Operates only one evening out of People's Kitchen. The day's dish is cooked and served by volunteers, with payment by donation. Check website for its once-a-month cocktail "sigh night." Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, British, English

• Cash only

First Review by skinnydog
anarchistanimal
anarchistanimal

Awesome community space! Awesome food!

Posted on 07 / 29 / 2012

The volunteers at Sumac have made a brilliant community space, with books, music and tasty vegan food. We had a thali that was truly delicious, and rivalled the best Indian restaurants I've been to - at a fraction of the price. There's a real community spirit and strong radical and vegan politics. This is how to change the world. Definitely stop in and check it out!

Pros: Great space with real community, Tasty vegan food for little money, Building a real movement for change
becky8ball
becky8ball

Great atmosphere

Posted on 06 / 16 / 2012

We went to the Nottingham Picnic at The Sumac Centre last weekend and had a wonderful time. The atmosphere was great, everyone was friendly and the bar is non-profit so the prices are very reasonable. We're heading back this evening for a fundraiser dinner and intend to become members of the social club.

Pros: Great atmosphere, Reasonable prices, totally vegan!
NorthernSeafox
NorthernSeafox

Healthy food served by volunteers

Posted on 04 / 13 / 2008

The Saturday night feats here are legendary. Loads of salad, plus curry, pasta bake, or whatever else the duty chef decided to cook. Huge portions guaranteed, and kids and dogs are welcome. Bear in mind though that the Sunday morning fry ups are sometimes suspended for a while due to lack of volunteers, and that the centre is sometimes booked out for weekend conferences. What that happens, you might have to stand in a queue of 50 people and struggle to get a table. If in doubt, check the website or give them a call.

Pros: Best value food in town, Interesting, friendly place, Ethically-sourced food
Cons: In a residential area, not c centre, Only one main meal option each week

skinnydog
skinnydog

Needs supporting!

Posted on 01 / 20 / 2008

Sumac is voluntary run so I'm up for supporting it whenever I'm in Notts. Bit of a trek from town, but while you're there why don't you see if anything needs doing e.g. cleaning and tidying? You can feel you've added to the running of this great activist social center. It's a shame us outsiders want to help more than the trendy local activists.

• Beating-Drum Beating-Drum

I get regular newsletters from Sumac and each time I read them I am inspired by the marvellousness of the place. On the rare occasions I have been there I think I MUST go there more often and support such an A1 place. The last time I did go there the music put me off because it was so loud it made it impossible to listen/talk to anyone and I love my ears and do not want them destroyed. I work quite often when they are offering such good stuff but I shall make it my business to go there within the month.

Dear Owner and Manager of The Sumac Cafe: