A small food stand offering a large menu with soups, salads, bowls, sandwiches, burritos, tamales, cookies, and fresh squeezed juices including wheatgrass. Situated just south of main beach. Parking on street or in lot next to its patio area. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Juice bar, American, Fast food, Mexican, Take-out
238 Thalia St (Pacific Coast Hwy 1, Orange County)
Laguna Beach, California 92651
949-494-8101

Open Mon-Sun 7am-7pm.

First Review by Island Hopper
AmeliaC
AmeliaC

Simple, Fresh, Delish

5 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2014

The only all-vegan restaurant in Laguna that's not a commitment away sits on the corner of Thalia and PCH 101, a quick jaunt from the beach. The reviews previous to mine are on point- no fake meats or cheeses, a robust selection and lovely outdoor seating. I ordered the avocado sandwich on English muffin white the husband enjoyed a burrito stuffed with beans, pico, avocado, and a myriad of other veggies. I doctored up my sandwich from the array of fixings available at the counter and dig in. The bread was fresh and warm, the veggies crisp and lively. A great, refreshing option in Laguna and the one place that doesn't require a series of verbal acrobats to ensure your meal is cruelty-free.

Pros: all vegan, super fresh
DVegan
DVegan

Simple And Tasty

5 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2014

The Stand has a huge selection of vegan food. It tastes very fresh and home cooked. I liked how simple yet tasty it was. Conveniently located close to the beach and PCH. I highly recommend the veggie burger, it's delicious. It is rather big though, so if you want a smaller meal, all of the bowls are really good, too.

Pros: Huge Selection, All Vegan, Relaxed Atmosphere
Cons: Limited Outdoor Seating
Moneyz
Moneyz

All Fruits And Veggies.

5 Posted on 06 / 15 / 2014

A lot of vegan restaurants rely on faux meats etc. Not this place! I was awesome seeing so many options that were faux meat free. I had there totally tortilla soup which was great, I also tried their miso veggie soup which was subtle and yummy. Then I had their tamale with beans, and that was also wonderful. To drink I had their fresh watermelon juice, that too was wonderful. The staff was very friendly, they let me sample the soups before I bought any, and the service was very quick. I would definitely come here again, especially because it is like a 5 minute walk to the beach. Oh ya and their portions are nice and big!

Pros: Friendly Staff, Beach Near By, Very Fast And Yummy!

Bgilly
Bgilly

One Of The Best Vegan Spots In OC

5 Posted on 05 / 25 / 2014

Hard to go wrong here. Delicious, real foods. Friendly staff too.

Pros: Taste, Selection, Happiness
Kelseysilla
Kelseysilla

yummy food!

5 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2014

Went with my non-veg parents who were saying they didn't want vegan food, took them here without telling them it was vegan and they ended up saying they would eat vegan meals a few times a week :)
Food was good. It has soups, salads, sandwiches, burritos, tamales. Good veggie burgers!
They also have home made apple juice and orange juice which was really good. Great smoothies!

Pros: lots of different options, great for lunch
albert589
albert589

A True Original

5 Posted on 03 / 15 / 2014

They have been there so long, it seems like they have always been there. Over the years, their customer base has skyrocketed, but the quality has never been compromised, and the owner knows his stuff, the staff as well. Quick service for such a large menu. They let you taste all the soups too, to make sure you are happy. Homemade, perfect vegan food. I started going there twice a day when I lived in Laguna. Going back for a vacation next week, and I will drive straight there! Hummus bowl, yes!

catmk
catmk

Loved it

5 Posted on 08 / 24 / 2013

I really enjoyed The Stand during my trip to California. The prices are reasonable, it's right on the beach, and the food is healthy and tasty. I tried the guacamole and hummus sandwich, as well as the veggie salad. I only wish that I had been in Laguna longer so I could have gone back!

Pros: healthy food, nice loaction, 100% vegan
Chia
Chia

Nice find

4 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow, and here's my The Stand review.

It's a nice find for this area - all vegan booth "stand" place offering a large menu of all sorts plus fresh juices. We ordered the tamales topped with guacamole, and that was good. Definitely cool for this area.

Pros: cozy, all vegan, many choices
Cons: few outdoor seats only
VeganMusicMan
VeganMusicMan

So good...

5 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2012

I've been going here since the early 80s...love it! Just today I had the tamale plate with rice, beans, salsa and guacamole...delicious and filling. And quite reasonably priced as well.

kglaguna
kglaguna

True Laguna...

5 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2012

This is where Laguna locals eat...daily. The food is always good, staff are friendly and the prices are very reasonable. Anything with the guacamole is a must. The Totally Tortilla soup is my favorite with the split pea a close second. Vegan or not, you'll love the food!

Pros: Great Selection, Tasty food, Reasonable prices
Cons: Parking
Rich Revell
Rich Revell

#1 Vegan in Laguna Beach

5 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2012

My favorite vegan spot in Laguna Beach. Extensive menu. 100% vegan. Fantastic selection. Take out or eat in. Great food.

Pros: 100% Vegan, Extensive Menu, Funky
Cons: Only outdoor seating
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

its all about the potato tacos and burritos

5 Posted on 09 / 05 / 2011

I heave been dieing to get to The Stand for years and finally made it on a pit stop to San Diego. Its a cute little corner old time food stand with outdoor only seating. There is free parking on the premises.

They have a huge selection of food! We were immediately drawn to the potato filling options. They steam red potatoes and they are amazing inside both the taco and burrito. I wish I had that option closer to home!

Pros: potato filling, healthy food, cute place
Cons: only outdoor seating (few bad weather days in, soft serve is just salty fruit
FrozenBanana11
FrozenBanana11

BEST VEGAN EATERY AROUND

5 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2010

I live in Eugene, where there are a lot of vegan and vegetarian restaurants. On my vacation to Laguna Beach, Ca, I ate at the Stand numerous times and loved the food. BEST SELECTION OF YUMMY VEGAN FOOD I'VE EVER SEEN!! I could have picked just about anything on the menu and been happy. I took one of their menus back to Oregon with me so I could try to recreate some of their dishes.

novackofo
novackofo
  • raw

A Vegan Tradition Still Going Strong - Best in OC

5 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2010

I have been a customer of The Stand since the 1960's. it was originally a stand, literally, for just smoothies and avocado sandwiches. The Cycle shop next door was a vegetarian restaurant and was really great. They closed and the Stand emerged as a full fledged vegan restaurant. The owner, Edward, is a long time advocate of veganism and animal rights. He is also a great humanitarian and I love t o talk to him about those issues.

The food is always fresh and delicious. He never misses a beat and always has the most organic and freshest fruits and vegetables around. The ambiance is peaceful, tranquil and very clean. The people that dine at the Stand are usually repeat customers and are always greeted with a friendly "Hello!" by Edward and his staff.

There are so many great choices at the stand but I always get my favorite which is 8 ounces each of beans, rice and steamed vegetables and 4 ounces of salsa. Their freshly squeezed juices is the best too. OH!!! For desert, get their soft serve fruit. 100% fruit, nothing else, it is amazing......

You won't find anywhere in California with the choices of freshly made vegetable juices and fruit smoothies than the Stand. They are open early in the morning too and you can see the people lined up for their wheat grass juice and vegetable juices and either fruit or granola with hemp milk.

There is no place like the Stand and if you are vegan and haven't been there, you must go. If you are not a vegan, try their delicious tamales and bowls, sandwiches and soups and many more great items. You will learn a lot too if you talk to Edward about veganism. I have been going there for almost a half of a century and I hope to continue into the next half..... I am a vegan and have never been to the doctor and feel like I am 25......

Pros: fresh, organic, delicious
Sammy
Sammy

Liked it, didn't love it!

3 Posted on 01 / 30 / 2010

Yum! I liked my burger. I would recommend this place as it does nice food even if the server struggled to understand my British accent. Toilets in a strange location!

monktile
monktile

Looks are deceiving, this place is awesome

4 Posted on 10 / 13 / 2009

This place looks like a stoned surfer hangout but is really an amazing vegetarian joint in disguise. No one's in a huge hurry there, so don't expect fast food speed, rather take the time to enjoy the cool ocean breeze (the beach is just across the road and down a hill).
The soups are great, especially the amazing lentil soup. Definitely ask for the soup to be HOT - the laid back staff serve the soup lukewarm more often than not.
The sandwiches are good, some of them not as tasty. I recommend the hummus guacamole sandwich, which has plenty of taste and is really filling. The corn chips they make on site that come with the sandwiches are very good.
The smoothies aren't frozen, so they aren't particularly refreshing, but very healthy nevertheless. The sorbet-ish (but 100% fruit) frozen fruit however, is amazing... definitely recommend trying that.

Pros: amazing soups and sandwiches, laidback, no dress code, allows dogs, cheap
Cons: pretty slow , sometimes long lines, what happens when it rains?!
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

I Really Liked This Place. ;)

5 Posted on 02 / 27 / 2009

I really liked this place and had a lovely lunch here! I got a popular wrap; I believe it was the hummus and guacamole wrap? It was so good that I couldn't believe it. I'll admit I was apprehensive about going here since it's a stand, but whoa, it's so good. Try one of their peanut butter cookies too, they are mighty tasty! Beautiful patio as well.

HeatherRenee
HeatherRenee

I love The Stand

5 Posted on 09 / 24 / 2008

I used to go to The Stand all the time when I lived in Laguna, tons of variety for Vegans, and tasty enough to bring my meat eating friends without them complaining at me for the meals not having any meat in them.
Good sandwiches and wraps.

awebaby
awebaby

The Stand is a wonderful place!

5 Posted on 08 / 26 / 2007

I just wanted to disagree about the salads being bland and over priced. the salads are a great deal bigger than they look and are not your usual salads with a bunch of lettuce and a few tomatoes or a little bit of lettuce and not much else. They are big you will be amazed if you put the bigger salads in a bowl (they come on a paper plate which makes them look small as everything is packed in there) and they are chock - chunks of tomatoes - sprouts cucumbers etc. - there are many kinds - some topped with hummus some with guacamole - some have rice in them - some with bean pate etc. - they taste great to me. There are plenty of spices on the tables including Spike and braggs if you are not happy with the taste. You will meet lots of cool people there too! No - I am not the owners daughter - yes I do know him - I lived in the town a long time and in those days everyone knew each other. It was a great gathering spot. Highly recommended

Pros: tasty, healthy, friendly
Cons: limited seating
Veganmilitant
Veganmilitant

Simple Vegan Food

4 Posted on 06 / 27 / 2007

The food tastes really natural and homemade. The best deals are half sandwhich combos and the 1.95 taco with chips. The 100% fruit soft serve is also really tasty. Theres no soy or fake meat products, but they have a good selection of differnt kinds of meals.
Also, the salads are bland and overpriced.

Pros: wheat grass shots
Cons: sexist owner, over-priced
  • awebaby awebaby

I think the stand is amazing! I lived in Laguna for 25 years and I still eat there whenever I visit which is pretty often.

I just wanted to disagree about the salads being bland and over priced. the salads are a great deal bigger than they look and are not your usual salads with a bunch of lettuce and a few tomatoes or a little bit of lettuce and not much else. They are big you will be amazed if you put the bigger salads in a bowl (they come on a paper plate which makes them look small as everything is packed in there) and they are chock - chunks of tomatoes - sprouts cucumbers etc. - there are many kinds - some topped with hummus some with guacamole - some have rice in them - some with bean pate etc. - they taste great to me. There are plenty of spices on the tables including Spike and braggs if you are not happy with the taste. Highly recommended

Island Hopper
Island Hopper

Vegan Paradise

5 Posted on 03 / 09 / 2007

What a treat to find this little treasure. An extensive all vegan menu with a very friendly and caring staff. You can't go wrong with any choice on this menu. Sandwiches, pitas, tamales, burritos, soups, salads, dressings, waffles, treats, fresh squeezed juices, smoothies, shakes, etc, etc. It's all here, it's all vegan and it's all good. Overwhelmed by the big menu and not sure what you want? Ask the staff, they are more than willing to help. Limited outdoor seating only; but it is a little off of PCH on Thalia so at least it's reasonably quiet. Don't forget to pack a couple of quarters for the parking meter. After you're done eating head across PCH and hit the beach!

Pros: Quality, Selection, Staff

Dear Owner and Manager of The Stand: