Serves meat, veg options available. Has a veggie meatball sub, vegan chicken salad, veggie dog, build your own salad, usually a veg daily special, and several other veg items on menu. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, American, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by pschvix
frozencemetery
frozencemetery

Definitely stop by

4 Posted on 06 / 15 / 2014

An omnivorous friend and I stopped by. Great menu items of all kinds, and a nice selection of draft beers as well. I had the Tempeh Tantrum and I quite agree with another reviewer in stating that, while I would enthusiastically eat it again, PETA calling it one of top 5 (or whatever it was) sandwiches in the country is a bit of a stretch. Would definitely go again if I am ever in Raleigh again.

Pros: tasty food, several draft beers available, wide variety of food of all restrictions
zoonoises
zoonoises

Gouda Grits, yes please!

4 Posted on 12 / 05 / 2013

Cute little space I like to visit when I come to Raleigh. I've only been for brunch, but it's always a great experience. I haven't branched out yet from the Remedy Breakfast cause it's so tasty. The gouda grits are a prime example of why I can't go vegan, I love cheese so much! I wish they had a little more variety on the vegetarian side though.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Nice Location, Good Music
aidil02
aidil02

Where Vegans and Omnivores are equals

4 Posted on 06 / 07 / 2013

This place is a great downtown Raleigh spot to hit when you've got omni friends that don't want to go to a "vegan place". It is the best of both worlds. I found it a great place to introduce friends who were curious to try a few things.

The outdoor seating is pretty nice on a day with good weather and a huge parking deck is right behind the location. The deck is free to get out of after 7pm.

I will say that my "crab" cake was a little dry and OVER cooked once and the philly cheese "steak" was too much oil for my stomach that is otherwise pretty used to cleaner eating. But hell, this place is going for the true diner feel I guess. It is pretty charming nonetheless and I'd still go.

Having tried a few things, however, I'd stick to the tempeh tantrum as it won't throw a fit in your tummy.

Pros: outdoor seating available, options for omni friends too, nearby parking
Cons: sometimes to greasy or dry

alexa.richards12
alexa.richards12

Great Vegan Diner Food

4 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2013

I've gone to Remedy Diner a few times and I enjoy their rotating seasonal menus but also their staple sandwiches. My favorite is the reuben, maybe the tempeh tantrum, and the bbq- all tied heh. It's hard to pick just one.

The majority of their vegan options are sandwiches- diner type food- but also have some heartier dishes after 5pm.

They have wonderful vegan desserts so make sure you save some room!

Pros: Food comes pretty fast, Rotating Options, Dessert!
Cons: Can get crowded
Kangarupe
Kangarupe

Like a wise friend once said, hit or miss.

4 Posted on 03 / 28 / 2013

I moved to Raleigh about 3 months ago, but I have been to Remedy about 4 times. A Vegan recommended I go, so off I went.

First time I went to Remedy, I got their wings and the Tempeh Tantrum (their staple vegan sandwich.) Both were good... Remedy proudly puts on their menu that the tantrum is a PETA top 5 sandwich in the USA winner. I wouldn't give it as much praise, but its definitely a solid sandwich that I'm sure I'll eat again. The wings...pretty ordinary (not an opinion shared by many I'm sure! Don't lynch me!) but the vegan ranch that comes with it is very good.

I also have had the crabby patty. It was fine, made with mock soy. I'll give it extra credit for attempting to imitate a fish protein, you don't see that often in vegan eats, but it does a fine job.

Had the eastern carolina BBQ sandwich the last time I went, it was..meh

I'm really looking forward to the meatball sub, it will be the next thing I order. In my 5 years as a vegan I can't remember having a meatball sub!

The mac n' cheese dish they have was fine the first time I had it. I did however sample a friends last time, and it was bland and boring. I will also note that its incredibly fucking spicy (maybe that was just that particular one that day) too spicy for me.

The deserts are where its at at Remedy, all vegan except for the one I forget. I have had all except for the sopapilla (which they say is the best) I however love the chocolate cake. Luck of the draw whether the waiter shorts you on slice size! haha

Remedy is small and cozy though, which makes you keep coming back (like I will many times I'm sure)

I give remedy 4 stars for being a great food resource for vegetarians and vegans alike. It has a warm atmosphere and everything on the menu is clearly marked, and highly adaptable to the vegan diet. I will even forgive it for that rude [edited by staff] waiter we had last time who tried to shuttle my friends and I out. I guess he though we were going to be hanging around until after closing.

Pros: Diverse Vegan menu, Environment, Typically friendly staff
Cons: Consistency , Not expensive, but definitely not cheap, Space (Part of its allure maybe?)
  • frozencemetery frozencemetery

Totally agreed on the Tempeh Tantrum... it's a great sandwich that I would also eat again, but it seems strange that this is the best the US has to offer.

trippinvegan
trippinvegan

A Great Veg*n Go-To

4 Posted on 03 / 26 / 2013

I've been eating at Remedy for about two or three years on a pretty regular basis (once a month or so) because they're a great go-to local place for a vegan in Raleigh.

They have an entire (large) section of the menu (titled "Alternative Therapies") dedicated to vegetarian and vegan selections. They are mostly - though not exclusively - sandwiches, and I especially recommend the veggie Reuben (with Daiya instead of regular cheese), East Carolina BBQ and Tempeh Tantrum.

They also have great vegan cakes and pies, which a server once told me are homemade by either the owner's or one of the staff's mother. They are delicious. Period.

Everything is delicious, the staff is nice, and it's a GREAT place for take-out. As a little tip if you do take out: Park in Cafe Luna's lot on the corner. You'll not be in the restaurant long enough for them to tow or ticket you, and you won't have to struggle to find parking or park on the parking deck.

Remedy isn't perfect, of course. The downsides would be that you have to pay extra for Daiya substitutions and fries. (Though the fries are worth it - WAY better than the default bag of kettle chips.) Those substitutions can add up, for sure.

And if you're looking for a "healthy" vegan place, this isn't it! It lives up to its name as a diner, for sure: Good and greasy.

They also close by 9 or 10pm, which always seems strange to me - somehow I associate diners with being open late. Though I think I did see something on Facebook about new later hours on Friday and Saturday, I can't find any listing of their hours now. So I guess better communication might help, too!

Pros: Great sandwiches, Good vegan desserts, Awesome fries
Cons: Charge for any substitutions, Close early
punzelda
punzelda

Best Little Vegan Option in Raleigh

4 Posted on 01 / 09 / 2013

Raleigh is my home and Remedy is my favorite place to eat, period. I recommend the Tempeh Tantrum, the BBQ sandwich (it's sweet, not spicy), the philly "cheese" steak, blue corn tacos, and vegan reuben. Ask to sample the soup before ordering--their soups are rather inconsistent--sometimes great, sometimes mediocre. Don't order the seitan steak.

The drinks and ambiance are fabulous!

The vegan desserts are made by the owner's mother and are to die for--try the coconut cream pie and or apple pie. She catered our wedding cupcakes and all the non-vegans devoured them and are still raving about how good they were.

Pros: lots of vegan choices, good service, desserts
Cons: a few less-good items on the menu, inconsistent on soups, long waits at busy times
The Vegan Chemist
The Vegan Chemist

Great Vegan Options

4 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2012

Cute place! I've only been once but I was very happy and they are accomodating to a vegan diet. I had the reuben and my bf had the buffalo chickn sandwich. Both rocked. The vegan eats are more "American" food options. We got to enjoy some local vegan beer too! Service was good and we got to sit outside! Prices were so-so for the amount of food we got but just the fact that it options that we could eat made it better. The only thing I am sad about is that I didn't try their vegan dessert options! Next time! :)

Pros: good service, great food
Cons: so-so on price
ArashArabasadi
ArashArabasadi

50/50

2 Posted on 04 / 26 / 2012

so my gf & i are both vegan. the problem for most vegan eateries is that we cook at home, so they need to be pretty awesome to standout.
we've been to the remedy diner twice. the first time -- february of 2012 -- was outstanding. we had fake philly steaks & vegan carolina BBQ. i'm not a BBQ fan, but for what it was, this one was just fine. but the philly? holy crap, man, it was great.
we were there again this past weekend -- april 2012 -- and everything pretty much sucked. the bread was stale; they were out of the vegan mayo; didn't have any vegan gravy for the vegan, "countrified" steak, and we got about 12 fries for the $2.50 we paid for fries.
we were very clear about being vegan, but our server brought us a roast beef w/ bacon as a "vegan philly" and a dessert topped with real whipped cream after we forced the other stuff down.
this was all a far cry from february, when the food was SO good that we were looking forward to our next visit to raleigh... and this was just a total disappointment after we brought our whole family -- grandparents and all -- to here for dinner. come on, remedy.

jetgal
jetgal

Tasty!

4 Posted on 03 / 17 / 2012

I had the Tempeh Reuben- best one yet and the Vegan Sopapilla Cheesecake (good, but I wish I had the key lime pie instead!). The very nice waitress told me it would take a while b/c it was St. Patrick's Day and very busy, but my meal still came faster than it would anywhere else. My meal was great, they have a good selection of beer on tap, and lots of vegan choices on the menu. You really can't go wrong!

Pros: good food, good selection, great staff
Cons: not in greensboro
judyfilip
judyfilip

Great Vegan Diner

4 Posted on 03 / 17 / 2012

I was amazed to find such a small cafe in this town to serve such wonderful vegan food. I was especially impressed by the vegan key lime pie. Wow!
Parking was a bit of a challenge - meter street parking around the corner.

Pros: Great food, Friendly
Cons: poor parking
Klaus
Klaus

Vegan's Heaven

4 Posted on 03 / 01 / 2012

Thanks to HappyCow, I found this place. None of the locals knew about it. It's Vegan's Heaven. Nice relax atmosphere, friendly accommodating staff and a great menu. The chef came out for helping me to cut oil and fat, so I had the soup of the day, "Roasted Peppers with Basil", and the "Black Bean Quesadilla", just beans and vegan cheese. Everything was excellent and very tasty. Topped off with a "Koelsch"-style light lager beer with lemon, this was a memorable first night in Raleigh, NC!

Pros: Friendly, great atmosphere, downtown
Cons: for me: none
maplescraft
maplescraft

win!

4 Posted on 01 / 25 / 2012

Great food and great choices. I love and crave the vegan BBQ sandwhich and fried broccoli. The atmosphere is Hipster, and service is cheerful although it can be slow. Its a bit pricey and I wish they didn't nickel and dime you for everything, but at least you know your food is definitely vegan and many things are organic.

Michael X. James
Michael X. James

Loved it so much I went back again!

4 Posted on 10 / 12 / 2011

By far the best vegan options in Raleigh. My first adventure in the restaurant I got the vegan chickenfriend steak with broccoli and mashed potatoes. The mashed potatoes were the highlight and the dish was overall pretty good (I was never a big "steak" person but it def reminded me of steak). They have four different options for vegan desserts and were sold out (bad for me, good for progress) of all but the key lime pie. Eventhough I'm not a hugh key lime pie fan, I tried and LOVE it. I went back the next day and got the "Under the Volcano", which is basically a buffalo chicken sandwich. I ordered it without onions but they still served it with (no big deal). For dessert this time I go the vegan cheesecake which was amazing. The portion sizes are very good (not too much, not too little) and the service is very friendly. My only wish for this place would be for them to hire more vegans...so far all the staff I've encountered are not vegan (some not even vegetarian). Definitely a place I'd highly recommend!

Pros: Tasty Food, Several Options, Excellent desserts
Cons: Employ more vegans
djweather
djweather

I would go there again

3 Posted on 10 / 10 / 2011

Menu looked promising for vegan, vegetarian, and meat-eaters in the group. I ordered the Portebello Sandwich described as "Fresh rosemary, garlic, and balsamic-glazed portobello slices with thinly sliced red onions covered in melted provolone and topped with roasted red pepper aioli. Served on a Kaiser."
It was a soup sandwich. Literally. No portobello slices that I found, only tiny bits of baby bellas, but nothing solid enough to sink the teeth into and the aioli was so thin that everything soaked through the kaiser and I needed a spork to eat my sandwich. The flavor was great - but the sandwich was a mess. Everyone else seemed to enjoy their choices.
I will give The Remedy the benefit of the doubt and hope that the uber-busy First Friday art walk crowd was just too overwhelming. I will give them another try, midday, during the week, and order something besides The Portobello!

Pros: Large portions, Vegan/Veg friendly, Value
Cons: Crowd control, menu description, limited seating
ccreagent
ccreagent

Great veg options, still need to work out kinks

4 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2011

My vegan friend and I (vegetarian) have visited with our omni friends/spouses several times, and we all love it! The Philly faux cheesesteak is great (haven't had one of those in years!), the veggie sloppy joes are great, and the seitan reuben is awesome too. I love that they offer vegan cheese, vegan margarine, vegan mayonnaise, etc. My only complaint is the service...there are still a few kinks that need to get worked out. We had 5 different people checking in on us during one visit, which was a little confusing. I would probably not order anything alcoholic again other than beer. The mixed drinks aren't hitting on much and are pretty pricey. Overall, the food is worth the not-so-perfect service.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday November 10, 2009

Edited 8/17/11 to add - They've revamped their cocktail offerings and have really hit the right note! The service kinks have been worked out, and although the menu has changed (and some of my favorites removed) the food is better than ever! I do agree that the veganized options are a little pricey, but we just keep coming back for more!!

Pros: Lots of veg choices, Vegan substitutions for almost everythin
Cons: Service needs work
raleighvegan
raleighvegan

watch for non-vegan bread

3 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2011

I basically like this restaurant, with two complaints. First, as far as I know ONLY the pita bread is actually vegan, despite what their menu says. Other breads contain a variety of ingredients that are not vegan, including sodium stearyl lactylate, l-cysteine, or honey. I have mentioned this to the waitstaff but the listing hasn't changed on their menu. They get their bread from Neomonde and I have looked at the labels there.* Second, I think charging $2 more to veganize a sandwich is a bit much -- especially when the sandwiches are already around $9-$10.
Updated from previous review on Sunday May 16, 2010
*I think the staff has now addressed the bread situation. They use daiya cheese and tofutti sour cream and offer several vegan side options.

hollip
hollip

i just wanted a salad!

4 Posted on 03 / 26 / 2011

but vegan rubens are one of my favorite foods. i travel all over the country for work and order these on just about every menu i see it on. that was one of the best i have ever had. if i lived in raleigh, i would eat these until i ate so many that the thought of it makes me sick.

Pros: vegan ruben, good drinks, friendly staff
Cons: no all vegane
bombshellfairy
bombshellfairy

Amazing food

4 Posted on 01 / 30 / 2011

Have been a Peskaterian for over a year now and haven't had a such a satisfying meal like this one. Would give it a 5 on the rating if i could. Great Veggie Philly Fake Steak and Veggie Reuben.

Skittles
Skittles

Great food, great prices, great place overall!

4 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2010

My first time visiting this place was tonight with my boyfriend who loves meat, while I am a vegetarian. For the first time since living in Southern California, I was able to order something vegetarian friendly (other than a salad or veggie burger) and not be looked at like I'm insane. I ordered the Philly Fakesteak and my boyfriend ordered the Spicy Turkey sandwich. I wasn't too excited about the mayo on the Fakesteak, but other than that it was absolutely delicious! I'll simply order it sans mayo next time. My boyfriend was over the moon for his spicy turkey. The only desert they had at the end of the night was a banana pudding cake made with actual slices of banana and topped with nuts and chocolate drizzle. I can't believe I've lived here almost 4 years and never heard of this place before! I'll definitely be coming back and trying more!
It's also nice to see beers for less than $5 a bottle! Also, for an appetizer, 3 beers, 2 entrees and a dessert, the total was $40. Not bad!
I would give this place 5 cows, but it won't let me :(

Pros: great vegetarian/vegan options, great prices overall, delicious
Cons: a little expensive for sandwiches
meredith
meredith

starting to go downhill for me...

4 Posted on 03 / 24 / 2010

the last few times I've been, the service has been... well... horrible. When they first opened, it was great and everyone was helpful and friendly.

However, the food hasn't changed... it has remained wonderful, and they have continuously increased their vegan options... they use daiya cheese, I believe. The vegan coconut pie is a must if it's available.

Pros: delicious food
Cons: service, expensive upgrades for veganized food
  • The Remedy The Remedy

Hi Meredith,
    We are sorry to read your review. We'd like to hear specific details about your experience so that we can address the problem. Please feel free to email us at info@theremedydiner.com and you can be sure an owner will address your issues.
    The Remedy Diner

Krutolow
Krutolow

Remedy Diner - worth the wait

4 Posted on 03 / 12 / 2010

It's always a good sign when there's a wait for dinner and although the window and bar seats were availabe we were both in uniform and wanted a chair to sit back in so we waited all of 10 minutes and a table opened up.

I liked that the menu had a full page of vegetarian and vegan options. I like whe the wIt staff knows what you mean when you say "veganize it please". I like when the menu clearly states that everything can be made vegan on request. These things, when in a restaurant that also caters to the desires of carnivors, gives me the warm fuzzies that I'm going to get exactly what I want.

The choices are numerous in all categories and I chose the Buffalo Wings to start. Wow. Great sauce and perfect sized portion. The wing itself was a flat piece of product made by Delicious Soy in Morrisville, NC. It had a great chewy without being rubbery mouthfeel.
The ranch dressing was cool and flavorful and I lapped up the last drop with the celery sticks. I liked this so much I got an order to go.

My entree was a Philly Fakesteak. Fantastic. A great sub starts with the bread and this was a perfect pallet. Nice crust and good flavor. Locally baked I was told. Fresh and perfect. Soy cheese that was so melted and gooey and grilled onions topped off a delicious "meaty" "beefy" soy protein. It all came together in a perfect rendition of what I remember from the old days.

I ordered a vegan brownie for desert and although it had a good flavor I was a little disappointed in it's uniformity. It was like a flat rectangular brownie shaped piece of cKe with a very fine texture. I think I would add some nuts or icing or a scoop of soy icecream to make it more interesting. That being said I of course finished it.

I also ordered the meatball sub to go. I can't vouch for hat it's like when it comes out of the kitchen but 2 days later coming out of the microwave it was phenomenal.

This is my ideal restaurant when I'm on the road. My carnivore associate had his food choices available so there wasn't any armtwisting and se both left more than satisfied.

I wish there was a Remedy Diner around the corner from me.

Pros: Great food, Berry veg*n knowledgable
Cons: Service could be a little tighter
veggie23
veggie23

Delicious Veggie Food!

4 Posted on 11 / 18 / 2009

My husband and I are both vegetarians and we enjoyed sharing several items on our first trip to this restaurant. The chicken wings are awesome! This is something my husband has been missing since becoming a vegetarian 11 years ago. He's always on the lookout for a suitable alternative to a meat version of this dish and he felt these were the best veggie chicken wings he'd ever had. We also shared a chicken parm sub and a steak and cheese sub. This was too much food for the two of us and the steak and cheese came home as left-overs. The chicken sub had an authentic feel and taste and we both enjoyed it. The steak and cheese smelled great and when we ate it later it was as delicious as it smelled. It was a little light on the amount of meat and next time I would ask for double meat. We also got a vegan brownie to go for later and while I liked it, because I tend to like dark chocolate, by husband found it too dry and did not especially enjoy it. Our meal of one appetizer, two main course options, two regular drinks and one brownie came to just under $35 (including tax) plus tip. Service was fast and friendly. Overall we were very happy with the food and the service. We will definitely go back!

Pros: Quality of food, Service
Cons: Small location
dmh
dmh

Great Vegan/vegetarian options!

4 Posted on 10 / 19 / 2009

My parnter and I are both vegan, and we were very excited to find this place and grateful that they opened. The food was delicious and there were a lot of choices for vegetarians and vegans. (i.e. not just veggie burgers) The atmosphere is very laid back, which we both enjoyed, and the service was excellent. We went on a Sat evening the place was packed, yet we still had very friendly and fast service. The prices are also average to what you might find at a pub. They also have a good beer selection.
Thank you to the folks at Remedy for opening an eatery such as this in Raleigh!

Pros: Vegan options/vegetarian options, price, service/atmosphere
Cons: small
Vedas
Vedas

Lunch at Remedy

4 Posted on 10 / 09 / 2009

Visited the Remedy Diner today. Little alternative/trendy place in downtown. Menu is about half veggie items with many of the items vegan for a little extra. A little pricey for a sandwich but the food was high quality. Vegan desserts as well. Look forward to going back and try more items.

Pros: Quality food, Small, Desserts
pschvix
pschvix

Fun, hip, new

3 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2009

Visited the Remedy Diner on a Sunday at lunchtime. The diner channel's alternative punk, with some great artwork on the walls and the tables. Could have done without the really loud Black Sabbath playing during my meal, however. Sampled a vegan hot dog with slaw, relish, and mustard, accompanied by fresh pico de gallo and tortilla chips. Ended with a piece of vegan coconut pie. For $3.95, the hot dog was wonderful and tasted just like I remember from my omnivore days. However, it was just boiled, nothing special. The pie was delicious, if not super fresh. Altogether, a great experience and would enjoy trying some other samplings--vegan reuben, cheesesteaks, meatball subs, etc. Plenty of sandwiches and dishes for the happy carnivore too!

Dear Owner and Manager of The Remedy Diner: