The Sentient Bean

Coffee shop cafe offers a variety of vegetarian & vegan dishes, baked goods, and fair trade coffee; try the vegan sunflower squares. See website for live music, independent films, and other events. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic

First Review by bagfullofbricks
pandapharmd
pandapharmd

Pretty good.

3 Posted on 01 / 24 / 2014

The Bean is a good place to stop if you want to grab a wrap and a smoothie. They don't have a huge menu, they don't have as many vegan options as I'd like, and the food quality varies from day to day (I've ordered the same thing several times and sometimes it's great and sometimes it's mediocre). Overall it's a decent option but depending on what you want you might do better to head next door and check out Brighter Day's deli.

Pros: Good wraps., Great smoothies.
Cons: Small menu., Staff aren't always that friendly.
TheVeganVagabond
TheVeganVagabond

Below Average

2 Posted on 07 / 14 / 2013

If you're looking for delicious vegan food, you'll want to skip The Bean. The food is pretty simple, and OK. The staff never seem to be in a good mood, and it's kind of dirty. That said, their potato soup and tomato soup are pretty good. They don't offer vegan cheese, even though there's a place that sells it right next door. To them, vegan means taking off the cheese and still charging you full price.

Pros: Good location, Good place to chill out
Cons: Mediocre Food, Dirty, Rude Staff
michaelsalamey
michaelsalamey

Sentient and Amazing!

5 Posted on 05 / 15 / 2013

Great vegan options at the Sentient Bean! Choice of milks for your latte, amazing vegan desserts and treats, and delicious breakfast and lunch options. I had the vegan breakfast burrito and Cardamom Cookies--both were fantastic!

This is by far the best vegan restaurant in the Savannah area. An absolute must for visiting vegans!

Pros: Taste and Quality, Price, Multiple Vegan Options
Cons: Cash Only--no debit or credit, Location (south side of Forsyth Park), Hours (no late dinners--it's a cafe!)
SLC
SLC

Avoid and go next door to Brighter Day

2 Posted on 04 / 29 / 2013

I am stunned at these great reviews. We went to this place on a trip through several cities and this was by far the worst place we went. It's vegetarian but looking at the menu that appears to mean essentially "replace with cheese". We ordered a sandwich and a black bean quesadilla. We waited for 45 minutes and I finally went up to the counter and asked if they forgot us. A woman who appeared to be the owner gave me an annoyed attitude that made me wonder if I did anything wrong. They had taken our food to a different (empty!) table and as nobody ate it they took it away!! Seriously?! Anyhow, we had to wait for another 15 minutes, and instead of apologizing she just threw the plates on the table in a way that was plain rude.
The food was ok, but nothing special and rather average. The side of greens should be categorized as garnish. The peppermint iced tea though was very good.
So here is my recommendation: Go next door to the natural foods store Brighter Day. You can't tell from the outside but they have sandwiches and also make them to order. Much bigger vegan selection and their staff is super friendly....oh and it costs much less and you can still sit in the same tables outside.

Pros: good iced tea, nice location, pet friendly
Cons: super rude service, expensive for what it is, average uncreative food
LadyVolsFreakDeb
LadyVolsFreakDeb

Great menu, amazing deserts

5 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2012

The Sentient Bean is a funky coffee shop with an excellent menu that brought us back twice for their killer deserts (The vegan peach cobbler bar was to die for). I ordered the tofu veggie parmesan. It came out on a colorful plate with a beautiful salad on the side. The salad was fresh and crisp and the parmesan was really flavorful. My spouse had the huge salad of the day that included butternut squash, tons of other fresh ingredients and a wonderful dressing. She also had a bowl of the lentil soup. Both were served with excellent homemade bread. The salad was really enjoyable, as was the lentil soup. Only drawback on the soup was the temp; it could have been hotter. The after dinner coffee was an excellent accompaniment to desert. Overall, a great place to have a cup of joe or enjoy an amazing meal.

Pros: Full menu, Friendly service, Deserts
Cons: Cash only
OwlBeBack
OwlBeBack

I hope the coffee is better than the cake...

2 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2012

I was so excited to find that there was a place in Savannah where my boyfriend and I could get some vegan dessert during our vacation. We went out of our way to the Sentient Bean. We both ordered the orange chocolate cake. It was dry as dirt. It was more like biscotti than cake. This stuff gives vegan baked goods a bad name. We won't be going back.

Pros: location
Cons: very dry vegan cake, the furniture needs replacing
pandora_13
pandora_13

An All-Veg Cafe: A Rare Find in Savannah

4 Posted on 03 / 26 / 2012

We stopped for lunch at Sentient Bean during a recent stay in Savannah. This vegetarian spot - the only all-veggie spot in town - is large, bright and comfy with plenty of seating to dine or lounge. They offer some outside seating as well, which is especially nice given their location directly across the street from Forsyth Park.

The coffee drinks were just okay; I had an iced latte, which was good, but my companions' blended frozen mochas had big chunks of ice in it. The food was really good, though. The Quiche of the Day was delicious, with cheddar cheese and chunks of housemade vegan sausage. The Heart of Gold salad was super fresh and equally tasty; a generous helping of crumbled feta, roasted peppers, artichoke hearts and toasted walnuts lent so much flavor that the zippy balsamic vinaigrette wasn't even necessary. The Black Bean and Cheddar Scone was nice as well, if a bit dry. My companions' paninis got rave reviews.

All in all, a great little place with solid vegetarian and vegan fare, friendly staff and diverse crowd. I will definitely visit SB again when I return to beautiful Savannah.

Pros: Only all-veg spot in town, Cute space, nice location, Tasty food
Cons: Frozen coffee drinks a bit chunky
  • DiMoon DiMoon

It's not just a rare veg-only find in Savannah. It's currently the ONLY one! It's the best value as well. All the meat-eating chefs in town think a meat dish minus the meat equals vegetarian and are usually unwilling to increase the portion of veggies and definitely won't decrease the price although the most expensive part (the meat) is left out. The Bean is the only place in town I feel is capable of preparing food as well as I can at home and is also a good value.

radiovegan
radiovegan

Had a nice meal here!

4 Posted on 10 / 31 / 2011

It's hard to come by healthy and/or vegan food in Savannah, so was very pleasantly surprised when a coffee house had my favorite vegan meal! I ordered the vegan tofu scramble burrito and it was really good. Big, nice, warm, yummy, with a tasty salsa. However, I also got a smoothie and was not so pleased with that. For one thing, they appeared to list all the ingredients on the board - you could see which ones were made with yogurt. Since the one I ordered did not list it, I assumed there was none. Thankfully, I happened to be watching her make it and was horrified to see her put in yogurt! When I pointed it out, she was very nice and started over without it. The smoothie itself wasn't particularly good because it was made with ice instead of frozen fruit (I felt cheated - paying good money for frozen water; skimping on the fruit) and it didn't have a strong, fruity flavor. Plus, it wasn't blended very well so there were big ol' ice chunks in there. I say get the vegan breakfast burrito and skip their smoothies. Oh, my husband got one of their vegan cookies (cranberry?) and loved it.

Pros: vegan breakfast burrito, salsa
Cons: Woman who took my order not friendl, lame smoothie
DiMoon
DiMoon

Traveler seeks refuge at home

5 Posted on 06 / 05 / 2011

I have traveled to many destinations and always try many veg-friendly restaurants away from home, but always return home to the refuge of The Bean in Savannah. It's reliable, fresh and tasty. They have some vegan and gluten-free options too, Remember, always bring cash because they don't take plastic, but they pass the savings on to you because their prices are very reasonable!

Pros: Fresh ingredients, Vegan and Gluten-free options, Cozy and casual
Cons: Cash only
RaspyRaspy
RaspyRaspy

Awesome!

5 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2010

Totally vegetarian, and also with vegan options. The vegan baked goods are delicious. The BBQ tofu with the green vegan dressing is my favorite dish! Anything I order from them I always end up with delicious leftovers, so the portions are good sized. As well, they make some of the best coffee in Savannah. They hold alot of events there and also have free wi-fi. They're right next to Brighter Day, another plus!
Updated from previous review on Monday January 28, 2008

Pros: great environment, good sized portions, good food
jknee
jknee

Fresh made vegan treats

5 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2010

The Bean is a great place to grab a quick vegan snack. They have an excellent selection of teas which you steep at your table. Very environmentally friendly with recycling and they charge .25 cents if you want a to-go cup! This is a great spot for a light breakfast. It is conveniently located across the street from the south-side of Forsyth Park. Very eclectic.

Pros: great baked goods, eclectic atmosphere
Cons: cash only
javila3
javila3

Great Vegan Food

4 Posted on 03 / 02 / 2010

If you are looking for great vegan food this is the place for you. While on a business trip my family and I went there and were able to get wonderful service and wonderful food! Thanks!

pheasance
pheasance

Delicious Vegan Food

4 Posted on 02 / 16 / 2010

We make a point to stop at the Sentient Bean when passing through Savannah. It's not fancy, and you have to bus your own table, but the food is great, and the setting is comfortable. Last time we had the eggless salad sandwiches and fresh-squeezed lemonade. Yum! Word to the wise: At least two GPS systems have it indexed as "Sentien Bean," which can make it hard to find.

Pros: Tasty, Vegan, Affordable
Cons: Neighborhood iffy at night, No table service
Vegan Diner
Vegan Diner

Great food

4 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2009

We enjoyed our visit to Sentient Bean. A hippie kind of place but great vegan options.

Pros: lots of vegan options, friendly staff
Cons: a bit too casual
hippublican
hippublican

Nice

4 Posted on 11 / 21 / 2009

The potato corn chowder was awesome- especially with their crostini bread. Their vegan bakery items are pretty good, especially the cookies. The staff was really friendly. I liked that there is plenty of outdoor seating, so we could take our dog with us. I wasn't a huge fan of the noisy hipster (and homeless?) crowd and the smoke they sent our way though.

Pros: Good food, friendly staff, outdoor seating
Cons: smokers, noisy
bagfullofbricks
bagfullofbricks

Fantastic

5 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2007

Some friends and I spent the weekend in Savannah and most of our time was spent hanging out in the Sentient Bean. Great service, awesome atmosphere (the building is really well designed and even the art on the walls was good). I had the a tofu sandwich that was one of the best meals I have ever had and the price was totally reasonable. The vegan baked goods and made to order meals, in my experience, were fantastic. The menu has lots of options (w/ plenty of them being vegan). This is how a business and kitchen should be run. Thanks!

Pros: Atmosphere, Food, Service
Cons: I dont live in GA