The V Spot Cafe

Latin cafe serving vegan food: pies and cakes, veggie burger, vege chicken cutlets, salads, pasta, empanadas, and raw food. Has wheat-free and gluten-free. Offers brunch menu on weekends, and first Thursday of the month a free comedy show at 9pm. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Latin American, Take-out, Delivery
156 5th Ave (Douglass, Park Slope)
Brooklyn, New York 11217
718-928-8778

Open Tue-Thur 12-10pm, Fri-Sat 11am-10pm, Sun 11am-9pm.

• Cash only

First Review by captown
slo0go
slo0go

Yum!

5 Posted on 12 / 22 / 2013

I've been here a couple of times, and the food is always amazing. Yesterday we got the Colombian empanadas as an appetizer. So crispy and delicious! Fried, but not greasy. I had the seitan chipotle burrito after that, and my date had the Bandeja Paisa, which is a delicious combo platter that includes arepa, rice and beans, carne molida, plaintains, avocado, and tofu. Everything was awesome. Would definitely recommend!

Pros: Latin Food, Ab Fab, Good Portions
Cons: Cash only
craigsutt
craigsutt

Nicely done

4 Posted on 11 / 16 / 2013

This is a relatively small place and teeming with Brooklyn hipsters. Even so, the good is pretty damned good. I had the Seitan Chipotle Burrito and was quite pleased. I'll go again when I'm in the area.

Pros: reasonable prices, very tasty
Cons: wait staff was a little inexperienced
TheGrassIsGreener!
TheGrassIsGreener!

Amazing food!

5 Posted on 11 / 04 / 2013

I try and get something different every time I visit and everything is just amazing!! I personally love the bandeja paisa and the raw tostadas!

emchait
emchait

Happy joyful vegans!

5 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2013

V-Spot is like going home and discovering that your family went vegan. They have pretty much everything a vegan could want (hemp protein for my smoothie!) - latin and kosher just begins to describe it; they list "vegan" repeatedly on the menu probably just to flatter us over and over (it worked). The vegan sign outside is the first sign of safety and then inside, it's cozy, clean, and comfortable. I don't live near Brooklyn so am just planning to make everything on their menu thinking that even non-vegans will like it.

Pros: Creative, Tasty, Kosher
Cons: A little pricey
slithers
slithers

Nice! Empa├▒adas, yum

4 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2013

I was in town last weekend for the Mermaid Parade with some friends and we went to V-spot for dinner on Saturday (June 22, 2013) and we enjoyed it. My friends got the Bandeja Paisa, which they said was excellent and we split 2 of the empa├▒adas (Columbian and Jamaican Jerk), which we liked (the Jamaican Jerk especially had nice spices; the Columbian was good, but less spicey). I wanted greens for entree to get my energy up after a long day of walking around, so I got the Quinoa & Curried Kale and it delivered. The spices were subtle but nice; kale and chickpeas were cooked just right (the tofu was a little bland, but nice texture and went well with the rest); the quinoa was dry and spiced, maybe a little overly salty but good. I also got the Maduro (cooked plaintains w/ sauce) as a side dish which was a nice blend of sweet & savory.

I liked the vibe of the place - it's a bit small, but relaxing - we were out on the back patio and got to see some lightning bugs. The waitress did forget to bring our napkins/silverware and my juice until we asked (after our appetizers arrived), but other than that I thought the service was OK. They do not have beer or wine here, but you can bring your own (and shops nearby carry it), so that's nice. All our food arrived at the expected temperature (warm or hot) and was tasty.

I saw some other people called this "expensive" but I guess I have different expectations - their entrees range from 12-16$ and I know that running a vegan restaurant is expensive (I have some friends who had one), especially as ingredients are not heavily subsidized like meat and dairy are. You can check their website for options/prices here: www.spreadvegan.com (menu is a little hard to read in my browser, but with good eyesight you can make it out)

Pros: delicious food, nice atmosphere
Cons: service so-so
Heurtebise
Heurtebise

Sad, sad place

2 Posted on 06 / 03 / 2013

I guess this is just not what I expected it to be. We went there some day before X-Mas, as a part of a romantic date. I heard a lot about the place and though it was one of stylish and tasty vegan restaurants in Brooklyn. Alas, it wasn't. The menu was very short and basic, yet certanly overpriced. WE had lasagna and some kale and chickpeas side dish. Kale was way too salty, couldn't finish it. Lasagna serving was very small, especially for its price. The choice of drinks also left much to be desired. The only bright thing was their home-made salsa, but it wasn't what we came there for. Won't be back, sorry, V-Spot.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday February 06, 2013

Cons: Small portions, Too basic, Overpriced
changoamable
changoamable

Great place failing from neglect.

2 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2013

Two words: Bandeja Paisa! Yum!
And then most everything else is good too, if you enjoy cold food.
The brunch is delicious. Tofu scramble is better than mine! Pancakes are good.
The owner is a sweetheart, but is around less and less - maybe that explains how this place has gone so far downhill since they opened.
Problems: often the food will arrive barely warm or cold so you know it was sitting in the window of the kitchen for awhile...waiting for some other part of the order or the waiter. It's just lazy. In my many visits to this place, the servers were always able to heat up the food, but never well (burnt edges, one thing still cold, etc.), and never with any apology.
Good organic vegan beer and wine selection.
I used to like this place and recommend it. Now I specifically advise against it. The service is bad, without shame. The "main" server, who's been there I think since they opened, will take your order, not write anything down, forget half of it, spend most of his time talking on his cellphone. Once, when I asked for the check, I waited ten minutes, then followed him outside the restaurant onto the sidewalk to ask again. Shameless.
I hope somebody starts caring about the way this place is run, and they get their act together.

Pros: Badeja Paisa, Food, Drinks
Cons: Service, Attitude, Cold food
  • changoamable changoamable

They opened years ago. Over time, I enjoyed the dishes mentioned, and suffered okay to just offensively bad service. Giving many chances. Eating too much cold food. Suffering much bad service. Over time. Boring, and after awhile, unforgivable. Cutting breaks doesn't go very very far if the owners and workers just don't care. And they don't.

• slithers slithers

I don't understand this - you gave them the worst possible rating (2), yet you say you've been there many times and the bandeja paisa & brunch are delicious? I think you should give a vegan place with decent food a break - maybe a 3 (fair) would match better with your words?

I'll be writing a review shortly and although the service wasn't awesome, my experience was otherwise very good.

HeatherHeight
HeatherHeight

Sooooo Yummy!

4 Posted on 09 / 24 / 2012

There is nothing like a mint lemonade on a hot day! The Nachos and empanadas were delicious!

Pros: Food , smoothies
happycowgirl
happycowgirl

They have Brunch!

4 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2012

Finding a place that serves a vegan brunch is a rare treat in my book. V-spot serves brunch from 11a to 4pm on the weekends. Vegan pancakes, tofu scramble, tofu ranchero, breakfast empanadas, tempeh bacon, veggie sausage. Good selection of juices and smoothies to go with it.

Free wifi. They also have a free comedy show every other Thurs night at 8:30. It's cash only now but there's an ATM inside.

The bad - they're not open M,T or W.

grassfield
grassfield

Go for the wings

5 Posted on 02 / 25 / 2011

The buffalo wings were fantastic. They came on a stick and pulled off in tender bits. The serving was quite large and the price was very reasonable. The chick'n cutlet sandwich was a straight forward chick'n cutlet sandwich.

Pros: cheap, good food
veggiegoth
veggiegoth

so far, so good

4 Posted on 02 / 19 / 2010

i have been to v-spot a half dozen times and every time i have enjoyed my meal. the california buger was tasty as well as the vegan chicken cutlet sandwich. i really liked the seitan wrap. nice atmosphere and they have an outdoor space in the back which is not too shabby. if i lived in PS i would definitly be at atlas on a regular basis.

forestfairy
forestfairy

just okay...

3 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2010

went to V-Spot last night for dinner with friends- it's a cute place, simple, and has a nice coney island lager on tap. the service is pretty bad though- everyone is really nice, it just seems like they're disorganized and maybe short on servers. We had to beg for water refills and our drinks took forever- we shared three appetizers: nachos, summer rolls, and buffalo chicken. the nachos were not very exciting and didn't have nearly enough sour cream or guacamole, and the chips were really oily, the summer rolls were awesome, and the buffalo chicken tasted sooo much like chicken and everyone loved it- the only bad thing was that we didn't realize that there were wooden skewers inside each "chicken" wing and they weren't visible until you took a big bite- so my husband nearly choked on his first bite!
My main course was the quesadillas- very yummy and filling!
everyone enjoyed their entrees, but when we left we all had stomach aches...I think it's due to the fact that most of the dishes are prepared using a lot of processed soy products. My husband and I are vegan so we can usually handle a lot of soy, but this was a bit too much I guess.
Overall, we had a nice time, but am I excited to go back? No, not really...

Pros: nice staff, good beer
Cons: processed soy overload, slow service
helenhh
helenhh

Travel excursion

3 Posted on 02 / 16 / 2009

Every time I travel to the US and in particular New Jersey/New York I try to visit the v-spot. Food is great and affordable. Just a pity they have reduced their business hours :(

jrm212
jrm212

Great Weekend Brunch

4 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2009

Bit of attitude from the hostess, but our super-nice waiter and other staff made up for it. Delicious food: soup of the day (butternut squash), and the breakfast burrito. Will definitely go back...

Pros: Diverse menu, Fair Prices, Good food
Cons: Unfriendly hostess, Juice machine not working
Drago
Drago

Not amazed but pleased

3 Posted on 03 / 05 / 2008

V Spot is def. not the most amazing Vegan food I've ever had but then, I don't think it aspires to be. It's not like going to Gobo or Candle or Blossom where you expect the best of the best. V Spot is more like Vegan comfort food and in that regard I think they do that very well. I can honestly say I they make the best Vegan chicken parm I've gotton anywhere, definitely better than Red Bamboo's. The service has always been prompt and friendly and with a lot of the vegan places in Brooklyn being clustered in Willamsburg it was exciting when this place opened in Park Slope. Thank goodness POM doesn't test on animals anymore but when POM did V Spot took it off their menu. They have the Great Squash Cook Off. And they hang art from local artists. I do think though their prices are a bit steep. The sandwiches they produce should not be $9. On the other hand it's great that they have Blue Sky sodas when a lot of other Vegan places still don't seem to make the company policies and possiblity health considerations connection and still rely on Coke and Pepsi.

Pros: satisfying, friendly
Cons: expensive
captown
captown

pretty good

3 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2007

The food was good, the atmosphere was pretty good, but the serving sizes were a little small for the price. They have very good desserts and milkshakes. All and all it is worth checking out.

Dear Owner and Manager of The V Spot Cafe: