The Sprout

Cosy place with live music some times. Menu features soups, salads, main courses, sandwiches, and filling veggieburgers. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Beer/Wine

First Review by spidey
Kasper
Kasper

Great Little Place

5 Posted on 07 / 10 / 2014

I am vegan and my wife is vegan/gf. This is a little piece of heaven for people worried about eating out and having your dietary requirements met. We couldn't decide on what to have for dessert so we bought it all! Highly recommended.

Pros: Lots of Choices , Great Prices , Friendly Staff
MarciaM
MarciaM

Really good

4 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2012

My hubby and I spent 5 days in NL this spring. Found SPROUTS and dined there 3 times. Great food and service.

Pros: Veg, Great staff, Quaint
Cons: Parking
apophenia
apophenia

Decent food but terrible service

2 Posted on 06 / 12 / 2012

After weeks on the road we were looking forward to eating at Sprout as my partner is vegan and I love vegan food, and I have to give them stars for a cute location and decent (not great) food. Sadly the service wasn't just inattentive, but openly rude, which I don't understand. They were slow, and ignored us when we asked them for things; to be honest, and I'm saying this as someone whose job includes eating at and reviewing restaurants, this was just about the worst service I have ever had. Never again, and I would advise people to not bother, but instead seek out the fair options among the Indian and Asian restaurants in town.

Pros: decent food , vegetarian in a tough town
Cons: rude service, slow
FeliciaMacKinnon
FeliciaMacKinnon

good food to warm the sole

4 Posted on 12 / 07 / 2011

I moved to st johhs for school and had herd about the sprout. So I waited till my partner (9 year veg) flew in for the weekend to take him there. We were so impressed, we went for brunch and were over whelmed by the flavors. He had the chillie with sharp chedar cheese yum and I had a breakfadt combo with eggs, potatos, tost, and sprouts. Everything was wonderful and tasty a welcomed treat for a fishing province. It is a must visit, anyone can enjoy.

Pros: well priced, healthy choices, flavor
Cons: a bit of a wait, slow service
veganshmegan
veganshmegan

amazing place

5 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2010

I ate here on my recent trip to Saint John's and was truly impressed. I was surprised to find a vegetarian restaurant of such quality nestled in the heart of a small centuries old fishing town. I had the veggie delight I think, which was a relatively simple dish comprised of roasted potatoes, mushroom gravy, and beet and carrot strings. I added baby spinach to it as well for a small additional charge. It was fantastic, and hardy enough to sate me after a couple of hours of hiking around the coast. This place is not completely vegan, but it does clearly label its vegan options with a heart which makes them easy to identify and limits questions to a minimum. The price for most entrees is around 10 Canadian, which isn't bad for quality veg food, but isn't necessarily cheap either, not for me anyway. The interior seemed nice and cozy but we opted for the outdoor seating because it was such a beautiful today. The patio is a bit small so you might have to wait for a table to open up, but in my opinion it is definitely worth it. The staff was friendly and helpful, but sometimes the service seems to lag a little bit. This is more of an observation than a criticism; overall I had a fantastic experience. I was with my girlfriend's family most of the time, all locals and none of which are vegetarian or vegan and they love the food there. This isn't just a must visit for vegetarians and vegans, it's a must for anyone visiting Saint John's.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, reasonable prices
Cons: expensive for me

HorrorHippie
HorrorHippie

Miso Happy

4 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2010

Living about an hour outside of St. John's, I've been hearing about The Sprout for a long time before I finally got to try it. And I was not disappointed.

Excellent meals and desserts. Friendly service. Very affordable. Comfy atmosphere. The kind of place you'll try more than once, no question about it.

The only slightly negative thing I have to say is that the staff, while very friendly and helpful, tend to get caught up talking to their friends who happen to stop by quite often, and delay the service a tad.

Other than that, a definite recommend.
Plus it's the only 100% veg restaurant in the city of St. John's.
So next time you're around town, I recommend stopping by The Sprout.

Pros: Great choices, Cozy setting, Easy to find
Cons: medium-slowish sevice at times, Closed on Mondays
reimer74
reimer74

Wish I'd had more time

5 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2010

Absolutely loved the vibe in this place. Had a friend with me that is not veg-friendly whatsoever, so I got my order to go and we got her a to-go order from elsewhere and then went to eat at a park. I had the tofu/veg stir fry w/ brown rice -- amazing! The vegan raspberry brownies sounded like heaven, but I'm watching calories. If I would have eaten-in, I'm certain I would have given in and had one by the end. The staff was friendly and very helpful in making a decision when I wasn't acquainted with their house dishes (and I'd been craving good tofu for a while on this trip). Will definitely be back on my next trip to St. John's! :)

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff
Cons: none
dairyfreebetty
dairyfreebetty

A little drawer...

5 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2010

We went to The Sprout after weeks of being excited to visit! We got a lovely window seat with the sun shinning in. The restaurant is super cute and the wait staff were amazingly friendly. We ordered our food (Chili, Olive tapenade sandwich) and while we were waiting I noticed a little drawer in our table, with little love notes! So cute! (I added one too!)

The food was great - tons of options for dairy free people such as myself!! I got a vegan brownie to go, and it was to die for.

Only complaint is they didn't come back to our table after our meal was served and I had to bring my left overs up to the counter when we went to get the bill.

Overall great experience though, I wish we had most time in St. John's to eat here again! 2 of us ate + a brownie for under $20.

Pros: Food selection, Healthy, prices
Cons: slow service
shirley1
shirley1

awsome food

5 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2009

I recently visited Newfoundland and thank goodness for "The Sprout." It is truly an oasis in a province of deep fried everything !. Outside of St John's there is nothing to eat for a vegan.Thank goodness for the the suitcase of food i took with me.You will not find fruit or veg and heaven forbid a grain or tofu .
I went to the sprout 2 and took the black bean burrito $7.75 and the "Olive it" a sandwich of sundried tomato and olive tapanade for the plane ride home.$6.25.
I was only in St John's for 2 days . The day I arrived and the day I left and it was the only hot meal I had in a week.
The black bean chili was sooo tasty, the miso soup was full of chunky veg and delicious .The noodle bowl was yummy and so was the pad thai . My husband had the chickpea curry and he was pleasantly surprised . I do not like coconut so I did not try it.
It was a delightful place to eat.The staff were friendly and helpful .
A MUST VISIT .

Pros: excellent food, healthy, big portions
Cons: none, none, none
stellatrout
stellatrout

Delicious, Fresh, Friendly

5 Posted on 03 / 16 / 2009

A welcome spot in a beautiful city with few vegetarian options.

Great location, friendly service, delicious food.
Fills up fast but take away (with returnable containers) an option.
Recommend highly and not just because it is the only vegetarian restaurant in the City -- my omnivorous family members love it too.

Pros: Well located for walking
Cons: Parking pretty limited
Cappy How
Cappy How

yummy yummy in my tummy

4 Posted on 09 / 07 / 2008

I have been eattin tofu for about 10 years now and have never had a tastier batch than this. It is sooo freakin good, it completly surpasses any flavor that i have made or any other resturant has made. This is a beautiful little gem, i would take a trip back to Newfoundland just to eat there again. The only con about this place is that it will not fit in my suitcase to bring back home!!!!!*

Minerva
Minerva

Lovely & Unique

5 Posted on 11 / 20 / 2007

The cows that decorate the brightly-coloured walls are not only funky, but also serve as a reminder that most of us veggies have a lot of love and respect for bovines of the world.
The Sprout has amazing food (I enjoyed a massive bowl of chili and a simple but delicious salad, while my friend ate a tasty noodle dish) and very kind servers.
Its downtown location made planning easy - after our yummy meal we simply strolled down the street to the theatre for a concert. Definitely a perk of visiting St. John's!

Pros: Scrumptious, Healthful, Cheerful
Cons: Closed on Mondays
spidey
spidey

great!

5 Posted on 07 / 24 / 2006

i visited this place right before having to leave. Its great! I had the miso soup right there and ordered a Bravocado sandwich (for my plane ride) and the pad thai for breakfast the next morning. The sandwich was really good and filling, the pad thai had a ton of flavors going all at once. The people that helped us were awesome, very friendly just like everyone in newfoundland, hopefully there's another fish conference there so i can go back, i only wish i could have gone a few more times while i was there :(

Pros: Great service, Great food, Great value

Dear Owner and Manager of The Sprout: