Providing globally inspired vegetarian foods since 2009. Red Lentil offers seasonal menus with daily specials and brunch on Sundays. Makes fresh juices and desserts are baked in-house. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, American, International, Pizza, Bakery, Juice bar, Take-out, Catering
600 Mount Auburn St
Watertown, Massachusetts 02472
617-972-9188
Closed now

Mon-Thu 11:00am-9:30pm, Fri 11:00am-10:00pm, Sat 9:00am-10:00pm, Sun 9:00am-3:00pm, 5:00pm-9:30pm

First Review by az3
veganamanda
veganamanda

Good food

Posted on 04 / 13 / 2014

Red Lentil is one of my favorite places for dinner. It's nice enough to go on a dates, or after work. There are very few "nicer" vegan places in the Boston area (True Bistro and Walnut Grille are pretty much it).

It's a small dining area, and you will be seated pretty close to the people next to you. It's nice and the waiters are attentive. The food is good. My omnivore friends enjoyed their meals. My favorite is the Pistachio & Coconut Herb-Encrusted Tofu with Corn Cake!

Pros: Food
Cons: Small
Babette
Babette

Great brunch

Posted on 01 / 10 / 2014

I had the vegan omelet special, which was just scrambled tofu actually, no omelet per say, but it was very tasty with a delicious mix of regular, blue and sweet potatoes. The place is nice but a crowder for brunch, and the staff is very helpful and friendly.

Pros: Many dishes can be prepared vegan, Friendly staff, Kid-Friendly
Cons: Had to wait to sit
hanny102
hanny102

never disappoints

Posted on 12 / 29 / 2013

Just yummy hearty creative food, and excellent service!

Skunky66613
Skunky66613

Very Tasty Food

Posted on 11 / 16 / 2013

I have been happy with all the meals I have had at this great Vegetarian restaurant. Even stuff I thought I may not like I ended up loving. Very tasty and it proves vegetarian food has variety and doesn't have to be boring. Must try their desserts next time.

Pros: Friendly-Staff, Fun location, Delicious food
wsm
wsm

Get the Gobi Manchurian

Posted on 02 / 03 / 2013

Here's a fun game:
Go to Red Lentil and order the Gobi Manchurian. Then sometime later go back to Red Lentil and try to *not* order the Gobi Manchurian. You won't be able to.

Pros: taste, menu variety, takeout
Cons: too popular == too crowded
  • BostonVegan BostonVegan

OMG, that's so funny ... and so true!

zaphod46
zaphod46

Great Food

Posted on 01 / 28 / 2013

We went there on a Sunday night for dinner and had a wonderful time. The food was all very well presented, tasted great, and had lots of options, even for a vegan gluten free family. We were very impressed. Having recently moved to Boston from LA, we've been missing upscale vegan dining. While the Red Lentil atmosphere is fairly casual, the food was a couple notches higher.

Pros: tasty, presentation
Cons: small seating area
blaineb
blaineb

Wonderful food & service!

Posted on 01 / 26 / 2013

We heard about this place from a very picky friend.
We weren't disappointed!
Our waitperson was attentive tho all tables were occupied.
The food was well prepared and nicely flavored. Both the carrot cake and the apple & pear crisp were perfect.
We will be back!

Joelle81
Joelle81

Love it

Posted on 09 / 01 / 2012

This is one of my favorite restaurants. The food is very flavorful and delicious. I also love the carrot cake.

happyherbivore
happyherbivore

disappointed

Posted on 05 / 29 / 2012

It's rare I feel compelled to write a review, and it saddens me I have to write a poor one. The food was really oily. We ordered 5 dishes and didn't care for any of them (daily special entree, daily salad, grilled tofu, seitan sesame, rice dish, side of miso-ginger dressing that didn't taste like ginger or miso?). Even my husband who generally likes anything was really disappointed. We didn't eat most of the food we ordered and left hungry. I really can't get over how all the food was swimming and dripping in oil. The waitress was nice and but she was also working the entire restaurant AND being the hostess, which means she never came by to see how our food was and after our initial order, we never saw her again until she dropped the check off on her way to seating someone else.

IngridV

crisley
crisley

A definite

Posted on 09 / 01 / 2011

My husband and I took our omni daughter here while visiting her in Boston. We and she thoroughly enjoyed our meals which included an appetizer with unusual spring rolls. The very hearty serving of shepard's pie was sublime, and the pizza hit the spot with omnigirl. Only wish we had room for dessert! Obviously a popular place as many people came in for takeout.

Pros: varied menu, great food, good service
Cons: noisy
Gabe
Gabe

Gourmet but still filling

Posted on 06 / 19 / 2011

I've been here a few times on trips back to Boston and have always been pleased. For an appetizer, try the Gobi Manchurian - out of this world. The baby spinach salad is also amazing, as is the shepherd's pie and most of the desserts. Every time I've been here has been with family and someone has picked up the check, which is nice because price would definitely be a deterrent if I were to come here with other broke 20-somethings. Even so, I think I'd have to splurge once in a while though.

Pros: Entire menu vegan/can be made vegan, Gourmet food, Filling portions
Cons: Price
sglcklch
sglcklch

Simply delicious

Posted on 01 / 12 / 2011

Had dinner here on a weekday evening, no wait line, but it was fairly busy and customers kept coming in. I found the menu interesting and diverse; I really liked the fact that they use a lot of whole ingredients in their dishes instead of all that TVP/TSP fake stuff as do some other restaurants as if they couldn't cook without meat. Also, everything was clearly marked as gluten-free, vegan, or nut-free for those who have allergies. Many of the vegetarian items may be veganized too.

For appetizer my partner and I shared the eggplant caponata with crostini, scrumptious! For entrees we got the black lentil stuffed rice crepes off of the daily special and the pistachio crusted tofu with corn cakes. Both were very good. Then we got a piece of carrot cake to round off our meal. It was satiating, just the right amount of sweetness and frosting; that said I thought it would have been even better if it was spiced up a bit more.

Service was swift, our waitress very friendly and knowledgeable. If I had to nitpick I'd say the decor could use some touch-up. Not that it was dumpy or anything, was just rather dull for such good food that they serve; but this alone will definitely not be able to deter me from coming back.

Pros: great food, friendly staff, diverse menu
Cons: decor
Sarah P
Sarah P

very good

Posted on 07 / 30 / 2010

I ate here for lunch with two friends, and as the we heard the server exclaim to the owner/chef after the meal, we "ate 4 appetizers, 3 meals, and 2 desserts, and finished it all!". She spoke the truth- we ate all the food that was brought out.

For starters we had the beet latkes (not my favorite but my friends loved them), the sesame seitan (very good), the cauliflower appetizer upon the server's recommendation (very good, especially when cooled a bit), and the crostini with various toppings (delicious).

For the meal we had the ceasar salad, the tempeh reuben, & portobello sandwich. You can choose sweet potato fries or salad with sandwiches, and because the sandwiches, fries & salad were all so delicious, I would opt for one of those the next time rather than the ceasar.

For dessert we shared the cheesecake & the carrot cake- the carrot cake was, as the server predicted it may be, the best carrot cake I had ever had.

We were there on a Monday around 1:00, and the restaurant was completely full. We waited 5-10 minutes for a table, and the service was as fast as it could have been given the occupancy. The servers were very friendly & helpful. As we were leaving we were already planning our next outing to the Red Lentil.

Pros: very good food, knowledgeable, friendly staff, varied menu
amberk13
amberk13

Strangely different

Posted on 03 / 25 / 2010

We arrived in the afternoon and saw they had a brunch menu available. We waited about 15 minutes. A server came over and told us that it would be about 10 minutes. There were 2 small groups of guests waiting to be seated and another employee came over about 5 minutes later asking how long we had been waiting, took our names, and told us approximately how long our wait would be. This just seemed strange. While waiting, I went to happycow.com and read the review about how the rug in front was dirty while I was sitting in front of the same dirty rug. We got our table and our menus, ordered our beverages, then a few minutes later our meals. I ordered the Banana Wanna Date? smoothie: banana, dates, and homemade cashew milk. Yum! For entrees, we had the huevos rancheros, grande nachos, and the tempeh reuben. Portion sizes are big and the food is good, but served in a slightly strange way. Here's why. The huevos rancheros was a plate of black beans, corn tortillas, avocados, eggs, and salad. No refried beans and no connection to the items on the plate. All of the items were there on the plate, but not as expected, and the expected salsa that usually unifies the dish was not there at all. The nachos are served on an unusually small plate and doused with sour cream. The good thing was the fresh jalapeƱos and the really good guacamole, but they easily could have put the nachos on the bigger plate and the huevos rancheros on this small plate. The last entree was the tempeh reuben with grilled onions, organic sauerkraut, and thick, crusty, toasted bread. This was really good and quite filling. My only suggestion would be for them to marinate the tempeh before cooking, but other than that, this was great. No one checked back on us or offered to refill beverages until we were completely finished with our meal. They have a strange set up with employees here. Seems like anyone can take the order and bring out the meal so no one seems truly responsible for service. The server who took the order did a good job although I suspect she could only do so much within this system. Looks like there are two cooks, possibly 3, two servers, and a busboy working this small restaurant. At times they were all standing around near the register. This restaurant could really do well with some fine tuning and a good scrubbing (windows, walls, floors). The food is good, but they can try harder. I will go back and I hope by then they are getting the hang of running this restaurant.

Pros: Parking, Vegan menu, Some of the service
Cons: Some of the service, Restaurant needs a good cleaning
anngurka
anngurka

excellent veg food

Posted on 11 / 27 / 2009

The menu contains a good variety of vegetarian and vegan dishes. The staff is helpful and very welcoming. This is a great addition to this area!

Pros: good selection, take out available, friendly atmosphere
judyremz
judyremz

Red Lentil - a great addition to Boston

Posted on 11 / 22 / 2009

Four of us enjoyed a very good dinner at The Red Lentil. Really liked the cauliflower appetizer. Also like the portabello mushrooms strips. I had a mustard tempeh with which had just the right amount of tanginess. Portions are very generous and everything is presented in an attractive way. My only complaint was that the waitress didn't have timing down quite right. She asked us is we were ready to order about 2 seconds after we sat down. She later served us our main dishes before we had completed our appetizers. They take reservations on weekends which is a good idea as they have had long lines.

Pros: interesting menu options, large portions
Cons: service was a little rushed
az3
az3

Great find on a visit to the Boston area

Posted on 10 / 12 / 2009

This was a very pleasant surprise during a recent business visit. This was not too far from Waltham. The vegetarian choices are great. I have tried the Millet Loaf and Nirvana Delight and they were both very good. The vegan Chocolate Cake was simply incredible. They were willing to make small changes to accommodate my dislike of bananas (in the smoothie)! The prices are a bit high but well worth it for a special treat.

Pros: great taste, friendly service

Dear Owner and Manager of Red Lentil: