The Plant Cafe Organic -...

Serves meat, veg options available. Organic cafe with a few locations in San Francisco. Offers an extensive menu featuring raw juices, smoothies, soups, panini sandwiches and veggie burgers, Asian-style main entrees. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, American, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by VeganTex
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

The Plant Cafe Organic - Downtown

4 Posted on 11 / 11 / 2011

I don't know why I didn't try Plant Cafe Organic during my last SF visit, but I will say I was certainly missing out! I'm so in love with Plant Organic that I ended up eating there three times (once at the pier, downtown, and airport location). If you're like me, tired of fake meats, this is the place for you. They have the most amazing burger called the Plant Burger, the patty is made in-house from lentils, mushrooms, beets, cashews & bulgur wheat served with tomato, grilled onions, lettuce, house-made pickles, vegan aioli & side salad (get it on the wheat bread). I loved this burger so much that I ate it for lunch 3 days in a row, what can I say? It was just awesome! The downtown location was overcrowded, if you go during lunch, forget about finding a seat - I took my meal to-go. But despite how busy they are during lunch, they were pretty quick with the carry out orders. Unfortunately I forgot to ask for the wheat bread this time around and ended up with the bun, I much prefer the wheat bread as the bun is pretty average. Overall, Plant Cafe Organic is one of my favorites in SF, however, the pier location definitely my favorite for the views and atmosphere. (5 cows - the site won't let me rate it above 4)

ericgoldman
ericgoldman

Fun Restaurant

4 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2011

My son Jacob and I patronized the location right by the Embarcadero BART station (101 California Street). At lunchtime, it's a high-volume operation. Order at the counter, hunt for a seat, and wait for the food to arrive.

We tried four dishes: the Plant Burger, Masala Vegetable Stew, Shiitake Spring Rolls (we took it for later) and a Chocolate-Banana Smoothie. The Plant Burger was a little disappointing after all the Yelp raves. My son rejected it outright; I thought the burger was average. Personally, I think Source has the best veggie burger in town. The Masala Vegetable Stew, which comes with some nice flatbread, tasted excellent, was a generous portion, and was priced attractively. My son hijacked my bowl and ate most of the stew. The Shiitake Spring Rolls were tasty but fairly expensive for what you get. The Chocolate-Banana Smoothie was fantastic, but it had an unexpectedly "adult" chocolate taste that I expected my son would reject. He loved it anyway. My overall assessment was strongly positive, and I'm sure we'll be back. I know some reviewers have complained about the price. We spent about $35 for our meal, and I thought that was fair.

I noted that my old law firm (Cooley Godward) is in the same building. If I still worked at the law firm and had this restaurant in the building, I would eat there nearly every day. We need more restaurant options like Plant Cafe. Please come to the South Bay!

VeganTex
VeganTex

Plant Cafe - Downtown

4 Posted on 09 / 29 / 2010

Love the Plant Cafe....awesome vegan burger. Glad to see them open a place in the financial district.

Dear Owner and Manager of The Plant Cafe Organic - Downtown: