Serves meat, veg options available. Attached to a restaurant called La Cucina di Ciro which is not veg, but The Pudding Shop is run by a vegan chef, and meat is cooked in a separate kitchen. Menu is primarily vegetarian and vegan with breakfast and lunch food, cakes and desserts including vegan ones. Colorful interior. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Ovo, Italian, Take-out, Non-veg
43, 7th Ave, Parktown North (La Cucina di Ciro)
Johannesburg, South Africa

Tue-Sun 8:30am-4:30pm

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by lilliebliss
Anomaly
Anomaly

All sorts of yummy things...

Posted on 11 / 18 / 2015

The Pudding Shop's atmosphere is lovely. Its wall creepers and decor contribute to a general sense of openness.

I've visited The Pudding Shop on a number of occasions, and have eaten a variety of food including their red bean burger, waffles, Indian tasting plate and vegetable millefeuille. Each portion has been delicious.

Yummy desserts! So many yummy vegan desserts. It's a pity that I have limited stomach space.

My mother and I often have arguments about restaurants, as I am vegan and she is not. The Pudding Shop is ideal for us as it serves non-vegan food as well, and hence caters to a broad range of people.

One of the Pudding Shop's main cons is its terribly slow service. I've seen customers leave abruptly after waiting too long for food or having been ignored. However, slow service aside, the staff have always been friendly.

Overall, my experience of the Pudding Shop has been positive, and I would recommend this restaurant to any veggies who'd enjoy a delicious and laid-back breakfast or lunch.

Pros: Excellent food, Great atmosphere
Cons: Slow service
xjamiex
xjamiex

sadly stopped at the gate

Posted on 02 / 14 / 2015

It looked nice from the outside, but the rude security guard /parking attendant looked up from his cell phone, made some hand gestures I didn't understand and made it clear that he wasn't interested in assisting with parking. I tried again, after circling the block looking for a safe place to park.

I'm sure the food is great based on the other reviews, but unfortunately I would likely have gotten better customer service at a McDonalds than their bored and rude parking attendant displayed.

Pros: looks nice on the outside
Cons: rude frustrating gate keeper , not actually able to exchange money for nourishmen
Veganoms
Veganoms

Amazing food!

Posted on 12 / 12 / 2014

First of all, I have to say that this place deserved five stars. I think it's a bit ridiculous that you can only give max four stars to places that are veg*n friendly especially in a city that doesn't have many options. We went here for breakfast today and my husband and I are thoroughly impressed! I had the butternut waffle and my husband had the tofu schwarma. We finished the meal with the carrot pineapple cake which was incredible. Not only is the cake vegan, but it's the best cake I have had in SA; moist, not overly sweet, incredible. Everything we ate was fantastic and I can't wait to go back. The only con was the table of very loud hipster women next to us, but this not the restaurants fault.

Pros: vegan options labeled on the menu with "VV", Nice atmosphere and good service, delicious food
Cons: Beware of the hipsters

Limia
Limia

Vegan Heaven

Posted on 05 / 10 / 2014

Trendy, upmarket & the best place to spend your Saturday morning! Zeus has a heart of gold & cooks the most delicious Vegan food. Gourmet vegan at its best! Was lucky enough to have Valentines Day dinner there, I wish it were open most nights! I know where I'll be getting my birthday cake from :-)

lilliebliss
lilliebliss

Vegan Pudding and Yummy Lunch

Posted on 04 / 11 / 2014

This little Pudding Shop hidden away behind popular Italian Mediterranean restaurant La Cucina di Ciro in Parktown North is run by a vegan chef, Zeus and owned by Ciro and Clara, owners of the main restaurant. Zeus himself is Vegan and he is incredibly clued up. He knows a lot about veganism and he cooks and bakes incredible vegan items.

There are also meat dishes on the menu but they are prepared in a different area. The Chocolate cake is absolutely phenomenal. So is the coconut french toast (which is some sort of cake coated in coconut and served with home made almond milk ice cream! yum!)

This restaurant is accommodating, a little hot inside in the summer, but beautifully decorated and unique. I would also recommend La Cucina di Ciro for dinner - they will always provide a vegan option for you, but the waiters are very busy at night, so just specify what you don't eat. Ask Ciro himself for a recommendation off menu. Soup is often vegan, hold the cream or yoghurt decoration.

It's such fun to be able to order vegan waffles and ice cream or imaginative French toast for breakfast!

Pros: Delicious Chocolate cake, Fantastic lentil and bean burger, Beautiful location
Cons: Pricey but worth it

Dear Owner and Manager of The Pudding Shop: