The Riverside Vegetaria

Restaurant overlooks the Thames river, with terrace seating available. Menu offers many choices, including daily specials. Reservation may be required. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Beer/Wine, Catering

First Review by Saddler
Phina
Phina

Great place, would return regularly

5 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2014

I've been here twice, and I must say the food is really well-done. The vegan mango lassi is my favourite drink, especially after riding at nearby Richmond Park.

Food we had included sweet potato curry, stuffed avocado, red lentil and avocado kedgeree. The portion sizes were very generous, and I couldn't finish it all! The rice was very tasty, I felt like I could actually eat it plain. The owners were very nice, helping us to pack the leftover food to eat again.

Fantastic view of the river as well, and the owner (Ritchie) is really friendly. Highly recommended!

Pros: Excellent food , Generous portions , Fantastic view
AnnaAnt7
AnnaAnt7

Fantastic food

4 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2014

A great menu of vegetarian and vegan food.
There are different options of lentils, beans, salads, soups, vegetable dishes, curries; you name it, they have it.
Decent food at decent prices, however I always found the service a bit lacking.
This is usually always due to the fact that they are incredibly busy though!
A lovely view of the river if you manage to get an outdoor table. They are incredibly popular!

rosie
rosie

nice for a lunch by the river

4 Posted on 03 / 17 / 2014

we popped in for sunday lunch. it's a lovely location overlooking the river. Service was a bit slow. They have a huge menu (mostly Indian and some Mediterran - and lots of gf and vegan options). Food takes a while (maybe they should shorten their menu?)- there was a main menu, a lunch menu list and then a (long) chalk board of specials. We had falafel in a rice pancake (loved the pancake, the 'falafel' were tasty but were more of a bean patty), a chickpea curry and a veg lasagna. Portions were big and came with a large side salad. Quite a range of vegan cakes too - the chocolate one was a little dry, the apple one was pretty yummy. It's a little pricey for what the food is, but it's a lovely spot and portions are big. It's not very refined dining, but for a filling, slow lunch, looking at the river go by, it's a lovely spot.

Pros: huge menu, lots of vegan and gf options , lovely location , portions are big
Cons: not that refined menu , a little pricey for what it is , can be a bit slow
etka
etka

Beautiful setting, excellent food

5 Posted on 09 / 08 / 2013

We dined here in August and it was a wonderful experience. First of all, make a reservation so as to be assured of a table outside on the balcony with a stunning view of the Thames. The food was quite good - we ordered the assorted starters (potato balls, vegetable balls, garlic mushrooms) which was a good choice. The waiter was very nice and at our request changed one of the options for us. Others ordered the soups - Tuscan (vegetable) and carrot, which were excellent. The main courses were also quite good - I ordered the Masala Dosai which was good (and spicey!) as was the House Lasagna, Tofu teryaki and the Pasta. It was a very enjoyable experience and the waiter was very accommodating. i would only differ with what others wrote as to the prices - we found it to be on the expensive side, but worth it (lunch is less expensive).

Pros: Excellent food, Lovely setting, Excellent service
nich
nich

Good Food and Atmosphere

4 Posted on 08 / 16 / 2013

A lovely restaurant near the center of Kingston, there are loads of specials (which I guess makes them slightly less special) up on the chalk board. There is a separate floor to accommodate larger numbers but has never been used when we went. Usually only a few groups at a time, and most of the dishes are of foreign influence although it seems that they go with the ingredients they have - nothing particularly exotic.

Pros: Nice vibe, Good portions, Reliable standard
Cons: Slightly pricey, Nothing extravagant, No artisan bread

LauraStone90
LauraStone90

Wide Variety Of Vegan Foods

4 Posted on 07 / 17 / 2013

The majority of the menu is suitable for Vegans, and there is a huge list to choose from-which can take a little while! There're a great fusion of flavours, and we've never really been disappointed. They have dishes to suit most tastes-hot, mild, subtle, and more intense flavours. They even have a Vegan chocolate cake, for desert!

Pros: Wide variety of dishes, Most dishes are Vegan, Good portions
millavinilla
millavinilla

Wide variety of ok food

3 Posted on 06 / 15 / 2013

Been here a couple of times now. They are very vegan friendly, the staff are nice and its at a beautiful location on the river. Just wish the food was a bit better. It's all good but I feel like the menu could be slimmed downed and updated. My omnivore friends were underwhelmed when I took them there - which isn't always the case with a good veg restaurant. My husband and I might return as we do like to support veg restaurants over just veg friendly ones.

Pros: Vegan friendly, River view
Cons: Food could be better
aclasse
aclasse

Reliable, vegan-friendly and open Christmas Day!

4 Posted on 12 / 29 / 2012

My family have been going here for Christmas lunch (as well as on other occasions) for years and we always have a great time. The food is not presented in a fancy way but it always tastes fresh and good and they are completely clear about what's vegan (a lot of it is) and don't mix things up. This is also a place you can take a conservatively-minded omnivore to because it doesn't rely on unfamiliar ingredients. Great view of the river which means it is also lovely on a summer evening.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Good value, Suitable for omnivores
vegan frog
vegan frog

ok food

3 Posted on 12 / 02 / 2012

So I would not say that the food is amazing but with a menu that large, it's hard to make amazing food really!
I would say the food is a little bland, but there are many choices for vegans and vg options are clearly marked.
The service was by no means great and we just left feeling that we wouldn't rush back but yet there wasn't much quizzing to be done about the food, like in regular restaurants. It feels that they are cruising on the Best IK vegetarian restaurant from 1995 or something but they sure aren't the best anymore.

Guest
Guest

Good food, a little run down

4 Posted on 05 / 17 / 2012

There is a great selection for vegans here and on the few occasions I've been, I've always enjoyed the food.

The restaurant itself is a little run down and cramped. It feels a little tacky, but it's worth overlooking this for the food!

The service can be hit or miss depending on the owners mood - we've found him to be happy, grumpy and everything in between :)

Pros: Great choice for vegans, Decent value
Cons: Run down
mnewing
mnewing

A regular

4 Posted on 01 / 05 / 2010

I often eat here and always enjoy the food. The staff are pleasant but i have to agree the menu could be much shorted and vary more.

The upstairs overlooks the road so is best avoided.

Pros: Wide choice, vegan and wheat free options, good location
Jemima
Jemima

Some tasty things here

3 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2009

This is the last restaurant as you do the gauntlet down the riverside. To enter it you need to walk round the side of it and enter from the street side.
There is an upstairs and downstairs, the upstairs was shut when I went. The decor is dark and dated looking. The dining area is in front of the river. There are some tables for two on the balcony looking on to the water. They are so closely spaced that it's basically communal seating. I sat inside where the tables are just slightly less close to each other. You have to be in the right position to be able to see the water as it's not glass fronted/ completely open, facing the river.

The menu is international with mains such as dosa, teriyaki tofu, Caribbean curry, Gado gado, pasta and nut roast. I had a mix of three starters for main that were falafel, mixed salad, garlic mushrooms and it came with garlic bread. The falafel was different to any falafel I had ever tried before. It had kidney beans in it and I think it was rolled in breadcrumbs. I'm not sure it had any broad beans in it. It tasted like yam and was nice, just unexpected. The hummus also seemed different, maybe like avocado? The salad was simple but nice, it seemed like an extension of the garnish which was lettuce, tomato and carrot, just with kidney beans added. It was fine. The mushrooms were cooked with tomato paste as well as garlic and were delicious. They accidentally brought me a potato ball instead of mixed salad at first so I tasted that as well. It's a ball of potato deep fried with a slightly spicy salsa type dip. The garlic bread was made using a wholemeal bread from a good loaf. I was full so didn't have dessert. They have a reasonably extensive drinks list including wine. I had a banana vegan lassi. I'm pretty sure they used at least one big banana, or else two because it takes that much to make the exact same thing at home. It tasted good.

There was a pleasant person at the entrance but the dining area was watched over by a grumpy looking guy. He might have been tired because he took a seat while I decided on what to order. Part of my main was wrong when it came out but it was corrected.

Value was fine.

You can pay an annual fee to the restaurant and get discounted meals there for that year.

Pros: Position, some tasty items
Cons: decor dark and dated, cramped seating, river view obscured, grumpyish service
kool_kitchen
kool_kitchen

Grest location, OK food

4 Posted on 07 / 01 / 2009

Set in a beautiful riverside setting with stunning views of the Thames in leafy Kingston, Riverside Vegetariana is perfect for a sunny summer day. The food itself was pretty good: the masala dosa was average but the nut roast with tomato and orange sauce was something a little different. A 3/5 becomes a 4/5 for the setting alone.

Pros: Location, Location, Location!
GAJ
GAJ

Good food and a friendly atmosphere

4 Posted on 04 / 26 / 2009

We are regular visitors here and find the food consistently good and the staff friendly and attentive. I think the food is best described as 'ethnic' rather than haute cuisine but there is a very wide choice and everything is fresh and well presented. The menu is also well annotated for those with particular requirements, such as dairy or gluten free. One of the best locations in Kingston too, right by the river.

Pros: Good food, Friendly staff, Good portions
Cons: Very compact
khb
khb

Plenty of choices

5 Posted on 05 / 04 / 2008

I went here for my birthday dinner and was very happy with it. True, the main dishes are a bit formulaic - most things are served over rice and come with the same salad on the side - but there was no mistaking my Caribbean stew for my friend's coconut curry. Both were excellent. But the apricot cake tasted strongly of orange, and the soya custard served with it was microwaved so long that it had a skin on top of it. The dining room was very pretty - it was too cold to eat outside - but the tables were packed very close together.

Pros: excellent food, lots of choice, pleasant surroundings
Cons: crowded
Saddler
Saddler

Wholesome but...

3 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2007

I have been to this restauarnt many times and it is never either truly exciting or disappointing. The menu never changes and many of the dishes look similar, largely due to the similarity of the accompanyments. On the other hand, it is a pleasant place, with a good view of the Thames and they are certainly vegan friendly. I tend to agree that, while it is well worth a visit, they could do so much better with relatively little extra effort.

Pros: vegan friendly, location, large helpings
Cons: menu never changes, unimaginative

Dear Owner and Manager of The Riverside Vegetaria: