The Upstairs

Serves meat, veg options available. Focus is on fondue but also quick meal of wraps, soups, salads, sandwiches, desserts. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Lacto, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by marturey
Michelle Insask
Michelle Insask

Great Food & Service, Will Leave Full on Weekends

4 Posted on 04 / 29 / 2010

Went there on Good Friday with a mixed group of meat eaters and vegetarians. The service was great and the host was very attentive and aware of vegan diets including offering a butter substitute. The vegan cheese fondue was so good and so was the chocolate desert fondue. They continually came to our table offering more veggies, bread and fruit. It was also fun to cook our own food on hot stones.
On weekends each guest must order the four course meal which can get pricey but you will leave stuffed. I will go back on a weekday to order a smaller meal and on special occasions on weekends.

Pros: Great friendly service, Good Vegan "Cheese" and chocolate., Unique dining experience.
Cons: Must order 4 course meal on weekends, Not wheelchair accessible (I believe).
lobsteriffic
lobsteriffic

About as Vegan Friendly as Saskatoon Gets

4 Posted on 04 / 10 / 2009

For the fondue, the Upstairs used to declare right on the menu which options were vegan with a "V" but that has now been removed. So you will have to ask. When I mentioned I was vegan to my waitress she was really helpful. The "cheese" fondue was okay...I've made better myself at home but I still appreciate the novelty of ordering a vegan fondue in Saskatoon. The soups are excellent, I really recommend the chickpea-sun dried tomato one they always seem to have. For the main course, you can get faux chicken/beef and various veggies. Most of their chocolate fondues are vegan as well.

I've never been there for lunch, so I can't comment on their non-fondue menu.

Pros: vegan options, nice place to go, friendly staff
Cons: expensive, vegan options not clearly labelled
marturey
marturey

Vegan Fondue -- I LOVE IT!!!

4 Posted on 05 / 27 / 2008

I've never had fondue before and didn't even think that vegan fondue was an option. Very nice atmosphere and the menu actually indicates what is vegan and what isn't which is great. One option is a prix-fixe menu with 4 courses. First the appetizer which involves some veggies and fruit and vegan bread with a vegan cheese sauce (made with tofutti), next is the soup or salad course (i had the delicious sun-dried chickpea soup), next is the main course which involves your choice of 3 options (broccoli, falafel, vegan mock meats, mushrooms, cauliflower) it is served with delicious potatoes. The platter is brought with many different dips (all vegan i.e. salsa, teriyaki etc) and you cook it in the oil (or hot rocks). FInally the dessert which is fruit that you dip into the chocolate fondue (many vegan options, creme de menthe, peanut butter). The dessert is HEAVENLY. One of the best things I've ever tasted. The martinis are good too and the menu actually indicates which martinis are vegan. This is a really nice restaurant and the service was really good and friendly. They also sell various vegan wraps and soups if you don't want the prix-fixe menu. Because this is fondue it's not a quick meal but if you are looking for a nice time out and to try something different this is the place to go. I went on a Monday but the place was pretty busy. I think reservations are normally needed. Because you have to walk upstairs to get to the restaurant it isn't appropriate for someone in a wheelchair. Definitely one of the most interesting meal experiences I've ever had and the food was great!!!!! Our meal for 2 prix fixe dinners and 4 drinks was about $100

Pros: Something Different, Food & Drinks Superb, Nice & Friendly Atmosphere
Cons: Not wheelchair accessible

Dear Owner and Manager of The Upstairs: