Serves meat, veg options available. Restaurant and bar. Many menu dishes items come with choice of either meat, tofu, or tempeh. Vegans need to specify. Jun 2013 server reported to happycow member that the pecan encrusted tofu is not fully vegan. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Lacto, American, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
30 N Main St (University)
Gainesville, Florida 32601
352-337-1188
Closed now

Tue-Sat 5:00pm-2:00am, Sun 11:00am-11:00pm

First Review by rainfall2008
kmilitello
kmilitello

Better options for vegan food in Gainesville

Posted on 10 / 22 / 2014

Nothing on the menu is labeled vegan and that's because a lot of seemingly could-be-vegan items aren't for one reason or another (like a mayo based sauce). We found a few vegan options and they were okay. The place is trendy. Good beer menu. If you want a nicer dinner and are eating with non-vegans, not a bad option. Otherwise, head over to Southern Charm Kitchen or the Daily Green for better vegan food options.

Pros: Nicer atmosphere for dinner, Good beer selection
Cons: Few vegan options, Nothing labeled vegan on menu
jennafusal
jennafusal

Very good.

Posted on 06 / 23 / 2013

This was voted best vegan place in Gainesville but I was skeptical when the menu I found online had nothing designated vegan.

With few options on a Sunday evening, I was talked into going. It was busy so we opted to eat at the bar but it was still 50 minutes until we ate. The bartender was vegan and told us what was vegan, about 5 items. We had spicy noodles with tofu which was spicy and delicious and eggplant with a cashew cheese pesto sauce which was very good. The pecan encrusted tofu mentioned here is not vegan.

Atmosphere was nice and staff friendly and helpful. Service was a little slow but they did look busy.

Cons: limited options, longish wait
saumya108
saumya108

An upbeat place

Posted on 01 / 28 / 2013

I consider this place to be a bit pricier than I would prefer, but I'm rather poor. You may not think so. The atmosphere is charming and the people that served us the one time I went there were friendly and understood our vegetarian concerns. They had vegetarian Southern comfort food, which is quite interesting, really. We had fried pickles as an appetizer that were REALLY tasty, although not for someone counting calories. Nice people. Try it.

Pros: nice people , charming atmosphere, interesting food
Cons: not for the dirt poor, but save and go!

ashfnm
ashfnm

Great for Vegans

Posted on 09 / 12 / 2012

I've eaten here weekly for years. It's a busy, hectic, quirky, fun atmosphere. Service can be slow when it's busy but they're usually very friendly, knowledgeable and about all the vegan options. I like the Vegan Caeser, the Ginger Tempeh Tacos (tuesdays), pecan encrusted tofu, the falafel burger, the black bean burger with seitan bacon and all the tempeh dishes. They usually have a vegan special too. They have an entire section of vegan brunches on sunday. The Vegan Benedict can either be delicious or too greasy to stomach so be warned.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, great beer selection, great atmosphere
Cons: can be greasy, can be slow
RunVeg
RunVeg

Go for brunch!

Posted on 03 / 02 / 2011

This is a bar that also serves brunch (only on Sundays? Don't know what days). It's a mix of meat and vegan, but everything is clearly marked. I was recommended and decided to try the Vegan Biscuits and Soysage Gravy. You get 2 full biscuits topped with gravy--a ton of food for $6! I also added a side of seitan bacon, which was 2 tiny little slices for $2.25--not worth it, I don't think. The bacon wasn't crisp, but it had a really yummy flavor. They also had french toast and veggie burgers. It was nice because they offered Earth Balance and soy milk (with coffee). The decorations are cool and the atmosphere is pretty laid back. We had to wait for quite a long time, but it was 11 AM on a Sunday. Our server was really nice and apologetic for the wait, but we ended up being there over 2 hours. Just make sure you're not starving before you go.

Pros: Biscuits and soysage gravy!, Cool decorations
Cons: Slow service, Seitan bacon not crispy, Seating really cramped if not at a booth
aadams1217
aadams1217
  • non-vegetarian

Yum!

Posted on 09 / 17 / 2010

My boyfriend and I went here for some late-night dinner. And even though I wasn't 21, they still let me eat even though after 11pm places serving alcohol aren't allowed to admit people under 21.

Tons of veggie options. I had the pecan encrusted tofu. Very good but a bit creamy.

Our server was really nice too. The place had a great ambience overall. Would go back.

Pros: tasty, ambience, service
Cons: a bit creamy
RachelLouise
RachelLouise

Disappointing for vegans

Posted on 06 / 16 / 2008

I was looking forward to trying The Top, and when I finally did, I was very disappointed. Despite the large selection of vegetarian items, there were very few that were vegan. The waiter was not very helpful, and was clearly annoyed that I wanted him to ask the chef if the Mediterranean Pasta could be made vegan (it couldn't). I finally ordered the orange-ginger stir fry, and it was good, but too sweet, and I wouldn't order it again. They didn't have either of the vegan desserts that appeared on the menu. I heard the vegan chocolate cake was good, and also that the spicy peanut dish, which I believe was vegan, was also good. Be careful, though, because many of the menu items look vegan but actually contain dairy.

Pros: vegan chocolate cake?, spicy peanut dish?, good for groups
Cons: bad service, small vegan selection, out of a lot of things
tamberine97
tamberine97

more please

Posted on 06 / 08 / 2008

Went there for the first time this morning, they were out of tempeh, but im pretty thankfull. I got the scrambled tofu. I made sure not to eat it all so that I could take it home. They also automaticaly asked if i would rather soymilk or creamer with my coffee which made me feel all warm inside.

Pros: amazing veg items, amazing food, freash veggies
Guest
Guest

divine food, fun and quirky atmosphere

Posted on 11 / 22 / 2007

this place has super-scrumptious, mostly italian-inspired dishes. very unique feel to the place and the food is totally delicious. everything on menu can have tofu or tempeh substituted to make it vegetarian and they have several ways of preparing the tofu too. if you get any dish with the pecan-encrusted tofu option, you'll be toally hooked! i dream about how good this food is and wake up craving it. friendly and fast service for pretty cheap prices.

Pros: wonderful tasting food, great vegetarian/vegan options, locally-owned, buys organic
Cons: a little too much olive oil in noodles
rainfall2008
rainfall2008

excellent food!

Posted on 08 / 31 / 2007

This place is excellent for dinner! Try the tempeh thai dish. The vegan ceaser salad is great too.
However, don't waste your belly with the vegan rum cake.

Pros: excellent dinner, friendly staff, cool atmosphere
Cons: a little pricy