The Prince George

Has a non-smoking area that doubles as the "family room" until 7pm - children not allowed after 7pm. Pizza Sundays from 6.30pm. Pub open until 10pm. May be difficult for vegans. Previously named The George. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Lacto, Fast food, Beer/Wine

First Review by Stevie
imogenmichel
imogenmichel

Very nice vegan pub food

5 Posted on 06 / 05 / 2014

After reading previous reviews of this place, I didn't have very high expectations of their vegan options, but I wanted to give it a try anyway. I was very pleasantly surprised to find a wide range of vegan pub grub on the menu, and when I ordered the vegan nachos was asked if I would like vegan cheese on it, which I hadn't expected. The food itself was delicious and a large portion with very tasty salsa, vegan chilli and guacamole. It's not haute cuisine, but it's excellent vegan pub food!

Pros: Delicious vegan pub grub, Vegan cheese options, Friendly and helpful
Stephamoose
Stephamoose

Could try harder!

3 Posted on 05 / 27 / 2014

A wonderful, cosy little pub with a really nice atmosphere. I was dining with a vegetarian, and we ordered the same meal - the chilli dog. My friend got cheese and sour cream but I as a vegan did not. I noticed the table next to us also ordered a vegan burger, which arrived without dairy alternatives. I was really disappointed that the effort was not made to add cheese and other dairy alternatives to the vegan food. We're in Brighton, you can get that stuff so easily! The meal was so delicious I would have given five stars if I had had cheese and mayo! Try harder please Prince George!

Pros: not too expensive, lovely atmosphere, excellent st
Cons: no dairy alternatives
Matty
Matty

Carbohydrate King

2 Posted on 02 / 10 / 2014

Most of the food is very carbohydrate heavy. Burgers, Falafel, Burritos, chips. No vegetable side dishes available. Which is odd as vegetarians like vegetables. If your looking for something to soak up the beer then this is for you. If your looking for a proper meal Brighton has better on offer.
Updated from previous review on Monday February 10, 2014

Pros: Soaks up the beer.
Cons: No vegetable side dishes., Menu is too carbohydrate heavy.
Dimgaerwen
Dimgaerwen

Pleasantly surprised

5 Posted on 11 / 06 / 2013

We recently moved to the area, but we did visit the Prince George on 2 occasions prior to our move. Firstly, cack in June 2011. The landlord was very accomodating, and went out of his way for us. Once he discovered we were on our honeymoon, he provided a round of drinks.
Secondly, more recently, we popped in whilst spending a week looking for a flat. We decided to get something to eat, before going to the statoin to go home. We had the Vegan options of the Baked Buritto and I had the Chilli Dog. Both meals more than exceeded our expectations, both in how tasty and fulfilling they were - certainly got our money's worth.
I'm surprised to see some of the poorer reviews on here, but can only judge by my own experience. The staff were lovely and the food was great. I would recommend to many of my friends.

Pros: Great food, Pleasant staff, Nice atmosphere
Cons: It was raining outside, We were going home again, Staff couldn't change previous cons

KarenVargaV
KarenVargaV

Popular - and rightly so.

4 Posted on 10 / 08 / 2013

I visited on Sunday the 15th September. Got there about 8pm.
I was a pub quiz evening so was packed out, which was good to see.
Unfortunately all of the Sunday roasts had run out, but I had a great smoked tofu and peanut Asian noodle salad.
The person behind the bar wasn't sure if any of the real ales were vegan, which was a shame, so I ended up with a bottled cider instead.
There was soya milk for my tea :)
I really liked this pub and I am deeply jealous of everyone who lives in or near Brighton - up here in the Midlands we don't have anything like the range of choice or quality offered in Brighton, and we have to travel to get it.

Pros: Lots of vegan options on menu, Soya milk for tea/coffee, Busy and buzzing atmosphere
Cons: Lots of vegan options sold out, Bar staff not informed about beers on sa, Hard to find somewhere to sit and eat.
paperbagblog
paperbagblog

Could be so good

2 Posted on 09 / 22 / 2013

Used to be one of the best pubs in Brighton, but over the years the standard has gotten worse and worse. The last time I popped in the Sunday roast was inedible - I have never eaten anything so salty. Hideous. Such a shame, as it could be such a great place. Have been given glasses with lipstick on, burgers with cheese in, even though I specified vegan - which was returned with a new burger, same (cold) chips. A fair few vegan options, and have tried the burger since the cheese incident, and it is pretty good.

Pros: Fair few vegan options.
Cons: Food is hit and miss.
CLRtraveller
CLRtraveller

Pub with microbrews AND a vegetarian menu - wow

5 Posted on 12 / 10 / 2012

Local craft beer on draught. All vegetarian menu! I had a big bowl of winter vegetable minestrone soup (with kale, white beans) with thyme butter and parmesan. Vegan options available on several items. Very filling with a thick slice of granary bread. Another time I shared the sizzling lentil fajitas with guacamole and salsa. Yum.
Vegetarian pubs don't exist where I come from, so this is special.

Pros: veg'n menu, vegan options to vegetarian items, tasty food
lh1986
lh1986

• non-vegetarian

Incredibly tasty food!

5 Posted on 07 / 09 / 2012

I am surprised to see some poor reviews for this place as we had exceptional service and food.

Both our meals; falafal board and italian bean burger were super tasty and of a good portion size. Best of all however was the vegan ice cream sundae, this was probably one of the best vegan desserts I have had outside of London. The staff were all pleasant and the pub had a nice relaxed atmosphere. Prices are very reasonable also.

I hope we will enjoy it just as much on our return trip later this summer.

Pros: excellent menu, good value, relaxed atmosphere
Nostoc
Nostoc

Good Veg Pub Grub

5 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2011

Excellent vegetarian pub with a decent menu. Always lots of vegan options available. I've eaten there several times & have no complaints.

Pros: Vegan stuff
nigeltart
nigeltart

A shadow of its former self

3 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2011

I booked our usual table for grandma's birthday recently, but got a horrible surprise when we turned up.

At 7pm they were already pumping out loud music and it felt like a city centre bar, not the cosy pub we knew and loved.

While we were debating whether to stay, there was a tense atmosphere and we then realised the landlord was threatening to call the police if a drunk didn't leave.

When I booked, they hadn't even bothered to tell me children were no longer welcome after 7, so we wasted an hour and two taxis. We eventually went to Food for Friends and had a great time.

I never thought I'd say this about a veggie pub, but I hope it closes soon! There's still chance for someone else to turn it back into the friendly, family pub it always used to be.

...and what's the deal with the 5-star rating system? I want to give it 0, but the lowest available rating is 2. Grrr!

Updated from previous review on Sunday January 02, 2011

Update, 6 June 11:
I bowed to family pressure and we gave it another go recently (17:30 on Saturday).

Much nicer atmosphere today. The decor is much improved (from a year ago) and the clientele was chilled. Music still upbeat but not too loud for my hearing-impaired mum to cope with.

The standard menu was pretty, erm, standard: burgers, falafel, etc. The list of specials was much more appealing. My thai curry was spot on. The risotto looked sodden and overcooked, but still got the thumbs up for taste.

Great to see my previous experience wasn't representative, but it still struggles to compete with my favourites (Iydea, Loving Hut, Food for Friends, Planet India).

Cons: No children, Music too loud, Aggressive punters
  • Mugwa75 Mugwa75

I am very disappointed to read of the poor experiences previous customers have had at the Prince George and would like to offer my sincere apologies.
    As the new manager of the Prince George from the 17th January 2011 I have made many changes and feel the issues raised in these reviews have been addressed.
    We now offer an extensive vegetarian and vegan menu that includes many vegan options which are clearly labelled 'V.O' (Vegan option). Our menu changes every day and all of our dishes are prepared from fresh ingredients on site daily. Last week we were voted in the top 10 most vegetarian friendly pubs in the UK by 'PETA'.
    We also offer many vegetarian and vegan, alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, with vegetarian wines, vegan and vegetarian beers and ciders all available.
    We now also take bookings of any size every day, except on Fridays and Saturdays from 5pm onwards, when we only take bookings for parties of 4 or more people. We are a very family friendly pub with children welcome until 7pm every day, high chairs, colouring pens and paper and play-dough are available.
    Our music system has been modified so we can now offer louder and quieter areas of the pub, and we aim to select music that is appropriate for the time of week and ambience our customers require.
    We work tirelessly at the Prince George to ensure we are one of the best pubs in Brighton and would love for you to come and give our pub another try.
    Many thanks,
    Ben Murray
    Manager
    01273 681055

Denise Friend
Denise Friend

Staff at the George Pub in Brighton need some trai

2 Posted on 06 / 03 / 2011

For the second time in 2 weeks we were told that the George had no Soya Milk! On the first occasion I remarked to the person serving us (who apparently was the assistant manager) that it was odd that a veggie vegan pub didn't have soya milk. Her response was that they were not obliged to stock soya milk and the last time they bought a carton they threw half of it away. We left and took our custom to Ideas, where we had pleasant service, delicious vegan cake and soya milk for our tea! The second time there were 5 vegans wanting tea. One of our party went and bought a carton of Soya milk, the George declined to pay for it and charged us the full price for the tea. Where does the George get off treating people like this? Not only is it rude, but it is also bad business practice.

Pros: Nice environment, Nice food, cant think of a 3rd
Cons: Treating vegans with contempt, Rude staff, very poor customer service
vegantraveller
vegantraveller

Still not as good as before, but its getting there

4 Posted on 03 / 24 / 2011

I went to The George today after not going since they changed owners. The menu was good, there is a lot for vegans compared to a few months ago. However there is no vegan cheese, but the nachos were just as great without it. It would have been nice to have the option though. The staff is very friendly and the atmosphere was fun. This would be a great place to hang out in with friends on the weekend. I'd like to go again and try the burrito!

Pros: Lots for vegans, Friendly staff
Cons: No vegan cheese
gra26264
gra26264

will definately eat here again

5 Posted on 03 / 18 / 2011

I was at the george on sunday at lunch time,I found a good selection of ales,a vegetarian menu that had at least five vegan options on it,we had sweet potato and ginger wellington and chestnut, mushroom and spinach nut roast with soy broiled greens,onion mash carrots and roast potatoes,friendly landlord and staff,quick service,excellent tasty food,good beer,fairly reasonably priced,hard to fault really

Pros: plenty of vegan options, tasty food, good beer
Brian78
Brian78

Gone downhill!

2 Posted on 12 / 05 / 2010

The George, now called the Prince George used to be great for vegans but sadly after two changes in the management the pub's now terrible! It is still vegetarian but now has very few vegan options, just the usual falafel & pita and falafel burgers that you could probably find in any Brighton pub or cafe.

The wines used to be marked vegetarian or vegan but they now have no vegan wines & only one that's even vegetarian.

I certainly wouldn't bother eating here if you're in Brighton - there are SO many better options!

Cons: Bad for vegans, Loud music, Staff don't care
captain_sensible
captain_sensible

Memories of a great veggie pub........

2 Posted on 11 / 22 / 2010

The George USED to be bloomin' great but the people who run it these days probably never frequented the place in it's glory days as the standards have fallen dramatically.

Although it is a still a vegetarian pub I very much doubt if many (or any?) of the staff are of this persuasion for a lot of the menu consists of 'pretend' meat dishes in a similar way to what you have plonked in front of you when visiting a meat eaters house for dinner (IE: carnivores think that unless it LOOKS and smells like a meat dish it isn't really a proper meal)

This is all a bit of a tragedy because the George was really one of the best veggie pubs in the country, fantastic food and great beer all within staggering distance of Brighton Station.

How I miss the 'George Salad' with its roasted veg and sun dried tomatoes sprinkled with toasted seeds, the sumptuous Mediterranean mezzo platter and the generously proportioned 'George burger' - and then there were the ever changing specials of the day on the blackboard.

Those were the days when they had a decent chef..... it seems to me whoever is manning the galley these days is cooking by numbers.

I will check in to the George again in a while though hoping for the best so if the owners happen to read this I do so hope they can restore the culinary reputation of this fine pub apon which I will re-assess my review accordingly.

Pros: Good beer
Cons: Boring menu, Not veggie chef, Pretend meat dishes
littledude
littledude

Great!

4 Posted on 11 / 14 / 2010

My friends and I ate at the George and had a brilliant time.

We arrived quite late and the staff and chef were very accomodating and friendly.

We read in other reviews that they no longer had vegan options marked on the menu but were happy to see that this was not the case and there was planty of choice for everyone.

A couple of us would have liked to have slightly bigger portions but apart from that, the food was really lovely and there was a great pub atmosphere.

Pros: Vegan Options, Nice Staff, Yummy food
Cons: slightly small portions
davey_miles
davey_miles

VEGANS SHOULD AVOID AT ALL COSTS

2 Posted on 06 / 07 / 2010

The management has recently changed hands and for the worst. They no longer list Vegan dishes on their menu and the staff are pretty unsure of what is Vegan. There is also no Vegan wine any longer too. I ordered a burger that I was promised would be Vegan. It came smothered in cheese, which I sent back. Within seconds the same burger was returned to me with a poor attempt at scraping off the cheese. It was once again returned and the the member of staff laughed embarrassingly. Appauling.

Cons: Not suitable for vegans, Clueless staff
Loulou
Loulou

Very disappointing or Vegans

2 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2010

Went to the George pub last night (now called the Prince George) and we were very disappointed. Nothing on the menu was marked vegan and most things were very heavy on the cheese. We asked a waitress what was suitable for Vegans and she didn't really know. She just said we could have the falafel burger or falafel pitta without the tzatiki. It's a big let down for Vegans as there isn't one solely vegan item on the menu so you'd have to make to with a vegetarian meal with something left off which you've paid for. Luckily we hadn't ordered any drinks at this stage so we left and went to planet India over the road (which was amazing!!)

Cons: Not one Vegan item on Menu
MagieMagie
MagieMagie

Not as good as it was

2 Posted on 05 / 09 / 2010

I used to love the George - in my opinion, it was the best pub in town and had great and not too expensive vegetarian (with vegan and gluten-free options) meals.

When I came back to Brighton after travelling in April, I notice the place was close for refurbishment. As it re-opened, I decided to visit the place with friends to celebrate my birthday - the celebration took place yesterday.

I was first disappointed because I couldn't make a reservation but decided that since it was a Saturday, it was understandable. When we got in (around 8.00 pm), the place was full and looked really nice - the (now 'Prince') George needed some work done and it looks great. However, the kitchen closed at 8.30 instead of 9.00 because they ran out of food (?!), which my friends and I were told after some of us had ordered and others were waiting. We weren't allowed to bring food in from elsewhere (although this meant that some of us would not eat as the others got their meals) which was annoying. Since I had told friends to meet at the George, we couldn't really leave anyway, in case others showed up.

The menu has changed a little but still offers typical pub meals (burgers, chips, chili, pasta, kebabs, sandwiches, etc.). They changed some of the beers on tap, still sell Guinness (not vegetarian), and I didn't feel like the staff knew whether the other beers were vegetarian or not.

I might go back to see whether they got their act back together, but wouldn't invite lots of friends for a celebration anymore.

Oh, and one last thing: while refurbishing the pub, the owners didn't change their toilets much (painted, but that's it) and therefore they remain inaccessible for disabled people - it would have been nice for them to take their needs into account.

Pros: good pub food, gluten-free options
Cons: noisy, not only vegetarian beers
yogs
yogs

not as good..........

3 Posted on 04 / 04 / 2010

really disapointed with our last vist to the pub, has it changed hands?, no specials on the wall, and the menu isnt as it was-not many vegan meals, but still a nice pub to have a drink,(stowford press cider on tap!), oh, and one last thing, the music was gash!, come on "george" get it back together again

Pros: cider
Cons: too little vegan food, crap music
  • Caryne Caryne

Can anyone confirm if this place is still operating as a veggie pub? I heard it's been sold to a chain and the website doesn't seem to exist anymore.

• eat right eat right

Caryne. It never was a Vegetarian pub...It sold non Vegetarian beer, it had lost before it had started...

gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Fantastic good time, vegan burgers and jackets

4 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2009

The George is a great place. Stop in for a beer and their burger specials, like the Elvis. We went for the regular George and jacket potatoes with vegan beans. Service and food is fantastic. If you want to be a total glutton bar hop down a few streets and split the spicey vegan burger at the Eagle, too.

Pros: Vegan low fat options, baked potatoes, baked beans
Miggi
Miggi

Got time? Enjoy!

3 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2009

Relaxed veggie pub with veggie and vegan pub grub.
Hot drinks include soya cappuccino and hot chocolate.
The George has always been a bit hit and miss as a dining experience - bear in mind it is a pub that does food from a small kitchen, rather than a restaurant.
You may arrive to find half the menu crossed off the blackboard as they have run out of almost everything, or to be told that they're not taking orders for an hour while the kitchen "catches up".
If it's busy it can take AGES for your food to arrive, so it's NOT the place to go if you are in a hurry. (Luckily, there are other places to go nearby if you are in a hurry).
Once it is with you, it will be a good satisfying plateful of food. Their roast is usually really good, they also do stuff like Thai green curry, burger salad & chips, bangers and mash. All reasonable quality at reasonable prices.
Great for a relaxing afternoon in the pub.
Must admit I preferred it before the recent redecoration, with all the posters on the walls and grunginess - they have kept the toilets pretty grotty as a reminder of the old times, I noticed :-)

Pros: Vegan options, Roast dinner, Veggie pub!
Cons: Waiting
Shockingfish
Shockingfish

has got a lot better

4 Posted on 12 / 08 / 2008

Since it has been refurbished it has become a lot better. However the selection of vegan food has gone down but it is still one of the best pubs in town.

Pros: good size portions
raphalla
raphalla

Favorite Nite-time Restaurant

4 Posted on 11 / 24 / 2008

We do not drink, so we went there purely for its food. The food taste very good but some South American food can be a bit spicy. You order and pay at the bar counter. The service can be a bit slow and some of the waiters/waitresses is not very friendly or helpful.
It can be noisy in time as well.

Pros: Food, Price, Opening time
Cons: Service, Atmosphere
spud
spud

Great pub Grub

4 Posted on 09 / 22 / 2008

the food is always spot on, sometimes a little expensive compared to other pubs, but i feel you pay for what you get, most of my friends love this place and the fact they can do most things vegan is great. If in brighton i'd try and check out this place

Pros: excellent food, vegan options, they sell beer
Debbo
Debbo

Fab for vegan wine & food

4 Posted on 04 / 12 / 2008

My partner & I love visiting The George on day trips to Brigton, but having read some poor reviews we were sceptical on our latest trip in March. Happily were not disappointed. We both had 2 huge vegan burgers, plenty of chips & a basic salad with a delicious dressing. It was 5pm ish when we arrived so not as manic as at lunchtime. It's a real treat to be able to select a glass of vegan wine and a cup of tea with soya milk in a pub. There was enough vegan selection on the menu, & they also serve veggie & vegan tapas if that's your thing. Would recommend The George to anyone looking for reasonably priced veg/vegan food.

Pros: Good food, Good wine
c h r i s t i n a
c h r i s t i n a

Such a shame.

2 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2008

I used to love coming to this pub for a filling meal with huge portions, great vegan choice, friendly staff and value for money. None of this remains though. Taking a while to arrive, both meals were almost cold. My 'vegan' burger came covered in cheese, and when I questioned this the girl at the bar grabbed the plate without an apology, and I returned to my seat. My drink had lipstick all over the glass. When I got my meal back the chips and salad remained- the chips now even colder. I wont be returning and I hope that the George can somehow get back its once valued reputation.

Pros: Vegan options.
Cons: Cold food, Mistakes in order, Dirty
Guest
Guest

Can be great

4 Posted on 01 / 06 / 2008

It's easy to be critical of a pub today when most gastro and chain pubs all offer deals on food and booze. The George is a vegetarian ild styled pub with a pub atmosphere. Yes it can seem a bit grubby but that is pub experience. If you want lavish surroundings and cotton serviettes then this is not the right place.
The food portions are enormous and the vegan selection is great with some veggie options that they can make vegan for you.
The serice can at busy times be slow but hey, sit down have a drink and relax that's what it's all about. The food is worth the extra wait. I think it is great that it get busy with people all eating veggie food and whan i leave i walk past the other empty pubs.
Now with the smoking ban the experience is better for people who want to eat their food without the forced smoke in their faces.
On the downside i do not like to see children in pubs in the evening as their time is during the day. I don't like screaming kids running round while i am eating and drinking and trying to relax. Maybe there should be child free zones for those who do not want the hassel of children disturbing their dinner times.

Pros: Big portions, Pub atmosphere, Vegan friendly
Cons: Children, Bad behaved parents
Caryne
Caryne

Not as good as it was

2 Posted on 07 / 01 / 2007

I've been going here for a few years but really going downhill. The tables were grubby, the food took a long time to arrive and, on two occasions, it was only lukewarm and had to be sent back. To make matters worse when my partner complained the bar staff got quite nasty with him. Some of the dishes are still very nice but don't think I'll be going again. Vegan desserts are non-existant, mostly.

Pros: Fairly cheap
Cons: Lukewarm food, slow service, quite grubby
Stevie
Stevie

The George, Brighton

4 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2006

Boozer in Brighton selling vegetarian food. Nice atmo in the place. I haven't been in Brighton for a while but more than happy to eat at the George again. Central location.

Dear Owner and Manager of The Prince George: