The Royal Blenheim

Serves meat, veg options available. White horse brewery tap in Oxford city centre. Offers several veggie options, marked with "V." Free wi-fi. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Lacto, English, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

CallumB
CallumB

Many great vegan options

4 Posted on 03 / 16 / 2014

I go here fairly often, and there are always many vegan options, and they're all very good. It's also got a nice atmosphere, and there are some board games you can play.

Also, there doesn't seem to be as much of an issue with the menu anymore (see review below). I don't think anyone would get confused.

But check if there are any major rugby matches on - when there are, the place is absolutely packed.

Pros: Many vegan options, Nice atmosphere
Cons: Can be extremely busy when rugby is on
Gastroplodder
Gastroplodder

Get those menus sorted out!

2 Posted on 04 / 22 / 2011

The Royal Blenheim menu attempts to designate vegetarian with a blue 'v' and vegan with a pink 'v'. Unfortunately in some cases the blue is green and in most cases the pink is yellow and in one case faded grey, probably a printer problem, resulting in a very confusing menu.

As a vegan I fell foul of this: when my partner pointed out that the nachos have both a blue and a second, faded, 'v' by them I opted for these with the veggie chilli. It arrived smothered in cheese which isn't mentioned in the menu description and isn't vegan. We had both read the menu as indicating that the veggie chilli option was vegan. When I pointed this out the barman told me I should know nachos came with cheese - funny that because they are offered elsewhere on the menu as vegan. He told me a blue v was vegetarian and when I pointed to the second v that wasn't blue didn't even attempt to explain it. He was very apologetic and polite but the attitude was one of 'the customer has got it wrong'.

The message came back that I was expected to pay again for a cheese free version which I wasn't willing to do so I made do with my chips and onion rings sides and spent a good part of the evening reassuring my partner that it wasn't all her fault. I didn't take up the offer to talk to the manager as I was feeling a little angry by now and was on my second beer so thought I'd just let it go. I did grab a copy of the menu so I could have a good look in the sober light of day and it is no clearer, in fact the array of different coloured 'v's is laughable.

To be fair I expect in different circumstances an enjoyable vegan meal can be had here but I doubt I'll be going back any time soon!

Cons: Menu needs clarifying
JDH
JDH

Yummy new listing for Oxford

4 Posted on 08 / 24 / 2010

Have started to use the Royal Blenheim quite regularly as it has a really chilled atmosphere. The staff and landlord in particular are very friendly and are fully up to speed with what's vegetarian and/or vegan.
The hummous and olive sandwich is peculiarly amazing in a good way and there are always lots of options with changing specials. It being smack bang in the middle of Oxford means it's great for locals and tourists.

Pros: Vegan food in the centre of Oxford, Really chilled place (and free wifi!), Excellent staff
Cons: Not completely vegetarian, Menu could be made clearer re vegan

Dear Owner and Manager of The Royal Blenheim: