Vegetarian tea and coffeehouse located in an historic turn of the century house at Byward Market. Offers over 100 teas and fair trade and organic coffees and a large variety of dishes. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Western, Organic, Indian, Bakery, Take-out
119 York St (Dalhousie St)
Ottawa, Ontario K1N 5T4
613-562-0352

Open Mon-Fri 10am-9pm, Sat 10am-8pm, Sun 10am-7pm.

First Review by dyani
josee.91
josee.91

Very accomodating

4 Posted on 11 / 26 / 2013

I went here for a high-tea type of outing with a non-veg friend. I mentioned being vegan when I arrived and the barista was very accommodating. He brought out the tray of sammies and deserts, half of them being vegan. He made sure to tell me which ones were which, he was really nice about it.

Pros: huge selection of tea, vegan food available, cozy enviroment
Cons: not many vegan options
maramat
maramat
  • non-vegetarian

Dirty and rude

2 Posted on 11 / 23 / 2013

The only reason I'm giving it two stars is because the website does not allow less than two for vegetarian restaurants. But this one does not sell vegetarian, it sells old, dry and expensive food!

My friends and I arrived there at 8.40 pm. The guy told us when we ordered that they run until 9 pm so, if we wanted anything after that time, he would serve it but to go. We all understood he meant if we ordered anything else.

The tea cups arrived. They were dirty on the inside, I assumed they had never been washed with proper dishwasher, as you could see a black / reddish coloured on the interior part, remained from other teas they served. It looked weird but we decided not to complain, afraid he would spit in our teas.

At 5 to 9 he shut down the music and came with "to go" cups and told us that they are closed now and we can take our drinks to go. I asked him why did they serve if they weren't willing to let us finish, and he answered back, telling me to be more careful next time and pay more attention to what he had to say. I asked him not to be condescending and he said he is sure he is. I told him he is rude and I want to make a complaint to the manager. He said he is the manager and I can consider my complaint submitted and just leave. I told him I will find a way to contact his bosses and place a review on the internet, which is the one you are reading now.

I had been there before, never too impressed. Food is dry and old, and very little, looking like it was prepared days before. Their chai-latte is terrible, other teas are old, but since it is one of few tea places in the market, I ended up back. But not this time. I would in fact like to complain to the authorities about their unwashed cups, since this is a heath-safety issue.

Cons: dirty, rude, condescending staff, terrible food, old tea
gwild
gwild

lots of tea

3 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2013

Went here for high tea. For about $13 each we got a scone sandwiches dessert and tea. They had an entire wall with many exotic teas. Located in an older home near the byward market. Funky atmosphere with friendly staff Food was ok but not outstanding.

Pros: lots of tea
Cons: food ok

dyani
dyani

Delicious food, tea, and a cool atmosphere!

5 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2012

Enjoyed a great afternoon of high tea with my sister. The vegetarian sandwiches, scones, and sweets were fresh and tasty! They also have a whole wall dedicated to over 150 different types of tea! Their coffee selection was as equally impressive... The atmosphere is very inviting, cozy, nicely decorated, and laid-back. Can't wait to return!

Pros: excellent food, great atmosphere, friendly staff

Dear Owner and Manager of The Tea Party: