Serves meat, veg options available. All vegetarian except for fish, with many vegan & raw options. Restaurant serves juices, raw food, Thai and Western, cakes, and more. Over 300 vegetarian items on their menu. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Raw, Thai, Western, Non-veg

tcascade
tcascade

My Expectations Undermined Me

Posted on 05 / 27 / 2015

I tried to take my motorbike on the death-defying road to the Sanctuary. About half-way up one hill my motorbike was wiser than I, and it just said, "uh, no".

Undeterred, I rode to Haad Rin, where I hired a boat, for 400 THB each way. That's about $13 USD right now. It is a short, and scenic boat trip.

When I arrived, I was greeted by the exceptionally friendly staff. The cafe is beautiful and scenic, looking out on a wonderful beach with big granite boulders.

The menu however,...I think my expectations just undermined me. There was a lot of junk food on the menu. Given their mission and purpose for existence, I have no idea why this restaurant isn't 100% vegan. But, it is not. The food was not very good, and the dude smoking nearby was just annoying as hell. It just didn't seem to fit with the surroundings and with what I have read about the Sanctuary online.

I was disappointed.

Their accommodations are pricey. The restaurant is cash-only, and there is no ATM. Some of the other diners seemed a bit pretentious to me, and to be honest, I probably won't return here. Too bad really. So much wasted potential.

rawfoodie
rawfoodie
  • raw

Expensive, good food, poor service

Posted on 07 / 07 / 2012

The atmosphere is tranquil, the food was good albeit overpriced (for Thailand). The service was lackluster; the staff are friendly, but often unhelpful. You're left chasing them for menus and to place orders. I was disappointed with detox/cleansing programs there, which are expensive (relative to comparable programs on the islands), especially because the staff were uninformed and unable to answer basic questions. However, the Sanctuary's general facilities, are lovely and the beach is clean, quaint and serene.

kool_kitchen
kool_kitchen

Overpriced

Posted on 01 / 27 / 2012

For Western food it is one of the better options, though only one of, but for Thai it is one of the worst. Been coming here for over a decade and it is certainly the most expensive place to eat on any of the three adjoining bays by far. The breakfast is recommended if you need a veg full English. The food generally tends to be quite bland. The hot'n'raw soup is something a bit special though.

Pros: Western dishes, Raw menu
Cons: Expensive

IanMcDonald
IanMcDonald

A varied vegan experience

Posted on 04 / 11 / 2009

I stayed at the Sanctuary for a day, and ate regularly at the restaurant. Despite the fact that they advertise themselves as a "Vegetarian and seafood restaurant", I had mixed experiences in getting vegan food.

Some breakfast and desert options are marked vegan on the menu. I had a nice mixed grain porridge just before leaving, for example. Main courses, though, are not marked.

One senior member of staff was very understanding and helpful - she stood with the chef during cooking to make sure no mistakes were made. At the other end of the scale, another staff member abruptly ended a conversation by saying that they could not help me and maybe I should have a salad.

On another positive note, I left my laptop sleeve and the staff very kindly posted it on. When they are helpful, they are very helpful.

The food, once I got it, was good. I had a curry and some snacks. The juices were fantastic. But I was in an expensive (for Thailand) holistic detox resort which advertised a vegetarian restaurant, and had not expected it to sometimes require, say, the patience of an omnivorous restaurant.

Pros: Good food, Some very helpful staff
Cons: Pricey, Waiting for the very helpful staff, Vegan options not marked
smithintaiwan
smithintaiwan

Great but expensive

Posted on 06 / 20 / 2007

The Sanctuary has a cool restaurant with great music and good food. Very good selection of vegan and vegetarian food, including a Sunday brunch. Unfortunately, it is quite expensive for those on a budget and can't compete with the wonderful Bamboo, just five minutes away.

Pros: Selection, Quality, Music
Cons: Expensive