The Plant Cafe Organic -...

Serves meat, veg options available. Organic food cafe and restaurant with 3 locations in San Francisco. Offers an extensive menu featuring raw juices, smoothies, soups, panini sandwiches and veggie burgers, Asian-style main entrees, and American cuisine. The sit-down restaurant is across from the takeaway. Has vegan baked goods (cookies, muffins), Blue Bottle Coffee. Brunch on Sunday. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, American, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by VeganTex
petriedish_89
petriedish_89

Great Location & Atmosphere

3 Posted on 08 / 08 / 2013

Stopped here while on vacation in San Francisco and enjoyed it very much! Vegan options clearly labeled on the menu and the staff was very knowledgable about the dishes. I ordered the Plant Burger and it was delicious.

Pros: atmosphere, knowledgeable staff, clearly labeled menu
Cons: slightly pricey
calivegan46
calivegan46

Nice vegan options

4 Posted on 07 / 30 / 2013

Came here for lunch while visiting San Fran. I wanted to eat at one of the many vegan restaurants but had to succumb to a vegan friendly place since I was with an Omni. I got the plant burger (I confirmed all the breads to be vegan) and was delighted at how tasty it was! My entrée came with a salad and potatoes as well. The restaurant had a cool vibe and the waiters were friendly. Good place to come with Omnis but would rather have gone to a vegan place if I could!

Eviecus
Eviecus

Delicious

4 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2013

My husband and I ate here. We had the plant burger which is made from lentils, mushrooms, beets, cashews and bulgar wheat. We had it on a whole wheat sourdough bread. We had a side of mixed greens and potatoe wedges. Everything was really tasty!

Pros: Great choices, good value, friendly and informative staff
shsmile23
shsmile23

Great Food

4 Posted on 01 / 20 / 2013

Really good food with several vegan options...those that are not can often be altered to accomodate. I had the plant burger with sauteed mushrooms and onions; mixed green salad and nicely seasoned potato wedges; very good indeed. Would love to go back and try the breakfast options sometime.

Pros: vegan options, quality
Cons: very busy, menu changes throughout the day
EdGauci
EdGauci

Beautiful Location - very good food

4 Posted on 11 / 03 / 2012

We came here for dinner. This is an omnivore restaurant, but they have several vegan options. The daily special soup was vegan (and really good). They even have vegan desserts.

I had a cup of the soup and the wasabi plant burger. Both were very nice and it was a filling meal. The burger came with greens and wedge fries.

As I said, not a vegan restaurant but clearly they are catering to vegans. We're not an afterthought here.

They have Liberty Ale on tap!

Pros: Very good food, several vegan options, friendly staff
Cons: not cheap

Chia
Chia

Trendy Modern Feel

4 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow and decided to stop by here on my last trip to San Francisco. Here's my The Plant Cafe Organic at Pier 3 review.

Interesting, the restaurant is divided into 2 separate spaces, across from each other. The kitchen and the takeaway counter in one place, and the sit-down restaurant with also outdoor waterfront patio seating on the other side. I saw their staff coming in and out from one place to the other to bring food and orders.

The takeout counter features some fresh baked goods. On the day I visited, there were several marked "V" vegan ones: a vegan chocolate chip cookie, another kind of cookie, vegan muffin, and maybe another thing (can't recall). The coffee brand advertised is Blue Bottle Coffee, which seems to be a big thing here in San Francisco (I think I'll try some tomorrow morning). The Plant also offers fresh pressed juices. My husband got a green juice with beet, and it was good.

Trendy modern slightly upscale vibe but casual okay. Touristy location.

veganamanda
veganamanda

best meal I had in SF

4 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2012

While visiting SF I tried many of the popular vegan restaurants, and was disappointed. On my last day I decided to try The Plant Cafe, as it was close to the Ferry Building and the farmers market. I'm so happy I stopped in! The food was great. I had the Breakfast bowl (young coconut meat | blended with apples & pecans | cinnamon | pure maple syrup) which was unlike anything I had tried before. I also got the vegan sausage and a soy chai latte. Everything was yummy. The staff was friendly and helpful. The only bummer was they seated me at the bar, which can be awkward when you are dinning alone and no one else is seated there! They did give me the option to move though, so I can't fault them too much on that. Try it out!

Pros: good food, good location
Cons: also serves meat
ChristineCook
ChristineCook

Vegan-friendly by the water

3 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2012

Nice atmosphere. You can sit very close to the water. The food was okay. I had the vegan reuben and was not impressed. It was dry and didn't have much flavor. My boyfriend had the veggie burger and it was really good. There are about five vegan options on the menu. The bakery has some vegan options as well. We tried the oatmeal raisin cookie and it was delish.

Pros: Atmosphere, Friendly staff, Vegan-options
smilingveggie
smilingveggie

Awesome place

4 Posted on 11 / 13 / 2011

My sister and i had lunch here in August whilst travelling in San Francisco. We are both strict vegetarians so after a while of walking around we were happy to see the vegetarian options on the menu. We both had burgers and several starters to share; the food was delicious and filling. I seem to remember the salad i had was particularly nice and was recommended by the staff, which were also really friendly and fun

I think it was a bit pricey but then it was in a really nice locationa and you do pay extra for Organic food usually, so it wasn't a problem.

Pros: Delicious food, Good selection, Friendly Staff
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

The Plant Cafe Organic - Pier 3

4 Posted on 11 / 11 / 2011

I don't know why I didn't try Plant Organic Cafe during my last SF visit, but I will say I was certainly missing out! I'm so in love with Plant Cafe Organic that I ended up eating there three times (once at the pier, downtown, and airport location). If you're like me, tired of fake meats, this is the place for you. They have the most amazing burger called the Plant Burger, the patty is made in-house from lentils, mushrooms, beets, cashews & bulgur wheat served with tomato, grilled onions, lettuce, house-made pickles, vegan aioli & side salad (get it on the wheat bread). I loved this burger so much that I ate it for lunch 3 days in a row, what can I say? It was just awesome! The Pier location was beautiful, although it was separated into two - they have a super fancy room for dinner time which faces the bay (very nice view) and a smaller section for brunch and lunch (still has a great view). The employees were super friendly and very helpful when it came to navigating the menu. The pier location definitely my favorite location. (5 cows - the site won't let me rate it above 4)

emilc
emilc

Very nice, veg-friendly restaurant

4 Posted on 09 / 23 / 2011

I had a very enjoyable meal here. The restaurant is situated near the Ferry Building, on the water, with a view of boats and Treasure Island. The atmosphere is modern/chic, yet casual. Full bar and table service, with outdoor seating available. The menu is veg-friendly (they serve meat, too), and clearly denotes vegan and gluten-free options. Ingredients are organic. The fresh spring rolls and plant burger were excellent! The quality of the food is excellent Their mixed drinks, however, were small and overpriced, I feel. Overall, a good choice for this area of SF.

Pros: Water view, High quality food
Cons: Overpriced drinks
VeganTex
VeganTex

Plant Cafe - Pier 3

4 Posted on 09 / 29 / 2010

Great place for vegan burgers.....this location has a nice view of the bay.....perhaps the choice for folks on holiday.

Dear Owner and Manager of The Plant Cafe Organic - Embarcadero Pier 3: