Now offering catering and personal chef services only. Its previous location at S.H.A.P.E. Center shut down in Sept 2013. more-less

First Review by rvasquez
Jerry3
Jerry3

Great food!

5 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2013

I visited this place for the first time a few weeks ago. This place has great vegan burgers!!! The vegan deserts are beyond great! Everyone in the world deserves to experience the vegan ice cream. One word to describe the vegan ice cream: outstanding!!! They have an assortment of great food that is not expensive. A great place to go again and again!

Yahcna
Yahcna

THE BEST ICE CREAM I'VE EVER HAD IN MY LIFE!!

5 Posted on 10 / 10 / 2011

I've been on this planet for 30 years so far, and as an 80's kid that has tasted so many omnivore and veggie ice creams alike, I must that Vegan Cafe's ice cream is not just Vegan, but it beats out Blue bell, Mc Donald's, and other brand in taste! I kid you not! (but this is my opinion).

Vegan Cafe's Ice Cream is a cross between a swirly frozen yogurt kind of ice cream, and that stiff scoop of goodness you would get from somewhere like Baskin and Robbins and Marble Slab.

I must say that as a Vegan, I still love my So Delicious and Turtle Mountain, but Vegan Cafe's Ice cream has become my first love in Ice Cream!

Might I also add that Vegan Cafe's Veggie Burgers and Chicken patty burgers are delectable!! I love to bite into these flavorful burgers and warm veganaise and mustard just ooze out at you, which is just pure love in my mouth.

I always get my food to go, because there is a lot going on within the community center, but this food is well worth the pick up!

By the way, their chocolate cake is out of this world! the only thing is, they don't have everyday, which is probably good for my waistline! :)

Pros: The Best Ice Cream, Excellent Burgers, Delicious Chocolate Cake
MizzB
MizzB

Good food, great value

5 Posted on 09 / 26 / 2011

Vegan Cafe excels at offering really good, basic comfort food at great value. Very fresh ingredients, made from scratch, friendly service. Recommend the greens and black eyed peas, when available, and vegan burger platter with sweet potato fries; regular fries are okay, too. Hummingbird cake is good enough to write home about, and the sweet potato pie is worth the wait.
NEW AT VEGAN CAFE as of September 2011 - VEGAN ICE CREAM! Chef Ali has added almond based home made ice cream that is so light and amazingly refreshing, available in vanilla, chocolate and cookies and cream flavors the day I was there. ALL EXCELLENT!
Updated from previous review on Wednesday January 19, 2011

Pros: good food, great value, comfort food
Cons: sometimes runs out of entrees, limited hours

veganqueen
veganqueen

Fresh, Excellent Vegan Comfort Foods!

5 Posted on 05 / 08 / 2011

Chef Cyntha Muhammad and her husband, Ali, do a great job at providing fresh vegan food at a reasonable price. Located right inside the Shape Community Center on Live Oak, The Vegan Cafe has a variety of vegan "comfort" foods to choose from. I really enjoyed Chef Muhammad's fresh grilled veggie burger that is probably one of Houston's best. You won't find fresher or tastier french fries that are hand cut and fried while you wait. The Vegan Cafe also makes a warm and earthy vegan chili, which is great on their veggie dogs or burgers. I hope that the Vegan Cafe will eventually extend it's hours to include all Saturdays, because right now they are only open two weekends a month for their vegan brunch. If you haven't yet tried their vegan tofu scramble and veggie ham breakfast, you are missing out! What a great asset this cafe is to the local community and neighborhoods. Friendly staff and reasonable prices, too.

Pros: reasonable prices, friendly staff, freshly prepared
Cons: limited parking, not open every weekend
gr8d8
gr8d8

The greatest vegan burger!

5 Posted on 04 / 02 / 2011

I don't usually eat vegan burgers but this one was just like the old better-than-fast-food indulgent run-down-the-arm mouthwatering burger I would have paid big bucks for before I became vegan 10+ years ago. The fries were wonderful. Great atmosphere and the people were accomodating, warm, and welcoming. Prices were just right. Portions huge- I could only eat about half of my single "cheeze burger" and fries, husband ate the rest (in addition to his double!) It is conveniently located and we WILL be going back VERY often! We've found our home away from home! Love the place and the people!

Pros: all vegan & delish!, huge portions, wonderful place / people
soyned
soyned

delicious affordable hole in the wall

5 Posted on 01 / 06 / 2011

Very friendly staff. Huge portions. Daily specials I got the bean chimichanga for $4 and could barely finish it. Really great house salad. Great atmosphere, casual, is inside a very nice community center. New favorite restaurant.

Pros: tasty huge portions, genuine nice staff, relaxed quiet atmosphere
Vegan Gal
Vegan Gal

Now open Mon-Fri with Expanded Cajun Vegan Menu

4 Posted on 02 / 28 / 2010

Found out that restaurant now open 5 days a week, until 7PM. On Tuesdays and Thursdays operated by partner vegan chef Tikur, whose specialty is bringing Cajun /Creole influence to vegan fare. All very nice people, needing word-of-mouth and returning customers to make a success of it. I can't wait to go back. The service can sometimes be a little slow, so if in hurry better to call ahead on your way.

Pros: Staff Very Kind and Committed Vegans, Located in SHAPE Center w/ great energy, Really tasty soul-food vegan fare
Cons: if in hurry, better to call order ahead
rvasquez
rvasquez

Great Vegan Burgers!

4 Posted on 07 / 09 / 2009

Everything I've eaten here was great, but they really only have burgers and salads from what I've seen so far. Maybe they're working up to it. I've been twice and they've just had one burger on the menu and one salad along with homeade fries and smoothies. That being said, that was one of the best vegan burgers I've ever had. So if you're into a good, messy burger this is the place for you!

Pros: Great Burger, Very Friendly, Great Prices
Cons: Limited Menu

Dear Owner and Manager of The Vegan Cafe: