Vegetarian hotel operated by vegetarian proprietor. more-less

First Review by Oliver
alessioxvx
alessioxvx

Good hotel, but what's so vegetarian about it?

3 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2011

On a recent visit to Eastbourne I stayed at this b&b thinking that it was going to cater well for vegans and vegetarians.
The owners were very friendly and lovely, made me feel welcome, however I think that they should improve the selection of breakfast items and make it more veg-orientated and serve things that aren't served in other b&bs. There was bread, jams, croissants, cheese, yoghurts, muesli plus some soya yoghurts for the vegans. However, you can get this kind of breakfast in any b&b (minus the soya yoghurts.) There was no cooked veg*n breakfast which is what I would have expected as something you don't normally get in other places. If they really want to stand out as a vegetarian b&b that's what they should go for, yes the owners are lovely and the rooms are nice and reasonably priced, but if you choose to be catered for as a vegetarian or vegan you would expect more.
I would go and stay there again for how I was treated and made feel welcome, but there wasn't anything particularly vegetarian or vegan that you couldn't have got elsewhere.

Pros: central, reasonably priced, very welcoming
Cons: you could get their breakfast elsewhere, cold room, no extra blankets in room
Oliver
Oliver

Superb veggie hotel

5 Posted on 07 / 30 / 2010

This new 100% vegetarian hotel has just opened a few months ago. It's housed in a historic building, but has been fully and tastefully renovated to a very high standard (4 ****) by the new (veg.) proprietor. It's directly at the Marine Parade, so facing the seaside, and just a few minutes walk from the pier.

It's a pity that I could only stay there for 1 night, because it was already fully booked before and after, because it was probably the best hotel I ever stayed at. My room was very spacious, tastefully furnished and had a comfortable bed. The bathroom was also very spacious, clean and had a nice selection of toiletries. I was pleasantly surprised about my room. Usually, single rooms are very small and don't offer much comfort, this was very different. But to add to this: I had a fantastic view to the seaside! It was great waking up and watching the sea.

Breakfast was another nice surprise. Being a vegan, I was very well catered for, home-made bread, cereals, marmelade, fresh fruit juice, soy milk, soy yoghurt, fresh fruit salad ..., what else could you want? I think, you can also have a cooked breakfast, but that's too much for me in the morning, especially during summer. There was also a good selection of newspapers.

The lady, who is running the hotel, is a dedicated vegetarian herself and was friendly & helpful. She advised me about places to eat out (Green's, see elsewhere) and it was nice there, too.

I am sure this hotel will be runnig fine and I will definitely stay there again when I am travelling through the south. But for a longer stay, then!

Pros: Stylish, Spacious, Superb!
Cons: none

Dear Owner and Manager of The Royal: