The Sleepless Goat

Serves meat, veg options available. A worker's cooperative cafe offering some vegetarian food, plus fair trade coffee and desserts including vegan (only breakfast pushes meat and dairy and egg dishes). Music some nights. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, International, Organic, Non-veg
91 Princess St (Wellington)
Kingston, Ontario
613-545-9646

Open Mon 7am-6pm, Tue-Thur 7am-10pm, Fri 7am-11pm, Sat 8am-11pm, Sun 8am-10pm.

• Cash only

First Review by jeejee0
JK
JK

Starving?

2 Posted on 02 / 12 / 2012

It is hard to find a vegan place to eat in Kingston anymore...
They have salads and snacks behind the counter that change all the time and some vegan baked goods. I got the burger vegan-style, but found the patty (made with good things like hemp and sunflower seeds) fell apart, was greasy and did not have much flavour. There was also way too much mustard on the bun, the same mustard used to make the very sour salad dressing. I love salad, but could not finish this one (the first time I have ever thrown away food). The walnuts and cranberries were a nice touch, but the dressing seemed like an oil-free mustard and vinegar - yuk!!!

Pros: Somewhere to eat, Licensed , Lively Atmosphere
Cons: No Table Service, Pricey for the Quality, Not very good food
Petesternz
Petesternz

Not bad at all...

4 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2011

I think the previous review is generally on target. This place is a good stop for vegans, but nothing to go out of the way for - with one exception. The double fudge chocolate cookie (vegan) was outstanding, one of the best cookies I've ever had, actually, and brings this place overall from three to four cows. As for the mains, they are not brimming with vegan options, but there are choices available. I liked the burger, and the shepherd's pie was solid. Overall, everything we had was good, the service was good and the place had a great vibe. Topped off with a fantastic cookie!

Pros: cookie!, decor, fair pricing
jedzen
jedzen

Not my type.

3 Posted on 04 / 01 / 2010

I had a quick breakfast there with my boyfriend because i saw here that they were veg-friendly. There was not a lot of vegan options for breakfast, they had a lot of eggs. But we finally ordered and my boyfriend decided to have to special vegan breakfast : there was rice/quinoa, potatoes, and toasts. Not bad, but we were not crazy about it. Still we were happy to eat something vegan. I ordered the granola and asked soy milk instead of yogourt. The granola was actually oat flakes and defrozen fruits. My berries were still a bit frozen, in fact, and very watering. I was a bit disappointed. Anyway the service was ok and the cafe in itself was not terrible. I can understand why people from around go there. Maybe their other options are better, and maybe meat eaters and vegetarians are pleased with the food the serve, i can't say because i havent tasted. But as a traveler, and as a vegan, i don't think i would go back if i'm in Kingston again.

Ken4057
Ken4057

Wish I'd spent more time here while at Queen's

4 Posted on 12 / 08 / 2009

Whenever I go through Kingston I tend to stop in here, as it consistently offers decent, cheap, homemade-style vegan options, despite its changing menu and staff.

Yes, it can get grungy at times as one reviewer said, but with such a bohemian atmosphere, that's kinda the point.

Last time I had a thick, dark, saucy, pad thai-ish dish with huge, filling chunks of tofu that was fanTASTic and totally unique. Massive meal for under $10. I'm hungry just thinking about it.

SunflowerM
SunflowerM

Great Food but Disappointing in all other ways

1 Posted on 10 / 25 / 2009

This used to be one of my fav restaurants. The food is wonderful for the most part. Kickin' Quesadillas are one of my favourites and if you are smart you will leave room for one of their incredible desserts.
BUT... and this is a huge but.... the place is a mess. Dirty, untidy, and the washrooms are horrible. In fact the men's washroom door was missing for over 2 weeks! It makes me wonder if guests are reluctant to use the washrooms because of uncleanliness and lack of door, what do the staff do?
Speaking of staff, while there are a few gems, most of the staff are uncaring, rude and lacking in initative. On our last visit (after a number of unsatisfying visits) we tried to order dinner but was told that no dinner meals could be ordered until 5:00 p.m. So we sat down and waited and at 5 we went back to the counter to order. At that point we were told that the chef had taken her dog for a walk and wasn't back yet and so we would have to wait until we saw her return before we could order! ???
Needless to say we left and have never returned as it was pretty obvious that they didn't want our business...

Pros: Food, Desserts, Artwork on walls
Cons: Filth, Staff, washrooms
SheehyDevil
SheehyDevil

Love it

4 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2009

I go there almost everyday for lunch. I've been there a couple of times for breakfast and dinner as well and have never been disappointed.
I normally get the Black Bean Burrito and it is amaxing. The deserts are awesome as well. The staff are attentive and friendly and are willing to offer up suggestions or provide alterations for personal preferences.
The walls are covered with very interesting pieces from what I assume to be local artists, which are constantly changing.
Lots of seating, so it's not normally hard to get a table if you choose to stick around (I normally have to get back to work though :)
If you dine in, everything is composted, I also enjoy that everything is self-serve, you order at the counter and finda seat, and then clear the table when you're done. Everything is composted (as much as possible) it takes the formality out of dining out when that's what you desire.
Try the orange blossum tea! It's the best!

Pros: Food, Staff, Atmosphere
Cons: Not 100% Veg
Lydia
Lydia

Great food, awful staff

4 Posted on 09 / 17 / 2008

I absolutely love the Goat. While I lived in Kingston, I was there many times a week. As mentioned before, their Toggen Burger is fabulous (although I did have a few less desireable ones... so I guess it's hit or miss), their house salad is delish and most definitly try the soup (great if you are a poor student as I was!). It changes every day, but always comes with a thick slice of home made bread. I think it's about $3.50 for the soup and bread. They also have wonderful local teas, excellent coffee and exceptional desserts (my favorites are their vegan brownie, vegan cheese cakes and the lemon squares - YUMMY!). I also love that all of thier take away containers are biodegradable. The only problem is the staff. Although there are a few gems, most are quite grumpy and rude. Overall, my smile doesn't fade because I know that delicious treats are on their way! ps. I would have rated this a 5 cow, but because it it a "non-vegetarian" restaurant, I can't :(

Pros: Great food, Cozy atmosphere, Excellent prices
Cons: THE STAFF!!
Sophia_
Sophia_

....

3 Posted on 09 / 26 / 2007

Desserts are to die for!!! The mint chocolate cheesecake is amazing a little too rich but oh so good! The (i forget what its called) but it has white and milk chocolate mousse sanwhiched between 2 walnut cookie/cake things. One of the best desserts I've ever had. The main courase are a bargain big servings for the price, but the food is so-so. And the staff are cranky, dirty and rude. The atmosphere is ok, and its always very busy, and its very dirty. Buts its worth it for there amazing dessert selection and taste!

Pros: Best cakes in town, good selection, neat drinks and good coffee
Cons: dirty, and small, desserts non labeled, you have to ask, most employees r rude
jeejee0
jeejee0

Cool place

4 Posted on 09 / 19 / 2007

The Goat is a Kingston staple. Very chill atmosphere, very diverse clientele. The food is all good, the desserts in particular are incredible - expensive but worth it once in a while.

It's more of a cafe than a restaurant, with little tables crammed everywhere. There are a few nice booths though if you're lucky enough to snag one. The artwork on the walls changes regularly to showcase local talent which is really cool.

I don't find it's that great a place to go to for a sit-down meal, but it's perfect if you want to pop in and pick up some delicious food to eat while walking downtown. They have a lot of premade stuff like a mushroom-cheese pastry thing I used to get all the time.

I find it kind of bizarre that they are almost completely vegetarian but not quite. So in a way I'm not really sure it should even be listed here, much as I love the place. That, the fact that they accept cash only, and that it's often impossible to get a table because it's so popular, are the only real downsides.

Pros: Cool vibe, Great desserts, Good food
Cons: Not completely vegetarian, Hard to get a table, Cash only

Dear Owner and Manager of The Sleepless Goat: