Breezy, comfortable, and friendly restaurant serving wholesome Asian and Western cuisine with all natural, healthy, and fresh vegetarian ingredients. The price range is from US$1.50-$4.00. Moved from Street 200 in Aug 2012 and have merged with The Treez Recipe which is now also The Vegetarian. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, Asian, Western, Juice bar, Fast food, Take-out

Kiko
Kiko

Exceptional

Posted on 12 / 11 / 2014

Exceptional & Excellent! During my trip here and I'll never miss out this place. The best vegetarian in town. They are located just near to street 240 and very easy to find. It's just behind the Wat Botum temple and is opposite the Villa Borann hotel at Street 19. They are serving varieties of republic foods such as Cambodian, Thai, Indian, Western, Chinese etc. Overall food are delicious and tempting. I love most the spaghetti, pumpkin soup, tom yam, amok, wraps, salad, ice cream & fresh fruits juice. Atmosphere is graceful, peaceful, relaxing, clean and full of trees surrounding. Price is inexpensive and staff are very friendly. Overall is excellent and is the best I had in Phnom Penh so far.

medus
medus

Grumpy staff

Posted on 12 / 06 / 2014

First of all, the Vegetarian has a very nice garden and is an ideal place to relax from exploring Phnom Penh. However, the atmosphere was partially ruined by a grumpy waitress. She was not happy to see us at all, didn't explain the menu properly, and even seemed to be angry when we asked whether we can pay with Cambodian money instead of USD.

Although the food was OK, I can only give this place two stars for such a poor hospitality.
Updated from previous review on Saturday December 06, 2014

Cons: grumpy staff
Korinajane
Korinajane

Lots of Choice

Posted on 11 / 26 / 2014

A beautiful little place with a varied menu at a reasonable price. Lots of actual veggies rather than fake meats.

PriChee
PriChee

great food, closes too early

Posted on 11 / 20 / 2014

Must go if you are veggie, and a definite try even if you are not. Coz the food is pretty amazing. Quality is amazing and the flavours are just to die for!!

Pros: outside sitting, huge range of dishes, quick service
Cons: closes at 8:30, don't have soda
Syabas
Syabas

Simple & nice

Posted on 09 / 03 / 2014

During my holiday here. I tried many vegetarian restaurants and this is No.1 that I love most. Clean & comfort, relaxing environment, lot of greenery tree, good location, friendly staff, inexpensive, variety of food choices and most important is very tempting, delicious, simple, fresh, natural, nice & fantastic even without MSG too. If you aimed for artificial mock meat, strong taste(MSG) and non vegetarian food, then this is not your choice. They have many food varieties such as Cambodian Amok, Lok Lak, Thai Mango salad, Tom Yam, Vietnamese Pho, Indian samosa, Japanese Tempura, Udon, Spaghetti, Mexico wrap, Italian salad, Chinese Mun Fan, Malaysia curry, Indonesia sambal etc... Wow! Yummy all. And don't forget to try their dessert and fresh mango passion fruit juice. Wonderful & I highly recommend here & definitely will come again.

Pros: Excellent food, Fresh & healthy, Good value
Wyatt
Wyatt

Solid but not exceptional

Posted on 07 / 29 / 2014

After having eaten in many great restaurants on our trip so far (thanks Happy Cow!) I had high expectations for the Vegetarian. It turned out to be good, but not great, and didn't live up to my expectations.

Everything was solid and cheap, but nothing stood out. The star-anise tofu and mushroom dish had some great tofu and mushrooms in it, but the star-anise sauce was too weak for my taste.

mike_veg
mike_veg

Delicious Food

Posted on 06 / 19 / 2014

For me, It's two thumb-up! One of a good vegetarian restaurant around Phnom Penh,Cambodia.
Price is moderate. We met the owner and she's very accommodating. Service is good. The food is very delicious.
Location is alright and accessible. Just ride Tuktuk so you will not be lost.
I'm coming back for sure!

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff
KonradAdams
KonradAdams

Good quality, insanely cheap

Posted on 06 / 02 / 2014

Offers a wide range of choices of Asian veggie food. I had the steamed tofu and olive paste - essentially a large block of soft tofu with an olive paste topping sitting in a soya sauce-based broth. Very pleasant without being earth-shattering. The pudding hit the mark, however - the sesame seed balls (in soya milk) in my case. Add a side of rice and fruit smoothie (several choices here too) and still got change from $7.
Hope to be back in my fortnight here to sample some other items.
Staff speak good English and are very friendly.

Pros: Price, Choice, Friendliness
Cons: Closed Sundays
Beko
Beko

seriously good!

Posted on 05 / 26 / 2014

Nice atmosphere, good service but most of all the food was fantastic. The Cambodian amok curry was so tasty! And the banana in coconut milk is one of the nicest deserts I've ever had. Good value too, 2 people each a main meal, a smoothie and shared a desert for under $12

sharklovergirl
sharklovergirl

yummy

Posted on 12 / 09 / 2013

Good food, nice place and good location!! Highly recommend the Lok Lak!!

Kenny G
Kenny G

Fantastic

Posted on 12 / 01 / 2013

Great staff and food at insanely good prices. All of the fried appetizers are wonderful, with an emphasis on the samosas. Their Oriental crispy noodles are the best I have had in Phnom Penh. Soups are solid (Malaysian curry is delicious), ambience nice and peaceful. Closed on Sunday and they generally take the last order around 7:45PM.

Pros: Food, Price, Staff
Cons: Not open late.
schumacher62
schumacher62

It seemed vegan to me

Posted on 09 / 14 / 2013

but we all make concessions while traveling, and if it was not entirely vegan it wasnt obvious.

hip place, slow and apathetic or rather uninspired service, but a wide menu with amazingly low prices. we went back a second time and found it closed on a sunday.

set off a quiet street, there is a small room in the back with free literature and bags and shirts for sale. would go back, tried to go back! everything was tasty and portions were correct.

we took our tuk-tuk driver there for lunch, and he enjoyed the tofu, it was the first he had ever tried. unfortunately that tofu dish was deep friend medallions of tofu in a gloppy sort of xanthan gum mushroom sauce: uninspired in any country.

i would not call the tastes and flavors exceptional, but when you are walking down a dirty street looking at whole cooked ducks and dumplings full of unknown animal parts, the vegetarian is refreshing indeed.

Nareth
Nareth

The Vegetarian

Posted on 05 / 31 / 2013

The location is good clean cozy food delicious especially no MGS. Staff very friendly and price is inexpensive. Further, they have a small Library, all CDs and books are free distribution and animals they has donation Box.

Atomicpen

kezia
kezia

Loved it!!

Posted on 02 / 13 / 2013

I ate here twice during my 3 days in Phnom Penn. I thought it was excellent!
As a vegan I was spoilt for choice.
I tried the 5 veggie stir fry, Cambodian Amok curry and the golden bean curd with filling ( the bean curd was filled with tiny pieces of diced vegetables) I had this as a starter. It's listed under the light meal section of the menu.
I've eaten in veggie/vegan restaurants all over Asia. i found food here to be delicious and of generous portions and reasonably priced.
I find it had to believe that the review a couple before mine was so negative.
There is an inside and outside area, the outside area is small, but it's a lovely tranquil oasis set back from the hectic and busyness of Phnom Penn.
Try this place for definite :D
Highly recommended.

Pros: inside and outside seating, Very central location, Great choice of Vegan food
Cons: No vegan deserts
fletchiekins
fletchiekins

Excellent food

Posted on 01 / 16 / 2013

Probably the best food I have had in Cambodia - previously called the Treez Recipe (which was the restaurant we were looking for originally) we went back both days on our trip. Would highly reccommend.

freeprincebandar
freeprincebandar

the vegetarian

Posted on 09 / 14 / 2012

Don't get the amok, we had it later in Siem Reap, completely different dish and much better. Desert sounded intriguing on the menu but was a bowl of sliced banana in a bowl of watered down coconut milk. Restaurant itself is nice in appearance though.

Pros: good ambience
Cons: no A/C
Vgan
Vgan

Still good

Posted on 08 / 25 / 2012

I wish I had read the warning on the Happy Cow site that this restaurant had just moved; instead I trusted my tourist map and the June 2012 Lonely Planet Cambodia guide and assumed it was still on street 200. Result was much wasted time in broiling heat. When I eventually located the new premises I found a much bigger menu than on my many visits a year ago. Gone also are the days when all dishes cost $1.50. But it's still great value, and you have to be reassured by a restaurant whose staff wear T-shirts reading No Meat, No Fish, No Eggs. To summarise: pancakes at $1.50; sandwiches $1.75; various noodle and spaghetti dishes $1.75; snacks $1.75; soups $1.50; salads $1.75, main courses $2 and $2.50; juices $1.50 and $1.75; desserts $1.25. Seating available in the garden, but plenty of space inside if it's raining.

bellatrixblitz
bellatrixblitz

A bit like a cafeteria

Posted on 07 / 28 / 2012

The cafe is nestled away on a sidestreet.

The food was not amazing however it was edible, but at $1 - 2 USD per dish it fulfils requirements.

The menu was very explanatory there were pictures and English.

I had the curry vegetable soup which was nice - however as in many cambodian soups the vegetables had been stewing for quite some time.

While it was no dingy street stall it just didn't have very much atmosphere about it.

The waitress was pleasant. She did the best she could with the language barrier.

Would go there again if I was out and needed a meal but I wouldn't 'go out' for a meal there with friends or anything.

Pros: clean, understandable menu, cheap
Cons: average food
earthville
earthville

Clean, tasty, affordable, and pleasant

Posted on 05 / 23 / 2012

We ate at the Vegetarian several times in 2011 and we enjoyed its simple charms, as did one of our carnivorous local friends.

We found the trick to getting the most satisfying meal here is in creating a good balance, and that's true anywhere but it takes a little more attention here because a lot of the food on the menu is fried, and some of those fried items are still a bit oily when served. Some of their fried dishes are quite tasty, but be careful not to overdo the battery deep-fried options.

Solution: take at least one friend with you (so you can get a few dishes to share) and order a fresh fruit juice for starters, then a balanced meal with a soup, some green veggies, and just one of the fried protein options if you're into that.

The "grilled ham" was especially good (to our surprise, since we aren't ham people).

The location is central yet quiet, and the open front makes it breezy and pleasant. Clean and friendly, too.

Pros: good value & selection, tasty, clean, and friendly, good central location
Cons: some dishes oily
iamere
iamere

Nice!!!

Posted on 02 / 10 / 2012

We have been to this place a few times, and it has become our second choice for eating in Phnom Penh.
The food is very nice and easy to eat at if you are vegan. It's good value and the general restaurant has a really nice ambiance to it. The staff are very friendly.
There are a couple of tables out front if you wish to eat out doors.
All in all, if you are veggie or vegan, this place is a must try!

Pros: great food, good staff and service
flowerpopgurl
flowerpopgurl

Wonderful Veggie treat

Posted on 04 / 20 / 2011

After our tour in Phnom Penh, we decided to eat here as it's a bit hard to look for vegetarian restos around. Very friendly staff and was able to chit-chat with them as well. Lovely ambiance, nice and cozy location and wonderful foods. Will definitely go back here in the future.

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff
Cons: wait time for food preparation
geckobranko
geckobranko

Great and cheap food

Posted on 03 / 28 / 2011

The Vegetarian is my favorite in Phnom Penh, most dishes are 1,5 dollar and you can choose between asian and western food. Lovely and clean place, friendly people and great food. Try the fake-ham sandwich or the spaghetti... yummy! My number one!

Pros: great food, so cheap, clean and friendly
londonDiva
londonDiva

Delicious food at bargain price $1 for any item -

Posted on 01 / 11 / 2011

Food in here is only $1 for any one dish. I ordered fresh mango juice, pumpkin soup, spring rolls and dumplings.

I got big bowl of soup, then came the spring rolls. I was surprised to see that there were 8 spring rolls on the plate. All for only one dollar!!! Wow.
The spring rolls were absolutely delicious. Then came the dumplings were yum.

I started talking to one of the chef who was eating on other table due to near closing time. I told them it was too much food and he said they would pack it for me. Few people came for take away fried rice etc. This restaurant is suitable for Vegetarians, and Non vegetarians as well. The potions are huge.

I talked to the waiters and chefs and they told me the owner being vegetarian had subsidised the prices.
I loved eating at this restaurant, everyone were so friendly .

mnsteinbergsquires
mnsteinbergsquires

Inexpensive

Posted on 12 / 18 / 2010

Everything on the menu was US$1. The restaurant was clean and cheerful, but most of the individual items were fried. The fruit shake was good. Friendly staff did not speak much English.

tash
tash

...

Posted on 11 / 26 / 2010

nice food, tasty deep fried battered tofu. but whether or not each dish is worth a dollar depends on what you order.. the spaghetti isn't enough for a dinner, but the tempura or deep fried tofu (under snacks) is generous and very filling because of the thick batter. in general yummy though, and good service. their business cards and fliers use the phrase 'go vegan, save the planet' or something, but they serve eggs and cheese. hmm.

terrenceleong
terrenceleong

The Vegetarian in Phnom Penh

Posted on 11 / 11 / 2010

Clean, breezy, comfortable & friendly restaurant. Run by a foreigner to encourage people to go for vegetarian & price is inexpensive. Menu serve fine Asian & Western cuisine, food fresh, very delicious & good service. Really worth for visit.
Fruit juice is 100% fresh made & pure, spaghetti, pumpkin soup, noodle soup, fried rice, curry, veggie, salad, sandwich, pancake, dessert etc.. are all very nice too.
Unbelievable vegetarian is so delicious & all my friends are very enjoy the food there.

simpsonyellow
simpsonyellow

Nice Place, Average Food

Posted on 10 / 09 / 2010

A pleasant restaurant and incredibly cheaply priced, given the location, decor etc.

The meals may only be US$1 each, but you more or less get what you pay for - dishes can be quite bland and the ingredients are simple and cheap. I'd be happy to pay more for higher quality food.

The menu is a blend of Asian and Western cuisine. The Asian dishes (rice, noodles, mushroom etc) are a safer bet than the Western (e.g. pasta with potato sauce), though still underwhelming. OK, but nothing to rave about. Juices are quite nice and pretty cheap though.

If all you want is a really cheap place with a pleasant atmosphere, this is pretty good. The quality of the food leaves quite a bit to be desired though, and I'd be much more inclined to go elsewhere.

Pros: Location, Ambience, Clean
Cons: Food not great, Weird interpretations of Western dishes
flavourful
flavourful

Great price but not all the rave

Posted on 09 / 07 / 2010

after reading all the reviews went there for a try, the place is small and cozy, seating is limited. you might have to share a table with other patrons. The food selection is basic. The fresh juice is nice and fresh. I suppose for a low cost, a simple meal and fresh juice it would be a great place to eat.
I would not go out of my way to get there, well that's in my opinion.

Pros: low cost, fresh juice, healthy food
Cons: limited seating, , basic menu, not so tasty or flavourful
Pharoun
Pharoun

>>> The Vegetarian

Posted on 08 / 11 / 2010

I have found a new favorite vegetarian shop. Being vegetarian is another good thing because everyone can enjoy it.Considering the cheap price tag of the dish only USD1 per dish, the amount of ingredients given was pleasantly awesome.The vegetarian is actually good enough, the food is coupled with a low pricing. Clean, comfy environment, courteous staff and satisfied with the freshness and taste.

Pros: excellent food, excellent food, excellent food
Cons: excellent food, excellent food, excellent food
sotheary
sotheary

Very delicious and healthy

Posted on 08 / 10 / 2010

I went to Phnom Penh a week ago to look for vegetarian restaurant with two friends.Its was a nice lunch with nice food,good service and friendly.After that i started to order the food,I have order one noodle soup and one fried mix vegetarian, the first thing that they serve me is mineral water and the way they talk very polite keep on smiling. especially the food that i had order they can make it only in a moment for two kinds of food and the food look fresh with nice smell,I love it.I only spend $2 for two dishes.

Virakyuth
Virakyuth

ONLY USD1 - Where to find in Phnom Penh ???

Posted on 08 / 09 / 2010

USD 1 - surprisingly more satisfying than expected for the nice food and portion. has gotta be one of the best in town. And a good thing about it is you WON'T be charged exorbitantly for a plate of dish.If you're a long customer of this restaurant you will definitely know what I mean.

vieuxious
vieuxious
  • raw

The Vegetarian @ Phnom Penh

Posted on 08 / 09 / 2010

Finally "The Vegetarian" another new born vegetarian Restaurant in Phnom Penh. When it first opened in Phnom Penh it created a buzz among vegetarian lovers, as the variety of food was considered to be fresh and unique for us - not to mention tasted great too.My personal experience with "The Vegetarian was a good affair and I still could remember some of the dishes I had that day like the dumpling and Spaghetti Tomato. I like how "The Vegetarian" designs their restaurant giving a nice, calming ambiance. ..... Dining at The vegetarian ...sure to be at the correct place

Yummy yummy
Yummy yummy
  • non-vegetarian

Its taste better than its looks

Posted on 07 / 28 / 2010

Naturally, Human being's demand of eating is that cheap, delicious, and healthy.where can find ? yeah,The vegetarian only which cost $1 each dish and set meal only $0.75. Let me introduce some dish that i had tried many time such as short noddle,deep fry dumpling,set meal, fruit salad and fresh juice and so on. Those are very delicious, healthy and $1 for each. However, the environment clean and windy. If want healthy,cheap, good service, good environment, please think about THE VEGETARIAN is the best place for us :)

wish
wish
  • fruitarian

Set meal, fresh fruit juice, fried mixed mushroom

Posted on 07 / 28 / 2010

Yes yes yes.... It true is....
I used to be there and having set meal normally at lunch time. The meal is so nice contained of 3 different dishes and white rice serving in a-likely banana leave plate which is just only 3000KHR around USD0.75.
Fresh fruit juice, I do say it is fresh and live made just in the small kitchen right inside the rest.. The juice never pre make since I can hear the sound of the fruit juice machine..."trorrr trorrr........" Normally I order the juice mixed of carrot, apply, and a piece of ginger. It is very delicious, I can tell you.
Besides, the food and meal, the decoration look so nice and attractive by means of wallpaper (leave design, glas, plate,..), music, lighting, and winding ways.
Not only the set meal, but also the FRIED MIXED MUSHROOM is also delicious...
I can eat quite alot and feel relax once I be there....
If you are the vegetarian and want to find the good place to be served, why NOT this VEGETARIAN RESTAURANT... :)

Cons: 3
fina
fina

$1 for each item

Posted on 07 / 28 / 2010

AS I ever been there often, I would recomand the place are clean with an open air, all food are delicious. should try Fried dumpling and spegheti if you be there.

wonglaiheng
wonglaiheng
  • non-vegetarian

"The Vegetarian" Restaurant in Phnom Penh

Posted on 07 / 28 / 2010

i had been there for few time and the the food was nice, delicious and cheap... all the food serve is only USD 1.00 ...further more the staff is very friendly.. the tomato soup is a good choice if u prefer sour food.. beside that the fried spring roll also taste nice cause i had just tried it on today... also they offer the set meal with 3 dish and a rice which only cost you USD 0.75.. the most impressed me is the 3 dish was never the same in everyday.. some more the surrounding was windy even through w/o air-conditional.....

Dear Owner and Manager of The Vegetarian:

Thank you for being a FRIEND supporter.

There are more ways to promote your business on HappyCow, including:

1. Advertise your large, custom banner on the Phnom Penh page, or any other regional page
  2. Upgrade to Premium FRIEND status to get a Spotlight Feature in HappyCow's popular e-Newsletter, MooZine. You'll also get generous discounts on any additional advertising

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2013/12/09