Hollywood vegan restaurant with extensive menu featuring various faux meat Thai food dishes, soups, curries, veggie sushi, pancakes, rice and noodles bowls, shabu shabu hot pot, and more. Small space, simple setup. Has 2 tables outside for seating. Parking on street. Different owners from Vegan House on Sunset Blvd in Silvelake. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Thai, American, Fast food, Take-out, Delivery
1717 N Wilcox Ave (Hollywood Blvd)
Hollywood, California 90028
323-962-6195
OPEN NOW

Mon-Sun 11:00am-10:00pm

First Review by gr8vegan
AsYouWish
AsYouWish

Tiny place, really good food

Posted on 10 / 06 / 2014

We visited The Vegan House on October 5th, 2014 for dinner. I had the vegan California roll and my daughter had the cowboy burger. The sushi was made with brown rice, which was good, and it was flavorful and fresh. The cowboy burger with fries was also delicious. We got a piece of chocolate cake to take home, and it was to die for!
The Vegan House is a tiny building next to a parking lot. It was very hot when we were there, so they had us sit next to the window to catch a breeze. Next time we'll probably just order food to go.

Pros: all vegan, fast service, desserts
Cons: small, stuffy building
YahelSherman
YahelSherman
  • raw

love it (-;

Posted on 12 / 18 / 2013

Small yami place & great owner (Naree)
So friendly& lovely (-; Spread great vibe in the restaurant , and the food .

BonnieRzM
BonnieRzM

amazing food!

Posted on 12 / 17 / 2013

I had a great experience with this restaurant.
I'm vegan so this place is paradise for me.
I order sushi and I have to say that it was amazing.
The service was excellence. It's a small place which make the attention even more personal.

I will go back for sure

NimbusTLD
NimbusTLD

Tasty vegan paradise!

Posted on 09 / 27 / 2013

I wish I lived around here so I could come back every day and try each menu item! It all looked so delicious and varied. So nice to be presented with so many options after years as a vegan. Great lunch and dinner deals, I opted for a sumptuous peanut and coconut curry. Highly recommended!

Pros: loads of options, delicious, exceptional service
Cons: my stomach is too small to taste everything
PhilippaPickering
PhilippaPickering

very good food

Posted on 09 / 26 / 2013

really good, reasonably priced food. Very fresh and tasty.

Pros: tasty food, good priced, friendly staff
cincorobles
cincorobles

Good Cooking Friendly Folks

Posted on 09 / 23 / 2013

Step away from the Hollywood crazies for a quiet delicious meal. Varied choices, great curries, soups, even tasty vegan deserts. The folks are kind, the service is quick, the ingredients fresh. Enjoyed it.

Pros: Ingredients, Quick Service, Varied Menu
Chia
Chia

vegan food

Posted on 09 / 09 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow, and here's my Vegan House 2 review.

From the outside, the restaurant looks kinda like a hole-in-the-wall newly painted green, but the inside was actually okay, small and very causal with bar-like seating and some tables.

Friends of ours had been here a couple weeks prior and liked the shabu shabu (hot pot of broth over flame where you add an assortment of veggies, then eat with dipping sauce).

This time, we were a group of 4 and opted to order other items from the menu to try. We got the papaya salad, vege soup, tom kah tofu soup, pad thai noodles with tofu, scrambled tofu sushi, stir fried veggies & soy fish with brown rice, and drinks. All in all, the food was a average.

The soups were okay. The tom kah tofu soup had good flavor but it came with only tofu and no veggies. The pad thai was tasty and saucy but not salty. The stir fried veggies & soy fish with brown rice was average, not particularly interesting. The papaya salad was very salty and sour but no spices or special flavor - we couldn't finish it. The scramble tofu sushi was strange and had a spicy and unpleasant after taste - did not finish.

Think we won't be returning soon unless there is a big change in the kitchen. Perhaps because the menu is so extensive, the restaurant lost its focus, and rather than making some food great, they just end up making everything mediocre and bad.

I hope they improve, because vegan restaurants are hard to come by, and they need all the business they can get.

Pros: all vegan, very large menu, friendly server
Cons: street parking only, quality control
miss-mischief420
miss-mischief420

yummy

Posted on 09 / 27 / 2011

great quick food thanks

Pros: price, quality, speed
Cons: parking, variety, area
Crystalveg
Crystalveg

Surprised to see so so reviews, we loved it!

Posted on 04 / 26 / 2011

We are from Buffalo and have few choices when it comes to fresh vegetarian food, so we thought we had died and went to heaven when we ate here. We had our food to go so I can't comment on the atmosphere or the service but the food was AMAZING!!!!!!Had the Soy Chicken Sa-tay and the Crispy Soy Chicken appetizers and both were delicious!
Our entrees were the Pharam and the Teriyaki, both with soy steak and both were great. I liked that they both came with brown rice (vs white) and they loaded the meals with fresh broccoli instead of the nasty veggies you usually get a fast food restaurants.
Our to go meals were well packed so nothing was leaking and nothing was mixed together. She even remembered straws, forks, sauces, napkins etc, which I NEVER get packed in when I get take out here in B-lo. Oh and she poked holes in the packing to let the steam out. All nice touches that I notice and appreciate!
You people in LA should appreciate what you have cause you don't know how good you got it!!!! :)

Pros: Price, Variety, Quick
Cons: It's not in NY, I have none left, My husband ate most of it
Mistopher
Mistopher

Nothing special, but that's okay.

Posted on 04 / 05 / 2010

If you've eaten at a vegan Thai restaurant in LA, you've eaten at Vegan House. Same menu, same food.

The food is decent, but nothing special. As someone else said, the chow mein is bad, soups and curries are yummy. Shabu shabu is fun.

The prices are strangely uniform across the menu, which is good and bad - stir-frys are cheap, but hashbrowns are $4(!).

The staff is very friendly and remember my name and tastes, but it does get 'quaint' sometimes. There's often a toddler running around and 'Blues Clues' as background noise.

Basically, it ain't gonna blow your mind, but if you want something vegan to eat, it's decent and reasonable.

Pros: Big menu, Friendly, Convenient
Cons: Meh, Somethings expensive, Boring
GreenKat
GreenKat

Good in a Pinch

Posted on 04 / 01 / 2010

I stopped at this place while waiting for a friend to get off work, and decided to have an early dinner. I'm seriously obsessed with young coconut water right now, so it actually means something that their coconut water was OUTSTANDING! I don't know where they get their coconuts but they are super fresh.

I ordered the fresh spring rolls and Tom Kha Veggie soup. The spring rolls were big, but really boring (basically just plain unmarinated tofu, lettuce, and carrots. Blah. However, the Tom Kha Veggie soup was great, had tons of veggies and the perfect amount of heat.

The place is small and intimate, and the waitress was really nice.

Bottom Line: It's not the best ever, but perfect in a pinch.

Pros: Awesome Coconut Water, Tom Kha Veggie, Nice people
Cons: fresh spring rolls, looks like they sleep there
cowrenn
cowrenn

Loved it

Posted on 03 / 20 / 2010

Despite so-so reviews, we went anyway. Had a neat location right off the main drag. Very small and cute. We sat at the bar. I made the mistake of ordering an appetizer and a soup with my main dish...the appetizer and soup alone were more than enough. Also couldn't resist the variety and ordered extra to take home. We ordered one of the curries (amazing), a wonton soup (huge), veggie spring rolls (standard), pad thai (some of the best I've had--the owners are Thai), chow mein (so-so, kinda slimy, wouldn't order again), and vegetable fried rice (not impressed--flavorless brown rice with a few vegetables). The fake meats used appeared to be May Wah. We also got the thai tea which was yummy and refreshing. All of these items only came up to $47...5 main courses, two teas, and an appetizer. Would definitely go again.

Pros: Variety, Price, Location
Cons: Some dishes not so great
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

Good for take-out & delivery

Posted on 07 / 08 / 2009

We just moved into the area, so we've only done take-out and/or delivery a couple of times. Everything tasted good. It's not Vegan Glory (where we used to live near), but it works for us when we don't wanna cook ourselves.

Pros: large menu, take-out & delivery
JesiDi
JesiDi
  • raw

Not so fresh but friendly!

Posted on 07 / 08 / 2009

The first time I went there I had the:
Vegetable Tom Yum Soup, which was OK but I noticed the cauliflower was old and browning.
Papaya Salad, we ordered mild- came out so spicy we had to send it back and have it taken off the bill. It also looked old.
Vegetable Pad Thai, which was not my favorite because it was slimy and the texture wasn't too pleasant.
Vegetable Green Curry, which would've been OK but the eggplant, cauliflower and broccoli were old and browning.
To drink I got the Synergy drink which tasted like a beer gone bad.

Pros: Very Friendly Staff, Cute, Cozy Atmosphere
Cons: Not so fresh veggies, Specify the spicy-ness
  • cowrenn cowrenn

I disagree about the pad thai, I really enjoyed it. The chow mein, however, fit your description!

• JesiDi JesiDi

In their defense, it was the end of the night. That would explain why the veggies were old.

philjdomm
philjdomm

very expensive

Posted on 03 / 12 / 2009

cute place but all plates cost $10 bucks. im use to ordering small appy's atleast 3-4 dishes and it cost me $35 incld tip with my thai ice tea...

Pros: convenient
Cons: expensive
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Large selection does not equal perfection

Posted on 06 / 04 / 2008

I saw a lot of people getting take out while I was dining here today. No one I was with was that happy with their food. Not saying that if you live in the area there couldn't be something good on the menu, but this isn't a destination. Go elsewhere my vegan friends. I was charmed by the scrambled tofu sushi. Too big to eat in one bit and too messy to eat otherwise, but if you're with a group of people who are entertained by strange food definitely get them. Please don't think of this as a bad review, the menu is huge and if you live nearby I'm sure you'll find something. Its inexpensive. Its just not great or good, but its vegan and its food. Its hard to mess up plants, they taste good from the get go... I'd suggest the chef to reformulate and dine at vegan glory a few times. There's no reason they can't be just as good.

Dear Owner and Manager of The Vegan House: