The Tao of Tea

Tea shop and tearoom/restaurant next door to each other. Selling assorted fine teas, tea ware, snacks, light veggie food. Calming atmosphere with water fountain, plants, stones, wood. Prices cheap to moderate. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian

First Review by vegantrekker
Posi Britt
Posi Britt

I can't even.....

5 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2014

As a tea lover, someone who works in a tea shop, and someone who also has an online retail tea business, I can honestly say, this was the most beautiful tea house I have ever walked into.
I am such a tea nerd that I actively sought out this place because I was mostly hoping to gawk at their beautiful teaware I had seen online. I got so much more than that.
We decided to check this place out as a family one morning. We expected to go in, order a drink, look at the teaware , and go about our merry way. Instead we found out that it is divided into a tea house side, and a retail side.
The tea house side had me in awe as I walked in. I was literally speechless. Everything was perfect down to the last rustic detail on the tables. I could barely control my excitement. We realized we were in for a treat and that we would be taking a seat to fully enjoy the experience. And that we did. The tea menu was amazing and the service was just as good. I'm sure the lady serving us though I was an idiot because I felt like a star struck teen.
We finished our tea and headed for the retail side. Once again my head exploded. They sold everything I have only dreamed of or seen on distant, back corner websites on the internet. I left with a bag of tea and some gorgeous yixing cups, which I am currently enjoying tea out of as I type this.
Truly a place for nerdy tea connoisseurs!

Pros: Decor was beautiful, Tea menu was exotic and varied, Store held all my tea loving dreams
Cons: Not in Edmonton, Tea could be pricey if not prepared, That I can't give this 1 millions stars
mblack
mblack

Great atmosphere, yummy food

5 Posted on 09 / 12 / 2013

As a gluten free mostly vegan eater, I almost forgot about this place. I decided to try it again and was pleasantly surprised. While they don't have a lot of GF, everything on the menu is at least vegetarian to my recollection. The food is delicious and they have a huge selection of exotic teas. I love coming here as a treat for myself, by myself, on cold nights. The atmosphere transports me to a different place and time, reminding me of Indonesian travels.

Pros: Warm and cozy environment, Pleasant staff, Great food and teas
Gomi
Gomi

Wow! One of everything please!

5 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2013

Seriously good food and great tea! We really tried to order everything on the menu and only stopped when we were too full to continue. Everything was fantastic. Samosas reminiscent of my favorite indian restaurant in Japan. Tasty inari, potato flat bread, mango chutney... Oh the variety! I even went back the next day for a tin of their Jasmine tea, some wasabi peas and a vegan raspberry dessert bar for the road!

Pros: variety, taste
mindymvegan
mindymvegan

Great Selection of Tea!

4 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2013

There's an amazing selection of tea there and tea kettles. There is some food served in there with vegan options. I only went there for tea. :)

Pros: tea choices, tea accessories, food served
Chia
Chia

Tao of Tea

4 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow, and here's my The Tao of Tea review.

For my trip to Portland I had mapped out a string of restaurants I'd want to visit while here using the happycow restaurant guide, and this was one of them.

We had just eaten lunch at the Paradox Cafe across the street and walked across the street to the tea shop and tea room. I hadn't realize that the shop and the restaurant / tearoom were located in 2 separate spaces right next door to each other with separate entrances.

We browsed the shop and saw many beautiful ceramic tea ware imported from India. The shop has a rustic and artsy feel. The tea room/restaurant next door smelled wonderfully of Indian spices, like an Indian kitchen. Sure enough, we watched 2 men in the kitchen stirring pots. The food menu
features mostly small bites, food to go with tea, and light meals. Mostly Indian inspired. The aroma was great. There is a little fountain on one side and the tables are interesting with large stone pieces as backing - rustic, mellow, fragrant. We stayed for a brief moment before we moved on to our next engagement.

Worth checking out when in SE Portland.

• kindlizard kindlizard

thats good to know the SE location sounds very different than the one in NW. Next time in town, go to the Classical Chinese Garden, the Tao of Tea there is amazing. And next time, get some tea!!! It really was a worthwhile experience, full or not.

jamber79
jamber79

Nice!

4 Posted on 10 / 03 / 2011

This is a review for the location inside the chinese gardens. Very nice atmosphere, authentic tea house on the inside with views of the lovely gardens. You have to pay the garden entrance fee to get to the tea house, but the gardens are worth spending time in on their own. Tea was very good and they had lots of asian style snacks and light meals.

kindlizard
kindlizard

Location in Chinese Classical Garden, Relaxing

4 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2011

What a great idea to have a teahouse in the Classical Chinese Garden. We focused on the huge tea menu. I got a new fave tea there, an Oolong, which I am not typically a fan of. This was so delicate and delicious. Their dumplings are so delicious and healthy. We got several orders. They are garnished w goji berries!! First time for that. They might be our fave dumplings ever too, that is saying a lot. I would highly suggest the Gardens and teahouse. we felt the stress of the world melt away there, sipping tea and eating dumplings. Great spot!

Note: I have not been to the Belmont location, though I have seen it and thought about it. But I think it would be similar and great too. But the Gardens and house are great in Chinatown!!!
Updated from previous review on Sunday August 02, 2009

Pros: tea!!, dumplings!!!, relaxing
Took
Took

Good Vibes and Fine Asian Teas

4 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2011

I've had the Malty Assam (liked, but didn't love) and the Wenshan Baozhong (excellent). The Wenshan oolong was smooth and buttery, just as described. The waitress was kind enough to fill up my pot twice and bring me a to-go cup so I could take the last few steepings with me. I love the atmosphere at Tao of Tea. This is a wonderful place to go, solo, with a friend or partner.
Updated from previous review on Saturday February 26, 2011

Pros: peaceful atmosphere, good tea, friendly staff
Monique22
Monique22

My favorite spot...

5 Posted on 01 / 09 / 2010

Tao of Tea makes THE best hummus I've ever had. Since I'm gluten-free, they happily replace the pita bread with extra veggies. They have quite a veg menu for a tea house. Plus they have several different kinds of yerba mate' and many, many amazing tea selections. Friends of mine who aren't vegetarian were blown away by how good the food is.

rccourtney
rccourtney

great place

4 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2008

Good selection of vegan food in a teahouse. I was disappointed they didn't have soy ice cream but the food was great.

Pros: its a tea house, good selection
Cons: no soy ice cream
Tserisa
Tserisa

Relaxing, Beautiful Tea House

5 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2008

One of my favorite restaurants anywhere. Vegetarian and very vegan-friendly food from all the tea cultures of the world, and some other cultures besides. Definitely a "slow food" kind of place, a great restaurant to take your time at, and savor the experience. Their tea menu is many pages long, so if you like tea, you'll be in heaven at this place. My favorite dish is the miso flatbread, which can be a bit salty (it is miso, after all), but is absolutely divine with their dal du jour. If you ask for no raita (making the dish vegan) they often substitute extra dal, or some hummus. I love their salads, beautifully presented with fruit and a green tea vinaigrette. I haven't had a thing off the menu I didn't love.

Pros: atmosphere, tasty food, knowledgeable staff
Guest
Guest

Fabulous

5 Posted on 06 / 08 / 2007

So many teas, so many presentations. The staff are great. Very relaxed atmosphere. Don't go if you are in a rush. Plan to spend some time. Nice menu is all vegetarian. Many vegan options, although they are not labeled. The staff will always tell you if you don't know.

vegantrekker
vegantrekker

so many teas to choose from, and great food too!

5 Posted on 05 / 01 / 2007

This is the perfect place for a light supper or to relax over a pot of wonderful tea. The menu is entirely vegetarian and very vegan friendly, and they have a huge selection of fabulous teas. I like to take my 12-year old daughter here when we're out alone together.

Pros: excellent tea, relaxing atmosphere, all-vegetarian menu

Dear Owner and Manager of The Tao of Tea: