CLOSED: The Retreat Cafe an...

Cozy veggie cafe with menu consisting of sandwiches made from choice of bread and fillings, a soup of the day, a meal of the day, a vegan choice daily, lunch items, dinner items, and housemade cakes. Also offer a picnic brown bag for take-out. See website for details. Reported open Oct 2013, but may be for sale or closing soon, please confirm before going. 2015 REPORTED SHUT, CONFIRMED BY ITS WEBPAGE. Call before going. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Beer/Wine, Take-out
14-16 Main Street, Grassington, UK (Yorkshire Dales National Park)
Grassington, England BD23 5AA
01756-751887

Call for hours - tell us

• Cash only

First Review by Sernicki
Gail Howarth
Gail Howarth

Great cafe and very friendly owner

Posted on 11 / 23 / 2011

I ate in this cafe a couple of weeks ago. I only had the soup of the day but i can tell you it was really tasty and had that great home made taste about it. The owner made us feel very welcome and although she was quite busy she still took time out to chat with us about various stuff. All in all in really was a beautiful experience visiting this cafe. Thanks Retreat x

Pros: Great tasting food, Friendly atmosphere, Compassionate about life!
sharonbetty
sharonbetty

We'll Be Back!

Posted on 08 / 16 / 2011

We had lunch elsewhere but had a fabulous afternoon tea here. My scone was just as it should be - good size, fresh, great consistency and taste and together with the jam and cream I was more than happy. My other half had a fabulous piece of carrot & ginger cake. Together with a latte and an earl grey tea came to £8.40. Sue (?) is an amazing baker - all the other cakes looked amazing. I'm sure the savouries would also be excellent and look forward to returning. A great place.

rcooper
rcooper

Good Veg Food and Friendly Service

Posted on 01 / 31 / 2011

We often take a trip to Grassington to fill up on the large Yorkshire portions, I recommend the pie, chips and salad. Large slices of cake are good and filling. However, have a back up plan, on our last visit, despite phoning ahead and being told they were open until 4pm that day and would be serving food, we arrived at 3:30pm and were told food was no longer being served. Most disappointed as we could see plates of food still coming out of the kitchen and we travelled some distance to go to the Retreat Cafe. My partner is Vegan, so they got nothing until we got home.

Pros: Portions, Friendly, Location
Cons: Opening Times, Vegan Cake, Fresh, not frozen chips

louis
louis

Great Cafe - The Retreat, Grassington

Posted on 01 / 20 / 2009

An excellent cafe, all veggie with numerous vegan items on the menu. I tried the Brazil nut pie with chips and was very impressed with it as I was with the absolutely superb vegan chocolate cake. Decent portion sizes and very reasonable prices for the quality and quantity of the food on offer.

I love the fact that they are very dog friendly and it was good to be able to take my dogs along while I enjoyed a great meal. The place was busy both times I went, with various other diners taking advantage of the opportunity to enjoy a nice meal with their canine companions. The tips are split between the serving staff and an animal shelter with a no destruction policy. Great soya lattes and friendly staff and open Sundays too. A shame it's not open every night for dinner as well.

Pros: tasty food, dogs allowed , open sundays
jonnie
jonnie

Lovely caff

Posted on 11 / 02 / 2006

This little place is great - they support an animal sanctuary and they allow dogs in which is great entertainment. As for the food I had a smashing Brazil Nut Pie with thick cut chips and salad and a cup of tea with soy milk... I wanted pudding but I was popping after the very generous helpings of main course.

just down the road is Natures Way a delightful little wholefood shop.. try that too.

Pros: Friendly staff/inexpensiv, Lots of vegan choice, Dogs allowed!!!
Cons: Can get crowded
Guest

Looking forward to a return visist

Posted on 08 / 15 / 2006

A wonderfull little village and a great cafe with a large selection of food. Being able to ask for soya milk in you latte is great and having the option of a couple of vegan cakes. The food here is well cooked and the service very friendly. They even do a tasty take out lunch for walkers/bikers etc.

Pros: Soya milk, great service, healthy

Great Veggie Place

Posted on 08 / 10 / 2006

If you are in and around the Yorkshire Dales then make sure you pop into this great veggie cafe/tea rooms. A great selection of veggie/vegan food to fill you up for a long walk or maybe a cycle ride. The owners are friendly and helpful. The food is excellent quality and they also support an animal sanctuary with the tips.

Pros: Friendly, Vegan options, great prices

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: The Retreat Cafe and Tea Rooms: