Serves meat, veg options available. Vegan menu items include wings, hummus, chili, tacos, jackfruit bbq sandwich, vegan breakfast burrito, vegan meatball sub, tofu scramble, soy rizo. Has vegan cheese and chorizo for more vegan choices such as the nachos. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

kaduhacissej
kaduhacissej

Luuurrrrve

Posted on 08 / 03 / 2015

I effing love this place. First, do not expect to eat healthy here: Go to SoBro Cafe or Ezra's for that. If you want to stuff some greasy vegan bar food down your gullet, The Ship is your place. Things I have eaten and wanted to put more of in my mouth: vegan chili dogs, sack of balls (VEGAN DONUT BALLS!!!), seitan gyro, thai seitan salad (I know, I said nothing healthy here, but I wouldn't call this salad healthy), and seitan wings. They also have brunch from 11-3 or something on Sundays. They have vegan biscuits and gravy (amazing), vegan french toast (have not yet tried), and this thing called vegan loggers hash which combines star tots, vegan sausage (maybe tofurkey), with onions, peppers, tomatoes, and garlic, and bbq sauce... so freaking good! Other things on the menu I've had but don't typically choose them over the other things I could put in my mouth: meatball sammy, BLT (tempeh bacon), black bean burger, corn fritters. I have not yet tried a newer menu addition, vegan mac n cheese because something must be wrong with my head.

Oh yeah, they are also a bar, so 21 and up only. They have a rotating tap last and lots of bottles of beer. And if you want to watch hockey, this is a good place for that.

Pros: all the vegan foodstuffs, sack of balls, beer
Cat Hair Day
Cat Hair Day

The Catnip Diaries - The Sinking Ship

Posted on 06 / 09 / 2015

Cat Hair Day loves to go out on dates. Nat is vegan, so we are limited to where we can go out to, but that’s part of the fun – finding vegan-friendly places to eat in Indy. And trust us, we don’t starve! We seem to find ourselves at the Sinking Ship on a weekly basis for a couple of reasons, it is right down the street and we love their wings!

The Sinking Ship is located in SoBro at 49th and College. While it is known for being the only hockey bar in Indy, they also serve lunch and dinner, and even have a Sunday brunch. We were excited to find out on our most recent visit to the Sinking Ship, that they had just unveiled a new menu with even more vegan options! One of the greatest perks of The Sinking Ship, is that it is one of the more vegan-friendly restaurants we have found in Indy, with nearly half of the menu options being vegan. Unlike many restaurants, where you have to “special order” non-vegan options to make them vegan, The Sinking Ship has many options that are already vegan. Vegan options at The Sinking Ship include appetizers, sides, entrees, and burgers.

Our favorite appetizers are the Sack of Balls (cinnamon sugar donut balls with a fruity sauce) and Vegan Chili Dogs. Our favorite go-to entree is their Seitan Wings with Korean BBQ; try them – we promise you won’t regret it! The Thai Seitan Salad is another delicious lunch or dinner option, and one of the healthier menu items. Their vegan sides include Mac N’ Teese and Vegan Chili. Another option worth mentioning is their variety of vegan sauces, including vegan ranch and vegan mayo. But the best day of all to visit the Sinking Ship is on Sundays when they have Vegan Biscuits and Gravy. We could eat their biscuits and gravy every week and never get tired of them. Seriously, they are so delicious!

Vegan Friendly: 4/5

Tastiness: 3.5/5

Decor: 4.5/5 (Nat); 4/5 (Amy)

Staff Friendliness: 5/5

Guest
Guest

Awesome Bar!

Posted on 11 / 08 / 2014

This place is pretty cool. It's pretty laid back inside. They have a bunch of beer selections including Sun King and other local beers. On the menu they have clear marked vegan items. In all I would say they have about 10 vegan items which was nice. We had the vegan corn fritters as a starter with vegan ranch sauce and it was so good. For my main mea I had the vegan meatball sub with fries and it tasted great! Will definitely be back again.

Pros: Pretty good selection of vegan items , Fast service, Giod prices

SarahBaker
SarahBaker

What I Wanted

Posted on 08 / 05 / 2013

So a lot of the time I hear people tell me, "Oh, well, that's unhealthy vegan food." Hey, when a restaurant has anything vegan on their menu that is more tasty than a bland salad or just fries, I jump for joy.
This place was perfect! I wanted a burger and fries. They did one better. A vegan meatball sub! And a jackfruit "pulled pork" sandwich. And star-shaped tater tots. Delicious! Friendly staff and good prices.

sarahsvati
sarahsvati

Nice to have vegan bar food

Posted on 01 / 22 / 2013

I agree with the previous reviewer. This place serves greasy bar food, so if that's your thing, then you'll be pleased as punch to eat at Sinking Ship. Their tots are everything you want in a tot and I enjoyed their seitan wings.

That said, I wasn't blown away by the food. However, in a city with limited vegan options, it's nice to be able to eat bar food with the masses :)

Pros: Vegan options, Greasy bar food
Cons: A bit unexciting
ReidMeFirst
ReidMeFirst

Yummy greasy bar food

Posted on 01 / 03 / 2013

If you're in the mood for a bar, bar food, and some vegan dining options, look no further.

The Sinking Ship serves the standard veggie burger, veggie nachos, vegan chili. They also have Seitan Hot Wings made by Chef Ian of Indianapolis. They post their full menu on their website. Lots of veggie choices and quite a few vegan choices for a bar.

Pros: Bar food, Dive Bar Vibe (if that's your thing)
Cons: Dive Bar Vibe (if it isn't your thing)

Dear Owner and Manager of The Sinking Ship: