Serves meat, veg options available. A teagarden that offers light meals, lunches and refreshments. Lunch food runs out quickly so go early. Full meals in evening also includes fish. Limited vegan options. Has organic wine. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Lacto, Western, Wine/Beer, Non-veg

First Review by llamapower
llamapower
llamapower

Disappointing for vegans

1 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2009

I'm usually easily pleased and it's a shame that my first review is mainly negative, but I've just been to the Rowan Tree when staying with a friend in Grasmere and I was pretty disappointed. Although it is no longer totally vegetarian and does include a couple of dishes with ham and bacon as well as fish, they do still have a lot of vegetarian options but very little for vegans and no clear labelling. Pretty much every veggie option has cheese so I had bruschetta with no cheese (for the same price of course) and also some stuffed olives,which turned out to have half of them stuffed with cheese rather than all with sun dried tomato like I thought, so my non-vegan friends shared the cheesy ones). I didn't find the waiter accommodating to me at all, I felt like he thought I was being awkward, and unfortunately he didn't seem to understand 'vegetarian' let alone vegan which was so frustrating especially for a veggie-friendly place - he offered me dishes with ham and fish in when I asked what was or could be made vegan. I won't be going back again unless they change quite a bit!

Pros: Most of menu veggie, Outdoor seating with view over river
Cons: Not vegan friendly at all, Unfriendly and naive service, Relatively expensive

Dear Owner and Manager of The Rowan Tree: