The Tempelton

Serves meat, veg options available. Offbeat meal on a budget '30s diner nestled among the cinemas. While menu is heavy on the meat, it also includes ovo-lacto vegetarian breakfast items plus a tofu scrambler, and lacto-vegetarian lunch options. Portabello mushroom burger with cheese, mac n cheese, quesadilla, pesto veggie lasagna. Has a vegan lentil loaf. Wi-fi. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by Stevie
lovela5
lovela5

Good food but I'm too crazy about it

3 Posted on 01 / 21 / 2014

They do have quite few vegan options such as vegan chilli, portobello burger, lentil loaf, tofu scramble. The tofu scramble was alright but not the best one I had in my life. I really likes the portobello burger though!

This place is always packed especially during the weekend !

Pros: quite few vegan options, good food, cheap
saveur
saveur

Vegan options need modifications

2 Posted on 03 / 22 / 2012

Gotta love how their portobello burger comes with cheese... Anyways, they have a few vegan options and they are willing to make some substitutions. I tried the vegan lentil loaf but didn't really care for it. The fries were lackluster. Not sure why this place gets such high praise..

DollyWiggles
DollyWiggles

My favorite tofu scramble in town

4 Posted on 02 / 11 / 2012

Anyone else watch Fringe and notice they filmed heavily at Tempelton recently? I was exicted when I saw that.

Anyways, while they do serve a lot of animal meat and secretions they have some of my favorite vegan food stuffs. It's also in a great location on Granville in the middle of everything.

My favorite is the Huevos Rancheros, substituting tofu scramble for eggs and extra salsa rather than sour cream. Their regular tofu scramble is pretty awesome too.

While I prefer eating breakfast there I also enjoy their veggie BLT. I just ask for no mayo and put on lot of mustard('cause I love mustard). They do use honey in their salad dressing though, so I just get fries(not exactly a healthy meal, but it's good).

I also recommend the lentil loaf with garlic mashed potaoes and mushroom gravy.

Food aside, it's also a super cute diner with litte jukeboxes at the booths. Control the music for a quarter a song if you like. It's fun :)

Pros: Atmosphere, Affordable, Great location
Cons: serves animals, vegan options can seem limited
kimward8
kimward8

Not very many vegan options

2 Posted on 02 / 05 / 2012

I had read online that they had vegan pancakes, but was told that this is not true. I had the baked grapefruit and fried potatoes with mushroom gravy, as I was not hungry enough for the tofu scramble, the only other vegan option on the menu. They were both good, and the gravy was really good. I wouldn't go here if you wanted variety, but I would go here if looking for a vegan breakfast with omnivore friends when downtown.

Stevie
Stevie

The Templeton, Vancouver

4 Posted on 08 / 13 / 2010

I rocked in here for breakfast this am. Normally in writing a review I am inclined to mark down a place that isn't 100% vego based upon my core philosophical life values. I accept others can disagree with that but it certainly isn't something I am going to apologise for. Sometime though there are places that still score well and this is one.

It's open 7 days from 9 am to 11 pm except on Friday and Saturday nights when it's open til 1 am. Before you walk in there is a chalkboard outside in the street with the quote from the day. The place is in the format of a North American style diner. Underneath the glass on the tables are photos and postacrds from what looks like some sort of 1960s road trip.

I asked the waitress what I could have that was vegan vego friendly. I was immediately directed to the tofu scramble and also told that the farmer's breakfast could be done without cheese and eggs. I went for the tofu scramble, it comes served with toast and fried potatoes, very pleasant and decent value at $9 including tax.

It's located in the heart of the main area for bars and clubs in Vancouver on Granville St in the middle of downtown. The vibe of the place is great and if you are out and about in this part of town then it's defo worth a visit.

Pros: vegan vego friendly, Open long hours, Location & atmo
Cons: Not 100% vego

Dear Owner and Manager of The Tempelton: