Soups, burgers, salad rolls, panini, curries, dals, snacks, cookies and sweets. Also parathas on Mondays, Indian street food on Fridays. Food made in-house is vegetarian and vegan except the dairy creamer for coffee and also bee pollen for smoothies. Sells chocolates and lollies which contain gelatin for the doctors across the street. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Western, Australian

First Review by AdrianaBellemans
Vgan
Vgan

Evening option

4 Posted on 02 / 16 / 2014

While Hobart has several places where vegetarians and vegans can get lunch, evening meals are a problem. So three cheers for Soup Stop, which has extended its hours. From October to March it is open from 8.30am to 3.30pm and 5.30pm to 8.30pm, Monday to Friday, and 5.30 to 8.30 on Saturdays. The very friendly owners are happy to accommodate vegans, and even bake their own cakes because they could not find a baker in Hobart who could provide egg-free ones. By the way, after the Veg or non-veg posting below, they checked all their confectionery stock, and insist everything they sell is now vegetarian or vegan. Strongly recommended.

Pros: vegan-aware, very friendly
Veglover77
Veglover77

Great Indian Vegan and Vege food

4 Posted on 01 / 10 / 2014

We visited this place last night. Very clean and tasty food. The friendly "Mother and Daughter" cooking team were attentive and looked after us. Lots of smiles

terryc131
terryc131

best vegetarian food in Hobart

5 Posted on 01 / 08 / 2014

Not just Soup. Clean,delicious well presented meals. Well priced and prepared with care and dedication. The owners are very friendly and obliging, only need to ask and they will do all in their power to fulfill your needs.
For a great vegetarian or vegan experience at a very reasonable price you cannot go past the Soup Stop. Love the food, love the people. Terry C.

Pros: Clean and caring, Great food,, great price
Cons: Needs to be bigger

JayBeeGeeBee
JayBeeGeeBee

Delicious and different for Hobart.

5 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2013

I had lunch at the Soup Stop today. The owners were very friendly, and knowledgeable about vegetarian nutrition. Many items are vegan, or can be made vegan. ALL the food made in house is pure vegetarian.

I had a thali - 2 lovely curries, salad, raita, rice and pappadum, and a coconut dessert ball. All very fresh and made to order.

I also had a sensational Kashmiri cardamom and almond tea, perfect in some awful rainy weather.

I bought another serve of todays Punjabi chana curry for my partner, along with a chilli and carom seed prantha AND a mango/mint/ginger lassi - all were delicious and freshly made. The curries change from day to day, and there are soups ready to take away. I'll be back for sure!

Pros: Pure veg., Different Indian flavours for Hobart, Friendly staff.
Cons: Nil.
fearless
fearless

Vego or not-vego

2 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2013

Upon arrival at the Soup Stop the overall feel of the place was reasonably good and we were happy to find it was open on a public holiday when some of the other places on Happy Cow were not.
However, the big problem was when I observed some jelly lollies on the benchtop while considering my order. Taking a closer look around I realised they were stocking chocolates that have gelatin in them (e.g. Cherry Ripes) - see pictures. For this reason alone I would not call the establishement vegetarian.

We did still eat there as the other vego places were closed. We limited our dishes to vegan options. This ensured we weren't consuming cream/yoghurt that may have gelatin or cheeses that have animal rennet. The food itself was quite tasty, although it seems a lot there is microwaved so it wasn't overly fresh.

For those who are vegetarian and want dishes with dairy, I highly suggest you request to see the ingredients list of their cream, etc. I have contacted Vegetarian Australia regarding this issue and they will follow it up at their next meeting.

Pros: not vegetarian, used the microwave a lot
Cons: well priced, some dishes were quite nice
TasNN
TasNN

It's that good!

5 Posted on 02 / 15 / 2013

After lurking on Happy Cow for years, Soup Stop is the place that's compelled me to sign up and start reviewing. It's that good!

Went in specifically for Indian Street Food (Friday night special) - the menu sounded amazing, and the food definitely didn't disappoint. Everything was really yummy, and my two non-vegie table mates agreed.

Looking at the menu, everything looks to be vegetarian but there's plenty of vegan meals to choose from as well. In fact, they make a point of naming up that there are Vegan options available for a pretty good number of the veg menu items as well.

Everything we ordered seemed to be cooked to order, but quite quick to come out and incredibly tasty. Could not fault the food at all, it was everything I was hoping it would be.

The place is impeccably clean, and the service is really, really relaxed and friendly. Not sure if it's a family run business, but it definitely had that vibe about it.

Small dining room, but there were a comfortable number of people in when we were there. If it was ever as busy as it deserves to be, it'd fill up pretty quickly though. The evening opening hours are pretty limited, but as long as you know you have to get in early, it's manageable (and it's worth working around, believe me).

Can't wait to go back, hoping to make it a Monday for Parathas! Highly recommended.
Updated from previous review on Friday February 15, 2013

Pros: Great food, Excellent value, Friendly service
Cons: Small dining room, Limited evening opening hours
AdrianaBellemans
AdrianaBellemans

Yummy flavours

5 Posted on 09 / 22 / 2012

I had a delicious lentil salad & a cauliflower bread thingy when I tried out the vegan options.
We also had some of the Friday specials for takeaway. Spring roll, pakora, samosa, curry & a semolina dessert.
Very friendly owners, authentic Indian flavours & a good selection of vegan options. Other choices are vegetarian containing yoghurt & cheese.
Defintely worth a visit. Ask what they have available as they prefer to cook up fresh rather than leave things sitting in the bain marie - always a plus for me.
Good selection of soups on offer as well.

Pros: tasty food, welcoming & friendly staff, affordable choices

Dear Owner and Manager of The Soup Stop: