The Pop Shop

Serves meat, veg options available. 1950s style American diner and soda fountain type restaurant. Has vegan cheese for grilled cheese, sriram cheese steak, and other sandwiches. Also make vegan pancakes and buffalo tofu, 1 to 2 flavors of soy ice cream to make vegan sundae and float. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, American, Non-veg

First Review by MaureenKoplow
s144799
s144799

Good pancakes

4 Posted on 12 / 25 / 2013

Really enjoy the pancakes, veg ice cream, and tofu scramble which are all veg. One of the only diners in the area to serve veg options.

Pros: Good pancakes
Cons: Can be noisy and busy
ckoebernik
ckoebernik

Veggie/Vegan Options Hit or Miss

3 Posted on 06 / 30 / 2013

I went to the Pop Shop for the first time almost two years ago with a few friends, one of whom raved about the place. And I have to admit, I was impressed. I loved the 1950's atmosphere and the friendly staff. I ordered a veggie burger and a vegan milkshake. Both were fantastic, especially the vegan milkshake. It's a little pricey, but totally worth it. However, once I moved to Collingswood and had the option to visit a bit more often, I wasn't as happy about the other meals. This includes the vegetarian cheesesteak and the quesadilla. I found the seitan in the wrap to be a bit bland. Seitan itself has a great texture that really lends itself to imitating that of meat, but it does require a lot of seasoning, and I felt that it fell a bit short for me. The quesadilla I liked even less. The cheese used was very chalky and didn't melt enough to allow the sides of the tortilla to stick. By no means would I write the place off, and would still go back to try some of the other options, but I wouldn't try either of those options, or anything with their vegan cheese again. But it's definitely worth the visit just to sit at the bar and have a bowl or ice cream and share a side of their seasoned
fries.

Pros: Vegan ice cream, Atmosphere, Service
Cons: Some vegan options not well prepared, Fries don't come with sandwiches/burgers, Vegan cheese chalky and bland
DivaKeke25
DivaKeke25

Terrible breakfast

2 Posted on 10 / 30 / 2012

We stopped here for breakfast on a whim, and I really wish we hadn't. There were really only 2 vegan options on the menu- tofu scramble and "vegan Bettys" (pancakes). The scramble was decent, but the tofu wasn't pressed or seasoned. The Bettys were terrible. They were bland, and so dry that they only way to get them down was to drown them in maple syrup. When I told a server that I wasn't happy with them, they weren't removed from my bill and I had a really hard time for the next 10 minutes to get any member on staff to come talk to me. This place would be great if they didn't half-ass their vegan menu- they have just enough to call themselves "vegan friendly", but are missing critical pieces to complete a diner-style vegan meal. No vegan butter for the pancakes, no vegan sausage or bacon, no soy whip for the sundaes, etc. etc. etc. I was excited to see a place in South Jersey with vegan options, but just having something vegan isn't good enough. The food actually needs to be good, too!

Pros: some vegan options
Cons: noise, service when you need help
mariaiswaycool
mariaiswaycool

Wonderful!

4 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2012

I loved this place! I went there with two of my friends (also vegan), and we were thrilled when we realized how many vegan options were on the menu. In classic diner fashion, breakfast is served all day. We got tofu buffalo "wings" (triangles) to start, and the server made sure to tell us that honey was included in the sauce. We thought this was very thoughtful since some vegans do not eat honey. One friend got the tofu scramble with soy cheese and a vegan pancake on the side. The tofu scramble was pretty good, but the hash browns were cooked perfectly. The single pancake was huge! It was delicious. My other friend got a veggie cheesesteak that came on a wonderful baguette. Again, great. I got a vegan grilled cheese on rye with tomato, onion, and avocado. This was a great decision. The rye bread was wonderful, and the sandwich was cooked just right. Overall, the restaurant had food that reminded me of a classic diner. Despite the grease, I was glad to have some good diner food. Would give it 5 stars if I could.

Pros: Diner, Good value, Vegan Options!

CarlyQ
CarlyQ

Love!!

4 Posted on 05 / 29 / 2012

I am absolutely thrilled about this! I used to love the pop shop and am so happy they have added vegan options so I can now go there with my family and my friends as I used to when I was younger and not a vegan! The vegan grilled cheese and milkshakes honestly have made my summer. THANK YOU!

Pros: Fun atmosphere, Great food, Friendly staff
MaureenKoplow
MaureenKoplow

Good food, Lots of Noise!

4 Posted on 05 / 01 / 2012

The Pop Shop has quite a few vegetarian and several vegan options. It's a very family friendly place, and the staff is helpful. Just one very important warning - it's NOISY! The accoustics are bad, and the noise level can get painfully high. There's a juke box that adds to the decibels. If you've got kids, you're probably used to it, but if loud sounds bother you, don't go on a Saturday morning! On the plus side, there are blueberry vegan pancakes, veggie sauge, and veggie burgers with lots of choices for toppings. The fries are marvelous and there are a lot of varieties.

Pros: Veggie burgers, Veggie sausage, Vegan pancakes
Cons: Noise, Noise, Noise

Dear Owner and Manager of The Pop Shop: