tired and old - but we thought we'd give it a go anyway. Unfortunately our first impressions were proved right! The paper tablecloth on our table was dirty, the menus looked grubby and the tableware wasn't as clean as you'd like it to be.

The whole place could do with some renewal - the walls were chipped and marked and the radiator behind us was filthy! The waiter was helpful but not particularly friendly, and often seemed distracted as he was the only member of staff present for most of our visit.

The range of food was pretty good, and the mains are small and cheap so you can get more than one per person and share them, which is nice. The food itself was mostly good - nice starter, good naan breads, a decent sag aloo, and lovely mushroom bhajee. The tarka daal was watery and bland though. Good range of drinks on offer, and reasonably priced too. (No alcohol license, however.)

Overall, this could be a very good veggie curry place if the owners took some pride in it, but there's much better all over London and I can't recommend Vegetarians Paradise over any of them.

Pros: Cheap, Reasonable food
Cons: Lacklustre service, Tired décor, Cleanliness
Jemima
Jemima

Nice little restaurant

5 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2010

From Russell Square station, go straight down Marchmont St in front of you until you reach the restaurant which is on the left side of the road.
The restaurant is decorated in cottagely Western style with checked tablecloths on the small tables. There is a bar on one side for drinks which is something you see in many Indian restaurants.
It was very quiet when we went, with only one other couple there. Probably because it was new years day.

It was an all you can eat buffet for lunch. This included appetizers such as pappadams and other fried items, about four curries and rice and naan as well as dhal and some other dishes and some Indian sweets. There were also relishes and chutneys.
It was decent, if not quite absolute the best I've ever had. There were some very nice sweets and it is the biggest range I have seen at an Indian restaurant so far, about 4 or 5 different kinds. Check whether these are vegan though, they may not be.

There was one person on the floor and he was friendly and quite casual, chatting to us about a few things before leaving us to ourselves to eat lunch. He let everyone know before he packed up the buffet to give us an opportunity to get another helping if we wanted.

It was just over GBP5 for the all you can eat lunch. Very good value.

If Bhel Poori House at Angel is the budget buffet and Rani is the deluxe this one fits in the middle and would probably be my choice of place to go most often if I had to choose.

Pros: great value, convenient location, pleasant space
tablemoonspoons
tablemoonspoons

a good local bet

3 Posted on 01 / 30 / 2008

so there are no other reviews for here at the moment. i only went here once and it was a while ago. its not worth to travel to get here, but i remember it being okay and if your in the neighborhood its a good bet to check it out.

Dear Owner and Manager of The Vegetarian's Paradise: